Cheap, but not nasty

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18869
    Tenebrous said:
    mbe said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Sassafras said:
    I would feel sullied if I had to play a guitar that didn't cost at least £2k.

Having said that, my favourite cheap guitar is this thing:

Vintage AV-2.
    Cost me about a £110.

That's actually a really lovely looking guitar, besides from perhaps the questionable knob placements. If I saw one for £110, I'd be crazy tempted.
    He who questions a man's knob placement must be prepared to have his own knobs criticised.

Oh god, I'm having flashbacks to unfortunate teenage incidents.
    That's the beauty of getting really old, you can't remember your teenage cockups incidents.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Tenebrous said:
    mbe said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Sassafras said:
    I would feel sullied if I had to play a guitar that didn't cost at least £2k.

Having said that, my favourite cheap guitar is this thing:

Vintage AV-2.
    Cost me about a £110.

That's actually a really lovely looking guitar, besides from perhaps the questionable knob placements. If I saw one for £110, I'd be crazy tempted.
    He who questions a man's knob placement must be prepared to have his own knobs criticised.

Oh god, I'm having flashbacks to unfortunate teenage incidents.
    Was really a rejoinder @Sassafras for him questioning @RandallFlagg's knob placement on his new Chapman guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdiAdi Frets: 331
    My main guitar at the moment is Jackson SDX Adrian Smith model, made in Indonesia. I got it off someone from Gumtree for 240£ and I immediately fell in live with it, the neck is superb, overall it's very well made and feels like a much more expensive guitar. Even the stock humbucker was passable, however I got it replaced with SD JB and it sound amazing.
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    Schnozz said:
    I like the Cort G Series, but it's worth looking at their collaboration with Manson if you like Teles. I don't think you can go wrong with Cort stuff and then G&L Tribute.

I was looking into Acoustics, but it's hard to choose between Faith, Tanglewood and Eastman etc...Especially when you've never had an Acoustic.
    I got one of the Cort/Manson tele's for £220 new from Thomann a few months ago. Fantastic guitar for that money. Can't see them available anywhere anymore unfortunately  :dissapointed: 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    My Vintage brand V100, it's a decent guitar, and not just for the money.  It arrived poorly packed from an eBay seller with a crack in the headstock.  I got the money refunded and repaired the crack following advice from @ICBM for which I am grateful

Since it was essentially a freebie and I had some parts lying around I've tricked it out with DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF and Super Distortion pickups, a push/pull CTS harness and (best of all) a rude toggle switch

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Seymour's, STK-S4 in the neck and middle, Pearly Gates in the bridge. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188

Which model is that? looks to tick my current GAS boxes ...

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    There's a Vintage Thomas Blug strat for sale near me and I'm hugely tempted but know little about them - it's within the 250 budget too! 
    mrleon83 said:

Which model is that? looks to tick my current GAS boxes ...

Early-ish SD24 (24 fret).  ;)
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    My go to guitar even though I hate the look of it is an Korean ibanez rg321mh. Got it for 100 quid. Never had anything too expensive my mim Tele is the big money guitar.

The RG is rock solid and plays great
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    edited April 2019
    Yamaha AES got mine (a 420 model) off of someone on the old forum for 100 quid including a decent gig bag.
    Chunky neck, contoured lp body, wrap tail. Stuck some iron gear rolling mills in (tbh, the yamaha neck "bucker was ok, bridge less so) and it's been great fun the last ten years or so I've had it.
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    Picked up a musicman sub Silo3 from classifieds on here recently for cheap. Superb guitar, immense fun to play. Really well put together and neck feels wonderful. Even at new prices they're a steal. It's a great modding platform given the quality of the fit and finish. Barely picking up my tele deluxe as a result. 

Another mention for SX guitars. I've had a couple of teles over time and they've all been very good. 
    Rather underrated guitars these. Having played this back to back with an EBMM Axis Supersport... the Axis was better sounding (a bit) but the necks were very, very close in feel. Wonder why EB brought production back in house & gave it to his lad Sterling to look after?  ;)

• 19791979 Frets: 87
    I’ve a 22 Fret Godin SD like the one @Kittyfrisk has posted above and for £200 it’s phenomenal. Godin do not get the love they deserve in my opinion 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2907
    edited April 2019
    I'm a big fan of affordable but quality guitars. I think you have to have a minimum threshold to allow for decent quality hardware and construction but imo there's so much bollocks spouted in this industry that's lapped up by consumers (myself included sometimes). At the end of the day it's some wires strapped to a piece of wood, there's only so far you can go with that before the returns diminish. My main was an Epiphone LP for years and it was great.

JHS Vintage guitars are very good. I wish the neck profile was a bit fatter but that's just personal preference. Will still probably end up with one of their LP Jrs eventually  got my eye on one of the new Squier Tele Deluxe 70s as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bought a second hand Blackstar HT1R & this came along, plus a case full of cute Danelectro pedals.
    It would have been impolite to turn them down at the price  ;)  Usual awful JHS/Vintage relicing is thankfully minimal 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2907
    PSA relevant to this thread - someone on Facebook is selling one of them pink Gould Shock SG Jrs for £100! I'd have that in a heartbeat if I wasn't imminently moving house. 
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited April 2019
    TTBZ said:
    PSA relevant to this thread - someone on Facebook is selling one of them pink Gould Shock SG Jrs for £100! I'd have that in a heartbeat if I wasn't imminently moving house. 
    https://i.imgur.com/DP63APW.jpg

It's mine. Thanks for the promotion! 
    I'm selling my Squier JM Deluxe too.
    I rather like that, even if it is a little hello kitty-tastic  ;)
    Godin SDxt