Has anyone played a reissue that is good as an original

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3293
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    It's all too subjective IMO.  Your "dog" could be the greatest thing I've ever played, regardless of age.

Van Halen's black and white and red Strat, and SRV's No.1 were by many accounts utter crap by people who've played them.

I've been lucky enough to have had a lot of bursts in hand, including the Peter Green one, and at least two left handed ones (couldn't play them unfortunately).  

According to all around me at the time the Green guitar was a complete pain in the arse to play.  Didn't seem to bother Green and Moore though :)
    I don't even think green liked playing it that much from what I've read
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not so much a guitar, but a bass. My mates '61 P is nothing short of amazing. Never found a reissue that played that way.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Yeah, I think he got the Les Paul because he liked Clapton’s (presumably the Beano burst) one so much and he was pretty disappointed with how his played compared to Eric’s. Tbh, when you’re talking about Clappers, SRV etc they are so far ahead of most people, I doubt any imperfections in a guitar would especially bother them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    JDE said:
    Yeah, I think he got the Les Paul because he liked Clapton’s (presumably the Beano burst) one so much and he was pretty disappointed with how his played compared to Eric’s. Tbh, when you’re talking about Clappers, SRV etc they are so far ahead of most people, I doubt any imperfections in a guitar would especially bother them.
    I saw Phil Harris play the Peter Green Les Paul at the Haydock Guitar Show about 5 years ago. A great player he is not - and in his hands it sounded unexceptional - yet in Green’s it produced some of the most beautiful sounds ever to come out of an electric guitar.

I’m a great believer that in the tonal hierarchy, the player is head and shoulders above anything else in the signal chain....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3293
    edited March 2019 tFB Trader

I’m a great believer that in the tonal hierarchy, the player is head and shoulders above anything else in the signal chain....
    While i agree with this my priority has always been to make a guitar that's as easy and nice to play as i can get it because I'm not that good, it really makes a difference for us mere ok ish players 

And green was just exceptional in every way when he played that burst, no one has ever come close to him since, it's his tone feel and note choice for me
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:

I've been lucky enough to have had a lot of bursts in hand, including the Peter Green one, and at least two left handed ones (couldn't play them unfortunately).  

According to all around me at the time the Green guitar was a complete pain in the arse to play.  Didn't seem to bother Green and Moore though :)
    I played that same Green/Moore LP for about 15 mins - Opening the case just to look at the guitar was a kid at Disney World moment - You almost expected star dust and Fantazia style orchestral arrangements to appear - Then you freeze and wonder what to play as though you are not worthy - Yet to play it I was certainly not hooked - What ever magic Gary Moore saw in it did not come across to me - I say Gary, more than Pete, as he owned it and play it for many more years than PG ever did, so it must have done something for him - It did just not come across to me as a guitar I'd wish to own, based purely on the playing experience
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092

Totally agree. Although my inability to remember this is why I’m so bloody skint.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader

While i agree with this my priority has always been to make a guitar that's as easy and nice to play as i can get it because I'm not that good, it really makes a difference for us mere ok ish players 

I agree and I try to work on this theory when setting up guitars ready for sale in the shop - It is harder enough already to play the guitar, so I feel part of the job is to maximise the guitars potential with a decent set-up - We might not have the touch and talent of Pete Green, but we want to get the best out of whatever talent we have and as such a decent set-up, on a guitar we feel comfortable with goes along way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom