What was the first musicians guitar that you ever desired?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
A) What was the first musicians guitar that you ever desired?

B) Did you ever get one?

C) If yes, still got one now?

For me it was Alex Lifesons Gibson ES-335. I was a Rush fanboy in my youth, late 70s. I had a poster on my bedroom wall of Rush live.

Never got one. I lost interest in that look later. I've never actually wanted one after that initial period, but it will always be the first guitar I hankered after.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14454
    tFB Trader
    My early days o learning to play and indeed buying/selling and actual signature models were barely in existence - Going back to 1978

I wanted a 335 or many years based on Alvin Le and Ten Years After - But when I got it I never liked it

After that I've never really wanted guitar A because player B has one - Until about 4 years ago - Right place, right time, but came across a 66 era Epi Riviera similar to that of Robben Ford - Still have it and love it
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I think it might have been Kirk Hammet's ESP that looked like a Les Paul with a Floyd on it. I wanted an LP, but I wanted everything else too. Have my cake and eat it, as it were.

Nowadays, I'm not interested in playing that kind of stuff, I don't really want actives* and I wouldn't go anywhere near a Floyd. Now, a Zakk Wylde LP without the bullseye nonsense, that'd do nicely.

*I know there's a decent chance of me getting actives on something "just to mess about on." There's always just one more, eh?
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 275
    Ibanez JS and JEM, thanks to Satch and Vai. I did have a JEM 555, then a 7BSB, both gone now, and my dad has a JS100 which I've played.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
    Gibson SG because of Tony Iommi and Zal Cleminson. Had a Columbus copy first then a real one for a couple of years until 1980 but then switched to a Strat which just suited me so much better. Haven't owned an SG since.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1176
    Andy Powell's Flying V, never owned one.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682
    edited April 2019
    axisus said:

For me it was Alex Lifesons Gibson ES-335. I was a Rush fanboy in my youth, late 70s. I had a poster on my bedroom wall of Rush live.

Mine was also Rush inspired, but I started out as a bass player so it was a black Rickenbacker (I can’t recall whether it was a 4001 or 4003).  Mine had been modded with an additional set of Precision pickups.  It played well but it never sounded right.

Geddy Lee also inspired a later purchase - a Jazz Bass.  After searching for a good Fender I found a second hand Tokai which I still have more than 30 years later (although it is now a fret less).
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Kirk Hammett and kinda. Had an M-II deluxe rather than the sig model.

I was more than happy.

The second was Joe Satriani. Got one of those too, a black pearl JS1000
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Francis Rossi’s green Telecaster.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7177
    Cobalt Stargazer's 'Sleazegrinder' Les Paul Standard.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1975
    Chris Holmes' Charvel Star and yes, I did own one, but I don't have it now - It wasn't the most practical instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72708
    Phil Manzanera's black Les Paul Custom.

I've owned two Customs and several other Les Pauls, but never a black one with three pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    When I was a little kid I really liked Paul McCartney's violin bass.
    When I grew up I really liked his Rickenbacker.
    I bought a Rickenbacker. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Robert Smith's white Jazzmaster. I bought the first Jazzmaster I found, which happened to be white. I love it to bits and would never part with it. 
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    Like a lot of others, a Rick 330 because of The Jam. Got one, had it for about 3 months. Wasn’t for me at all.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4159
    DeeTee said:
    I think it might have been Kirk Hammet's ESP that looked like a Les Paul with a Floyd on it. I wanted an LP, but I wanted everything else too. Have my cake and eat it, as it were.

Might be the same one I wanted. First time I'd seen live footage of Metallica was the Freddie Mercury tribute gig at Wembley . 

It was a flat top single cut - and I really wanted it .

• RockerRocker Frets: 4998
    Brian Robertson's black Les Paul Custom.  I got one soon after and it was a good one.  Not a great one but good.  That was in 1979, a year I will never forget.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DominicDominic Frets: 16182
    embarrassed to admit it was the star shaped things played by members of Gary's Glitterband and the Dave Hill of Slade star shaped monstrosity
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    proggy said:
    When I was a little kid I really liked Paul McCartney's violin bass.
    When I grew up I really liked his Rickenbacker.
    I bought a Rickenbacker. 
    Wiz awarded - partly because every bassist should have a RIC and partly to annoy Bridgehouse. :-p
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1357
    James Dean Bradfield's White Les Paul Custom, had to settle for the Epiphone!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17692
    tFB Trader
    Ace Frehley's 3 pickup sunburst Les Paul. I had a poster of him playing it on my wall when I was about 14

Turns out I don't really like Les Pauls or 3 humbucker guitars.

I also wanted a JS1000 in burnt petrol blue mostly because it was the most expensive guitar in my local guitar shop when I was a kid. Got one in a trade for LOLs. It's a surprisingly versatile guitar, but I can't get my head around floyd rose trems so I flipped it almost immediately.