What was the first musicians guitar that you ever desired?

What's Hot

Comments

• Rick Parfitt’s Tele
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I also wanted a Rickenbacker 4001, firstly due to Lemmy using one in Hawkwind and later Mike Mills using one in the early days of REM. I impulse bought one for a ridiculously low price and it has become my favourite bass. 
    I've had random people offer me a lot of money for it, but I'm not parting with it, ever.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited April 2019
    Strat. Hendrix. Cliched I know. Bought one, loved it, still love it. 

Then a les Paul because of a random poster I had as a kid. Not even a famous artist, just such a cool pic of a les Paul playing guitarist with stage lights flaring all over the photo. 

It was glorious 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12406
    Angus Young’s SG looked so badass to this 10yr old boy. Now I have one and it’s my No.1 although not my most “comfortable” guitar. That would be a Telecaster, but I currently don’t own one.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    Kurt Cobains mustang. 
    Ive bought an owned the fender artist sig jaguar and mustang plus was bought the jagstang as a Christmas present years ago. 
    I kept the jaguar the longest and the jagstang the shortest. 

I found the jagstang neck to be tiny and the pickups crap, plus the girl that bought me it dumped me afterwards so win win as it turned out I sold it for stupid money. 

I wanted to keep the KC mustang but needs must and it was that or the jaguar at the time that needed to go. The jag had to go in the end too as it wouldn’t intonate for some reason and it bugged the hell out of me. 

One day I’ll buy a white mustang with red bowling ball guard and mod it. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    edited April 2019
    Scotty Moore's ES 295.
    Never owned one till I was in my late 30s. Couldn't really get on with it and sold it within about 3 months.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited April 2019
    Kirk Hammett was (and still is) the first (and only) guitarist’s guitar that I ever wanted.

The ESP KH-2 had been my dream guitar ever since I started playing, but I realised very early on that I was never going to be able to afford a real one.

So I bought my first model while I was a student, a brand new LTD KH-202 from Denmark St. I played it till my fingers bled, so to speak. But I always knew Kirk plays neck throughs, so when I got into a band, I upgraded to a KH-602.

I loved that guitar and thought it was as close as I was going to get to the real thing. In fact I loved it so much I bought a second one, all the while not even daring to think about getting a real ESP model.

But one day about a year ago, through pure luck I spotted an ESP KH-2 neck through pop up on Facebook marketplace nearby... for an irresistibly tempting price. After a week of agonising over it, I made an offer, and brought it home.

Since then I’ve sold all my other KH models and never looked back. I finally own my dream guitar, and it’s every bit as good as I thought it would be!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Page, and his Les Paul.

Zeppelin, and specifically Page, just rocked my world, he is singularly responsible for me playing guitar.

For donkey's years I wanted an LP, but back then left handed Gibsons were non existent, so when I finally found one (Codas, Luton), it was the first one I'd ever played, a beautiful 81 black Custom.  Weighed a ton, but Les Pauls do I'd read.

A little later it did my back in and had to go.

It was a wonderful thing, aside from the weight, I won't forget it but I wouldn't want it back either, except maybe to weigh it :)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Steve Vai's Jem.

Stubborn git still won't let go of it !
  • RichardTRichardT Frets: 71
    Carlos S., Yamaha SG175/2000. With the Buddha thang.

Had a low-end Yam SG for a while  years later, didn't get on with it.
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Izzy Stradlin's Black LP Custom, I have two of them now

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Alnico said:
    Steve Vai's Jem.

Stubborn git still won't let go of it !
    That's why it has a handle on it.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Slash's Les Paul, which at the time (I was 16) I thought was a Gibson and in Cherry Sunburst. For my 18th birthday I was incredibly lucky to receive a Gibson LP Custom in Cherry Sunburst. Picking it out in a shop in Leeds (back in '93) with my Dad remains one of my clearest memories of him. I still have the guitar and it remains my most played.

Other than that, I've always lusted after a Satriani Chromeboy......

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3060
    David Gilmour's Red Strat I think. 

My first guitar was a Squire Strat because of him and I bought my first Fender Strat because of him too.

Still never bought a US Strat though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited April 2019
    I have several.

As a teenager I loved Yamaha SG’s, but I remember Stuart Adamson/Bruce Watson from Big Country with SG1500/2000’s. Steve Rothery has a black SG3000, as did Simon Hinkler from The Mission and John McGeoch had a black SG1000s. I do own an 83 now and it’s ace. Although it weighs 11lbs.

The other Guitar was Gary Moore’s 61 Strat. I eventually bought a 62 Japanese Strat which was amazing. But sonically I like humbuckers. My brother owns it now. 

Alex Lifesons 90’s into 2000’s Scarlet PRS CE24. I did buy one used in 2016 and sold it to help pay for my wedding a year later. But I didn’t bond with it at all. Wheras I played a new CE24 last week and really enjoyed it. 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 247
    I defo went through a steve vai faze many many many years ago.  I always loved the look of that "JEM" but not one I ever purchased.  And the Faze then passed :#
  • Micawber.  After 20-odd years of wanting a blonde Tele I'm finally having a modern interpretation of it made as a partscaster. There'll be a build thread just as soon as I get the body back from being painted!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9718
    Hendrix’s white Strat.

I never got one. In fact I never even owned a Strat until just a few years ago. Once I’d got over lusting for the white Strat I was always more of a Tele Guy. When I did eventually get a Strat it was a black one - white was somehow a bit too showy.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2961
    It was one of these two - might even have been both at the same time...

Deke Leonard/John Cipollina

First guitar was SG shaped, but I didn't get another (real) one for 40 years. Still have that one. :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2643
    Oddly it was Albert King's Gibson Flying V - I saw it in a book and just thought it was the coolest thing. Later I fixated on Robert Fripp's black Les Paul, and I think that was the one I wanted most for longest, but I still hanker after one of those Vs if I see them. If I had the money (or, to be honest, the use for it), I'd have a Feline one, those are lovely.

I never especially wanted a Strat and I thought Teles were just ugly. Which is a shame, as I'm discovering later in life that I'm basically a Fender person.