Cheap, but not nasty

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18867
    Tokai Love Rock 2 Double cut. MIJ for export.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nighthawk custom reissue. Not much loved by most people, but it's featherweight & the neck pickup sounds lovely (and I have a Seymour Slant Humbucker to go in the bridge at some point).

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 845
    Nighthawk custom reissue. Not much loved by most people, but it's featherweight & the neck pickup sounds lovely (and I have a Seymour Slant Humbucker to go in the bridge at some point).

I've never seen one of those before looks different in a good way to me: )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd love a Gibson Nighthawk, but I'm too tight to splash the cash  ;)
    Gibson owners don't generally like them as they aren't 'proper' Les Pauls...
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    1970's ? MIJ Tele copy with unusual figured neck wood. Looks like compressed laminated bamboo, but a nice chunky profile.

I've been through three of these. They are great and I love them.
    Gigged one with a pair of hot rails in it for years.
    Just sold the last one I had a few weeks ago as I'm downsizing and the Sue Ryder tele I got for £60 blew them all away once I put a set of old CV pickups and a wilkinson bridge in it (got given them for nowt).
    Also the neck spacing is a bit thin, and my left hand is not as adaptable as it was twenty years ago.
    No idea about the woods, but mine all felt good and hefty - sounded great too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    1970's ? MIJ Tele copy with unusual figured neck wood. Looks like compressed laminated bamboo, but a nice chunky profile.

Just sold the last one I had a few weeks ago as I'm downsizing and the Sue Ryder tele I got for £60 blew them all away once I put a set of old CV pickups and a wilkinson bridge in it (got given them for nowt).
    Also the neck spacing is a bit thin, and my left hand is not as adaptable as it was twenty years ago.
    @Dave_Vader ;Glad that you enjoyed them all. Did any of them have any clue as to a maker (not that it matters)?

Edit: forgot to tag poster.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1704
    I played an epi Nighthawk and it was very good .
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360

@Dave_Vader Glad that you enjoyed them all. Did any of them have any clue as to a maker (not that it matters)?

Edit: forgot to tag poster.
    Not a one of them no. All had been stripped before I got to them - my favourite was finished in what looked and felt like fence paint.

I've seen a similar one with a National badge on it online

This is the closest I ever found to an online version. Always assumed they were Jedson/Teisco etc.

'Always assumed they were Jedson/Teisco etc.'
    Me too, or possibly Kay, but not losing sleep over not knowing 
    ;)
    Cheers. 
    Vintage Lemon Drop PG. Fitted scratchplate to hide 'relicing'   ;)
    Looks like I'll just have to keep this thread going  ;)
    Yes, it's a Hondo. Nice weight, solid maple block, great neck & sounds, plus good hardware & attention to detail. 
    Corks will be sniffed, but in terms of value, playability & fun. I'll take it every time.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7892
    Wow, thats's a nicely made guitar, Looks lovely!
    edited May 2019
    TheMarlin said:
    Wow, thats's a nicely made guitar, Looks lovely!
    I believe they suffer from 'brand association' with their worst efforts (which to be fair, could be pretty awful). 

My powers of prophesy are being very occasionally, completely wonky 
    Edit: this was referring to my ability to spot a future bargain :facepalm!

More randomness to follow 
    Hondo II 'Fat Boy' L5 copy. USA DiMarzio's & as much a rock out box as a jazzer ;-)

Hondo II 'Fat Boy' L5 copy. USA DiMarzio's & as much a rock out box as a jazzer ;-)

I’d that a MIJ one?  I’ve always loved the sound of an L5, especially with flatwounds. That lovely dull thud woody tone.  Bit out of my pay grade...
    ^ The jury is out (probably permanently) on the country of production.
    Some say they were made in Japan... some say they came from Korea... some say... this is all getting a bit Jeremy Clarkson  :o
    I don't actually know or particularly care  ;)

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    The majority were made in Korea and I believe that Tokai Gakki produced the Fender Lead II copies.
    ^ Like I said, Some say they were made in Japan... 
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/65954/sold-hondo-fat-boy-l5-jazz-guitar-for-sale-215

If anyone can show me definitive evidence as to point of origin, that'll be fine by me.
    Until then statements like 'The majority were made in Korea and I believe that Tokai Gakki produced the Fender Lead II copies.'  don't really mean much, as this clearly isn't a Fender Lead II copy  ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    Not that it matters, one of the nices Fender tele’s I’ve ever played was a Fender Chinese built model. Squire China was fantastic too

Country of origin has little to do with quality
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    Squire 51 - well cool for the money. Just sold one to make way for the amazingly good Simon Neil Strat. Both under £200