What was the first musicians guitar that you ever desired?

What's Hot

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6882
    edited April 2019
    These two around the same time.

Jerry Hortons (Papa Roach) Schecter:

Chad Ginsburgs (Cky) Ibanez:

I doubt the cky ibanez was ever released to buy, but the schecter was, though only in black or silver by the time I realised you could buy it.. though I couldnt afford it! 

So back about 11 years ago I actually bought the cheapest red humbucker guitar I could find, which was a £150 Ibanez Gio in candy apple red. Drove all the way to cambridge to pick it up, and intended to have the roach logo somehow put on it.. 

I remember driving to a guitar place I found online, somewhere in Kent I think, that advertised as being able to add graphics or art work or whatnot.. could have been simms y'kno, but it was so long ago I have no real idea.. anyway I got stuck in traffic halfway there and never made it.. and never went back.. 

I still have it on my wall, in D standard tuning.. I wanted to replace it with a mid range ibanez for my D standard/ drop C  tunings etc.. 

But around the same time back then I also bought a Kh-202 and only recently got shot of it.. bit of a mistake as it was a great playing guitar.. hey ho. I always also planned to replace that with a kh-602.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23218
    The guitars I've wanted have always been fairly independent of the guitarists I admired. 

My first guitar heroes were Blackmore and Schenker and although I've owned lots of Strats and a few Vs, I don't think it was really inspired by them.

My first decent guitar was a Hamer Special.  The only person I can remember seeing with one, at the time, was some bloke on the back cover of a Johnny Van Zant Band album.

I suppose my preference for big-headstock Strats may be subconsciously influenced by Trower, Roth and Blackmore.  And maybe I was drawn to LP Juniors because of Leslie West... but I don't think so.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    DeeTee said:
    I think it might have been Kirk Hammet's ESP that looked like a Les Paul with a Floyd on it. I wanted an LP, but I wanted everything else too. Have my cake and eat it, as it were.

Might be the same one I wanted. First time I'd seen live footage of Metallica was the Freddie Mercury tribute gig at Wembley . 

It was a flat top single cut - and I really wanted it .
    That's the one! 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13965
    Steve Jones (Sx Pistols) White Les Paul Custom. I used to flick through the pics in the Sex Pistols file book whistfully gazing at it.

Paul Weller's beaten up black Rickenbacker 330 with painted black scratchplate and black truss rod cover with the R stoptail replaced with a Gibson type. That's the one he used on the Trans Global Express tour and final live TV performance on The Tube.

I have been lucky enough to own both a Les Paul Custom and Ric 330 in the past and sold them. I didn't sound like either Steve Jones or Paul Weller with them.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    When I was a starry-eyed nipper I wanted to play bass and it was a Rickenbacker that I aspired to coz of Lemmy in Hawkwind. After 40 years of salivating I still don't have one! I keep looking and trying and almost buying, but no matter how much I want one, I can't get around the fact that I don't like how they feel. I love everything about the 4003/ 4001 but I haven't come across one that I have liked playing. :(

I've never been inspired to get any other 'star' guitar since, although I really wish I'd bought one of the Wayne Kramer signature Strats a few years ago.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6864
    Nuno's Washburn N4 - would still have one now. In the end at the time I made do with a Fender HM Strat and sanded the paint off it. 

Prince's telecaster which was well within my range 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
    There were two really, a Gibson Byrdland because of Ted Nugent and a pre-CBS Strat for early Hendrix tones. 

I got the Strat with money from my first few gigs when I was 17, and funnily enough nearly part-exed it toward a Byrdland last year, but really needed the cash instead. 

I still like those old Nugent records, but I'd probably use a Byrdland more for its intended application today! 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    All my early heroes (Clapton, Knopfler, Gilmour) played Strats. I got my first in 1981. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No question. I'm only surprised it's not been mentioned.

https://images.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/df51/0b10/4ef5_5659992653/jimmy-page-2neck-red-M.jpg

I wanted a Dragon suit too. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8811
    Embarrassing as it is to admit, Kerry King’s BC Rich ?Warlock.

there was a competition to win it in Kerrang and as I spent a long hot summer working in a factory in Macclesfield I genuinely believed it was my destiny (a) to win it, and (b) instantly to be catapulted to leather trousered rock godhood.

In the end I went back to school and started my A levels.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    All my early heroes (Clapton, Knopfler, Gilmour) played Strats. I got my first in 1981. 

I don't think you can beat the sound of a Strat.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3644
    Jimi -Strat obvs.

Got Strats but never owned a white one though.  :/

Image result for jimi at woodstock
  • I bought a black squier strat in the vein of Iron Maiden but was too ignorant to appreciate the difference between single coils and humbuckers at the time. My first proper guitar was a Steve Vai Jem 555 in white... still got it.. and it's still white which is quite something for me.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited April 2019
    For me it was "that" Les Paul that Gary Moore played in Still got the blues, it wasn't until over twenty years later that I owned a LP. I'll never part with it!

https://i.imgur.com/lO2WUqI.jpg
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    I suppose it would have been Dave Mustain's King V from when he was a Jackson player.. 

So i got a JS series Jackson King V, which i loved for a long time. Recently sold it though, as it just wasn't used at all..
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited April 2019
     Bruce Springsteen’s Tele/Esquire was the first for me. 

I have a butterscotch black guard Tele so close. 

Then Vai’s swirl pattern and blue floral Ibanez’s. I did buy the reissue of the blue floral a couple of years back. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    edited April 2019

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1654
    Richie Sambora's Strats with the star neck inlays. Looked cool as hell to a 16 year old me. Still want one now but they've shot up in price and people seem to be trying to get like 2.5k for them now :-(
  • I loved the look of Mick Abraham's cherry SG, but despite that I knew it wasn't the sound I wanted. Kind of muddy sounding.

It had to be a Strat, so thats what I got.

Still love the look of SGs though

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27303
    I'm not sure about *specific* instruments, but I remember falling in love with SGs after seeing Kelly Jones playing one of Jools or TOTP around 1999 or so. 

Grant Nicholas's (Feeder) silver JM obviously had an impact on me after seeing them live, as I forgot about it, but ended up building my own very similar guitar, and realised the connection about a year later. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires