Why is it USA guitars....

What's Hot
SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
... are generally seen top of the tree? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18807
    Having lit the fuse, retire to a safe distance & await the reaction  ;)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
    edited May 2019
    Having lit the fuse, retire to a safe distance & await the reaction 
    To be fair I have had a glass of wine and should know better: )
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers. I'd look for something a little stronger  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Popcorn ready. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ... are generally seen top of the tree? 
    Because guitarists can't see past 1959?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9317
    They get the best wood because they don’t care how many trees they chop down
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I think it's because the big two started in the US and wanted to protect that brand. So when they farmed out production to other countries, they made sure that the only models being constructed there were the lower end offerings. I don't think they workmanship in the US is inherently better, it's that the US is where they chose to put the higher end things.

That gave "Made in the US" a certain cache that has carried over to other brands, rightly or wrongly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3217
    Because they are more expensive and everyone knows: more expensive means better right?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    American companies are behind the iconic designs that most other luthiers/builders make. And the top 3 mainstream brands (Gibson, fender and PRS) are American companies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    DeeTee said:
    I think it's because the big two started in the US and wanted to protect that brand. So when they farmed out production to other countries, they made sure that the only models being constructed there were the lower end offerings. I don't think they workmanship in the US is inherently better, it's that the US is where they chose to put the higher end things.

That gave "Made in the US" a certain cache that has carried over to other brands, rightly or wrongly.
    I suppose, that lines up with my thinking. 

If I think about there cars they are usually unreliable, very heavy and poorly finished.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    because

a.) you have bought into the "made in the USA hype"
    b.) because they charge more as they have to pay their staff more
    c.) because the majority of english speaking guitar forums are dominated by Americans who believe A above
    d.) because the bean counters didn't start the the sales process with "we want to sell this guitar for less than $500"
    e.) all of above
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    edited May 2019
    I think that they were.

They aren't now, but still rest heavily upon their laurels.

Plus you guys blow your load over the marketing bollox - You fuckin' love it you do. "FLEECE ME!!", "No, no FLEECE MEEE!!".

This was my personal favourite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ZRWzEBIzE
    Brown paint and two pickup covers snapped and taped together. Genius - That'll be an extra £800, a thank you very much, mugs.
    edited May 2019
    American companies are behind the iconic designs that most other luthiers/builders make. And the top 3 mainstream brands (Gibson, fender and PRS) are American companies.
    A Mr. John C.Hall is on the other line for you...
    Edit: my mistake, it's his legal team  :)
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Because Rickenbackers are only made in the US ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Can't argue with that... they are iconic designs!!!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    This is the best marketing video of a quality guitar that I've seen and they're from Tel Aviv in Israel. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5BSokD9h70
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14279
    tFB Trader
    The history and roots of popular music as we know it today is from the USA - Jazz, blues, gospel, rock n roll - Most guitars supplied for such a market came from a local source, hence the USA - Be it Martin, Gibson, Gretsch etc etc and it has just evolved this way into where we are today - Why import any guitar when you already had it available within your own country 

European steel strung guitars from the 40s, 50's and 60's were hardly anything special and the Jap invasion had barely started

By the time we got to the birth of The Beatles and The Stones, the USA influence could not be stopped 

Granted today many fine guitars are produced from many corners of the globe - But the USA owned companies got in there first and the domination, popularity, hype, desire etc has stayed with us ever since - Just about all the classic formats came from USA designed guitars

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    The history and roots of popular music as we know it today is from the USA - Jazz, blues, gospel, rock n roll - Most guitars supplied for such a market came from a local source, hence the USA - Be it Martin, Gibson, Gretsch etc etc and it has just evolved this way into where we are today - Why import any guitar when you already had it available within your own country 

European steel strung guitars from the 40s, 50's and 60's were hardly anything special and the Jap invasion had barely started

By the time we got to the birth of The Beatles and The Stones, the USA influence could not be stopped 

Granted today many fine guitars are produced from many corners of the globe - But the USA owned companies got in there first and the domination, popularity, hype, desire etc has stayed with us ever since - Just about all the classic formats came from USA designed guitars

Great answer IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

"... the Jap invasion had barely started"

Ooh errr. Teeny bit insensitive? (although I'm sure not meant as such).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14279
    tFB Trader

Great answer IMO. 
    Thanks

But don't forget the influence many of the immigrants took with them as they left Europe to go to the USA - Companies/families like  Martin had been woodworkers in Europe with connections in the violin industry and/or the cabinet makers guild - Whilst Gibson started of with mandolins influenced by violin designs