What was the first musicians guitar that you ever desired?

What's Hot

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Gary Moore and Slash and honey  burst Les Paul's. Have a 2003 Standard Plus Top in honey burst consequently. Play my Juniors mostly as they not as heavy on my poor old shoulders. Love my Standard though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 275
    Grant Nicholas's (Feeder) silver JM obviously had an impact on me after seeing them live, as I forgot about it, but ended up building my own very similar guitar, and realised the connection about a year later. 
    Random thing, last year Feeder played the Godney Gathering near Glastonbury. An old school friend of mine is their touring guitarist. I was a bit sneaky and asked my friend if we could go and meet the band as Mrs Monkey is a huge Feeder fan. And we did, it was awesome. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4159
    In addition to the Hammett guitar I mentioned earlier I remember buying he VHS of The Song Remains The Same and wanting every guitar Jimmy used. 

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3098
    Tim Farriss of INXS's sunburst Tele in 88 when I was 15 (on the back of the Kick artwork). I then resisted getting a Tele until about six weeks ago. @Skarloey
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I even remember the specific image. I saw this picture when I was a kid and thought “that’s the one for me” https://flic.kr/p/RDtoHV

Closest I’ve ever come was a 61RI, although I have played a few vintage SG’s. 
  • As a kid.....Eddie Cochrans Gretsch 6120.
    And in mid life crisis/old age.....Setzers 6120.

It has to be in that orange colour if anyone wants to give/buy me one.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7347

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Grant Nicholas's (Feeder) silver JM obviously had an impact on me after seeing them live, as I forgot about it, but ended up building my own very similar guitar, and realised the connection about a year later. 
    Random thing, last year Feeder played the Godney Gathering near Glastonbury. An old school friend of mine is their touring guitarist. I was a bit sneaky and asked my friend if we could go and meet the band as Mrs Monkey is a huge Feeder fan. And we did, it was awesome. 
    Nice! 

They seem like great blokes, and always good live. I was front row for their Dubai gig late last year. Properly brilliant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    Bolan's Les Paul, then Page's Les Paul

I ended up with a 3-pickup Black Beauty because I formed a Stones tribute band.  Lucky that it happens to be about the coolest guitar ever made, even if a burst was what I always had in my mind's eye.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    First - Rory's battered Strat.  I did get a pooburst fixed bridge Strat. I was young and impressionable so didn't last.

Second - Eric's Blackie, then 90s Pewter Gray. I got a 90s Strat Plus Deluxe (with Blue/Silver/Red Lace Sensors, passive TBX mid-boost , a Wilkinson roller bridge, in Blue Frost - I still have it.

Much GAS/DeGAS intervened ....

More recently, about 10years ago (my 50th gift to me) I got a Sadowsky Jim Hall Special.  That's going nowhere.

Last year I got a Mike Stern Pacifica. Really great guitar.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5077
    Jimmy Page’s Sunburst Les Paul. I’ve had plenty of Les Pauls since the desire first hit me but I’ve never owned a Jimmy Page signature model, not yet anyway...  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1861
    Probably the first one was Peter Buck's black Rickenbacker. Not going to get one unless I find one for $150 like he did.
    I've also had a thing for the greenburst Burns Gaz Coombes used to use in supergrass.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • steersteer Frets: 1203
    Knopflers Pensa, after watching the Mandella concert

Image result for knopfler pensa
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9755
    57Deluxe said:

I'd forgotten Mick Ronson's LP.  Another one I quite fancied at one time. Although with Ronson the tone is definitely in the fingers. Here he is with a Tele and no effects, just amp gain...

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1812
    edited April 2019
    This is the one:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5a/af/07/5aaf07005f5028d598def10421cb59f3.jpg

Finally managed to to buy one 4 years ago and can’t see me ever selling it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 233
    Rickenbacker 330 because of Paul Weller. It was white and it sat mostly in its case for 28 years as I just didn't use it. Sold it 3 years ago as a guitar should be for playing
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    First guitar I lusted after was the Les Paul Slash used on the live in Paris gig as part of the Use Your Illusion tour. It was screened on channel 4 and my Dad recorded it for me as I was too young to stay up and watch the whole thing. I think I wore the VHS out I watched it so much.

After that it would definitely be the tobacco burst ish coloured Les Paul Paul Kossoff used on some of the Free TV appearances.

I had an Epi Les Paul as a reward for doing well in my GCSEs and I played it to death for years. Got a full fat USA Les Paul a few years ago and last week got a 2009 R8 I’m totally in love with!
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2380
    James Dean Bradfield's white LP Custom

Crap picture, but from a great era :)

Bought the guitar when I could finally afford one in 2008, still got it :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    An Ibanez Jem.

I was hugely into Steve Vai when I started in the early 90s but could never afford one so I had a Peavey tracer with a Floyd Rose instead. I loved that guitar but couldn't play it for toffee, wish i still had it though!
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    First two for me after listening to rock for years were the JS1, (actually probably the Donnie Hunt graphics version), and MusicMan EVH. Got both eventually. Sold the JS1, but have a Chromeboy and Blackdog.