Has anyone played a reissue that is good as an original

What's Hot

Comments

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I was surprised to see an 88 Les Paul Standard featured on Norman’s Rare Guitars very recently. It was identical to my 88 Standard, even down to the buckle rash on the back. 
    Ive owned the guitar from new, and consider it to be an ok Les Paul, nothing more.
     I also have a modern McCarty which sounds and plays better in every way.
    It amuses me slightly that 80s guitars are now beginning to have some vintage mystique attached to them as well.
    it really is all in the mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    edited March 2019
    JDE said:

interesting thread, would be really curious to see what people think about this with acoustics, as that’s probably the real litmus test.
    I'm not an expert on other brands, but unless you go for the very old (and very expensive) ones, I prefer a good modern Martin dreadnought.  I've got an HD28V now, but before I bought that, I tried a few early 70s ones, and they were nowhere as good as the HD28V, and were about the same price.  Martin changed the material used for the bridgeplate around 1968, and didn't change it back until 1988 or thereabouts.  I'm certain you are better off with a modern Martin than one from that era.

I've played a mid 60's Martin with the "correct" bridgeplate material and Brazilian back and sides, and I still prefer the HD28V.  The HD28V has the pre-war style bracing now marketed as "forward shifted".  The post war Martin bracing just doesn't sound as good to me.

I've had mine for more than ten years now, and it does sound better now than when it was new.  It really seemed to open up at around 5 years old.  For me, the optimum is probably a modern build with 10 or 15 years of real age on it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10275
    I’ve got a 64 Strat. Pre CBS. I’ve also had a 67 Tele. 

The big big difference for me is the neck. It’s played in, it doesn’t have that symmetrical neck wear. The wear on the body feels real, and it can often feel overdone on the relic stuff. 

I’ve had a few AVRI Teles and a Strat and for me, they didn’t compare to the real thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 810
    Lots of reissues are as good as some originals. Surely the question though is are the best reissues as good as the best originals? Impossible to answer definitively but on the evidence I’ve seen I would say no. I’ve played quite a few CS Strats and none have been as good as my original ‘63 or even a ‘72 I used to own. Some have been close though.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    Lots of reissues are as good as some originals. Surely the question though is are the best reissues as good as the best originals? Impossible to answer definitively but on the evidence I’ve seen I would say no. I’ve played quite a few CS Strats and none have been as good as my original ‘63 or even a ‘72 I used to own. Some have been close though.
    Yes, I think that is the question and I agree as well, in that I haven’t found a reissue that’s as good as my ‘65.  I’ve played and owned plenty of CS Strats, some of which have been really good guitars but the ‘65 to date is all-round better. What does that mean?  For me it’s that everything taken together is pretty much perfect, particularly the sound - but maybe that’s just me fitting with a particular guitar.  I’m surprised though I can’t find it readily in reissues.

On big names selling their originals, I think if I’d had decades of fun/experience making classic albums, selling out shows, was a masterful player and could raise a million squid for whatever reason (usually charitable purposes) I’d probably sell up too.  I don’t think they’ve thought, “CS guitars are better, I want rid of this old thing” - that decision has been made for lots of reasons only one of which is CS guitars are decent enough for me to use now at this stage of my career and say goodbye to this guitar I have loved.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    edited March 2019
    I've had a 64 Jaguar, 65 Mustang, 67 ES330 and a 68 SG.

I've never been blown away with any of them, they have all gone and been replaced with more recent models. They have all been great, but I've never had that wow moment.

I do think there's a lot of hype and romance attached to them, maybe that drove my expectations to be unrealistic. Got to play them for yourself and decide.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9369
    I’ve played and spent time with both. The best ever tele I played was a very very worn 63 sunburst. I played 8-10 teles in the shop, vintage and cs and it had that “thing.” 

The best strat I’ve ever played was a reissue that I’m lucky enough to own.

There are great guitars in any area at any price point, it’s just about finding the ones that speak to you.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Gerz6558 said:
    Was your 330 a sunburst with a retrofit Bigsby by any chance? Bought mine from a guy from
    Deansgate around 2007. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6911
    It’s probably worth pointing out that most famous players - who can afford any guitar they desire - tend not to play vintage guitars these gays.

Bit harsh mate! Nothing macho about playing old guitars ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10275
    edited March 2019
    Joe B, John Mayer, John Frusicante, Josh Klinghoffer, Gary Clark Jr, Dan Auerbach, Jack White, and all of the players who play that kind of style play vintage guitars. They also play modern guitars but they definitely play vintage models. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3299
    tFB Trader
    Joe B, John Mayer, John Frusicante, Josh Klinghoffer, Gary Clark Jr, Dan Auerbach, Jack White, and all of the players who play that kind of style play vintage guitars. They also play modern guitars but they definitely play vintage models. 
    It's not all that style  ;)

I'm building a dc junior to replace a vintage junior for touring, it's played in c #,  it's stoner rock type stuff, juniors do sound bloody good in a rock band 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    When I found my Strat in CCGX, they also had a '63 refin that had reportedly belonged to Chris Rea. I spent quite a while swapping between them and was hard pressed to say which I liked better. That made it a no brainer to go for the newer one (a 50s Hot Rod) at a fifth of the price. But I've only ever played one other pre-CBS Strat and I don't remember anything about the other one (I was 19). I can't say how good that '63 was relative to others of the era. And it wasn't a blind test, so I can't say how much was psychological. I do bloody love my Strat though.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12938
    edited March 2019
    I find it strange that (many) guitarists believe that with at least half a century's worth of experience manufacturing guitars for a mass audience somehow the industry has got worse at it. It's nonsense. 

Whether or not guitars sound better as they get older is an interesting question but remember that when all those vintage recordings were made those vintage guitars were in fact new guitars. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    I find it strange that (many) guitarists believe that with at least half a century's worth of experience manufacturing guitars for a mass audience somehow the industry has got worse at it. It's nonsense. 

Whether or not guitars sound better as they get older is an interesting question but remember that when all those vintage recordings were made those vintage guitars were in fact new guitars.
    I’m not sure you can use industry experience as a justification - you could say that by the 70s, Fender and Gibson were much more experienced than in the 50s, so the quality would have been better... but it objectively wasn’t. In fact, I would say that the most important thing the vintage guitar market has done is to finally teach the companies how to do it right again...

The other question is whether the old wood was better, even when it was new - because it was ‘old growth’ timber, and was dried naturally in air over years rather than being kiln dried. This *may* be true, especially for mahogany and rosewood, and possibly for ash, but probably less so for maple. So the argument is that the old guitars sounded better even when they were new. But that’s now impossible to test.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter though - you can get great sounds from either old or new. The age of the guitar is so far down the list of factors in a guitar sound that it’s irrelevant to anyone except the player, and that’s largely to do with feel rather than tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14353
    tFB Trader

That has been said many times before

All Right Now was played on an 11 year old guitar
    Albratros on a 9 year old guitar
    And Hendrix just about only played new guitars

Maybe the age of the guitar was not important - Just the quality of the guitar - As such I agree with @ICBM 's comment - I would say that the most important thing the vintage guitar market has done is to finally teach the companies how to do it right again...
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    JDE said:
    Gerz6558 said:
    Was your 330 a sunburst with a retrofit Bigsby by any chance? Bought mine from a guy from
    Deansgate around 2007. 
    Not guilty! 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited March 2019
    Reading through this thread apart from my 1969 hardtail Strat, I don't have any vintage guitars. But its dawned on me that some other guitars I own are actually quite 'old' compared to the list above from @guitars4you. In fact, only 2 of my guitars are in single figures age wise...a 2010 Strat Limited Edition and a Yamaha Pacifica 611VFM.  

1969 Strat - 50 yrs old
    1976 Yamaha FG145 acoustic - 43 yrs old
    1980 Washburn EA30 - 39 yrs old
    1989 Epi Sheraton (Samick) - 30 yrs old
    1988 USA Tele - 31 yrs old
    1990 LP Custom - 29 yrs old
    2002 PRS Cu24 - 17 yrs old
    2004 50th Anniv USA Strat -15 yrs old
    2006 SG Standard -13 yrs old

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Interestingly in the vintage clothing / jewellery / home wares market,  vintage is defined as anything older than 20 years.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    SimonC said:
    Interestingly in the vintage clothing / jewellery / home wares market,  vintage is defined as anything older than 20 years.
    Whereas for cars it's one made between 1919 and 1930.

The question for guitars is, is it one made before (say) 1969, or one made more than (say) 30 years ago? Or to put it another way, do you consider the guitars which were so poor that they started the whole vintage market off in the first place to be vintage themselves now that they're 40 years old?

Discuss...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    It's all too subjective IMO.  Your "dog" could be the greatest thing I've ever played, regardless of age.

Van Halen's black and white and red Strat, and SRV's No.1 were by many accounts utter crap by people who've played them.

I've been lucky enough to have had a lot of bursts in hand, including the Peter Green one, and at least two left handed ones (couldn't play them unfortunately).  

According to all around me at the time the Green guitar was a complete pain in the arse to play.  Didn't seem to bother Green and Moore though :)