Why is it USA guitars....

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14280
    tFB Trader
    The history and roots of popular music as we know it today is from the USA - Jazz, blues, gospel, rock n roll - Most guitars supplied for such a market came from a local source, hence the USA - Be it Martin, Gibson, Gretsch etc etc and it has just evolved this way into where we are today - Why import any guitar when you already had it available within your own country 

European steel strung guitars from the 40s, 50's and 60's were hardly anything special and the Jap invasion had barely started

By the time we got to the birth of The Beatles and The Stones, the USA influence could not be stopped 

Granted today many fine guitars are produced from many corners of the globe - But the USA owned companies got in there first and the domination, popularity, hype, desire etc has stayed with us ever since - Just about all the classic formats came from USA designed guitars

"... the Jap invasion had barely started"

Ooh errr. Teeny bit insensitive? (although I'm sure not meant as such).
    See what you mean - the Japanese influence might be a better phrase - Outside Japan, the influences  of their own designs barely existed - It was not until they started making copies in the 70's (pre-law suit) followed by their own designs in the late 70's that the market took any notice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited May 2019
    The electric guitar is an American invention.
    The steel-strung acoustic may not be, but certainly got highly developed in the USA.
    However European makers reigned in the classical/nylon-strung guitar field...and let's not forget Django and Maccaferri.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    edited May 2019
    [Why is it that USA guitars]... are generally seen top of the tree? 
    Because that’s what the Fender and Gibson marketing departments tell us?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14280
    tFB Trader
    jdgm said:
    The electric guitar is an American invention.
    The steel-strung acoustic may not be, but certainly got highly developed in the USA.
    However European makers reigned in the classical/nylon-strung guitar field...and let's not forget Django and Maccaferri.

I'm not actually sure if Martin was the first to build a steel strung guitar or not - Steel strings did not really come into play until about 1900 - Again such issues evolved as guitar players wanted to compete with banjo's and mandolins that at the time were much louder - Remember pre-WW2 and the banjo/mandolin market was far larger than the guitar market

But yes the violin and classical guitar are totally a European product
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    The American electric  guitars of the 50's and 60's had Mojo .All the top bands used them and  the opposition were crap mainly .However it was that crap that started the British invasion .We played crap but dreamed of American guitars we could  nt afford and in the early days couldnt buy anyway or even look at often .The USA gradually lost their wartime affluence and monopoly .Suddenly they were no longer top dog though often they thought they were .Others copied ,innovated,and really made guitars affordable  to the masses all over the world and all over the world is the critical phrase.Its not just a few guys now ,its girls and boys from everywhere .and they still want US guitars or at least guitars that look like American guitars .The big four ,Fender ,Gretsch,Gibson and Rickenbacker got it right .In the end they survive by making ,except for Rickenbacker, cheaper foreign made copies and not letting anyone see just what percentage of their bottom line is foreign .PRS are just a copy of all the bits others designed with some fancy dentist wood .Yamaha do a great copy of a Harley and many drive them but few want them.its not the real thing  .Its all down to authenticity and mojo .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18809
    rossi said:
    The American electric  guitars of the 50's and 60's had Mojo .All the top bands used them and  the opposition were crap mainly .However it was that crap that started the British invasion .We played crap but dreamed of American guitars we could  nt afford and in the early days couldnt buy anyway or even look at often .The USA gradually lost their wartime affluence and monopoly .Suddenly they were no longer top dog though often they thought they were .Others copied ,innovated,and really made guitars affordable  to the masses all over the world and all over the world is the critical phrase.Its not just a few guys now ,its girls and boys from everywhere .and they still want US guitars or at least guitars that look like American guitars .The big four ,Fender ,Gretsch,Gibson and Rickenbacker got it right .In the end they survive by making ,except for Rickenbacker, cheaper foreign made copies and not letting anyone see just what percentage of their bottom line is foreign .PRS are just a copy of all the bits others designed with some fancy dentist wood .Yamaha do a great copy of a Harley and many drive them but few want them.its not the real thing  .Its all down to authenticity and mojo .

Calm down dear, it'll all look better in the morning. Or when you resume your meds  ;)
    I'm not actually sure if Martin was the first to build a steel strung guitar or not - Steel strings did not really come into play until about 1900 - Again such issues evolved as guitar players wanted to compete with banjo's and mandolins that at the time were much louder - Remember pre-WW2 and the banjo/mandolin market was far larger than the guitar market

Yes very interesting point - the steel strung acoustic - where/when and who? Difficult to pin it down I should think as it must have gradually evolved.....
  • Personally, I think Korean made instruments have more seoul. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2956
    Best guitar I've got was made in Britain.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    Weren't the original strats and tele made in the US by Mexicans. I like to think my MIMs are more authentic based on that patently false rationale. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    blobb said:
    Best guitar I've got was made in Britain.
    I have a lot of time for this statement.  I have 3 English-made guitars which are just fantastic instruments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18809
    The history and roots of popular music as we know it today is from the USA - Jazz, blues, gospel, rock n roll - Most guitars supplied for such a market came from a local source, hence the USA - Be it Martin, Gibson, Gretsch etc etc and it has just evolved this way into where we are today - Why import any guitar when you already had it available within your own country 

European steel strung guitars from the 40s, 50's and 60's were hardly anything special and the Jap invasion had barely started

By the time we got to the birth of The Beatles and The Stones, the USA influence could not be stopped 

Granted today many fine guitars are produced from many corners of the globe - But the USA owned companies got in there first and the domination, popularity, hype, desire etc has stayed with us ever since - Just about all the classic formats came from USA designed guitars

"... the Jap invasion had barely started"

Ooh errr. Teeny bit insensitive? (although I'm sure not meant as such).
    See what you mean - the Japanese influence might be a better phrase - Outside Japan, the influences  of their own designs barely existed - It was not until they started making copies in the 70's (pre-law suit) followed by their own designs in the late 70's that the market took any notice
    Fair play to you.
    Although I think that the Japanese construction skills & influence were already very well known in the 1960's & possibly earlier.

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Americans are very vocal about USA made products. On US forums there's often suspicion of anything made in China and glorification of anything made in the USA.

I see it on photography forums too. Although obviously Japanese cameras are given a pass. I see Americans paying £100 for accessories made in the USA that must have cost pennies to produce (like metal grips) and the same product from China costing a realistic £10 being derided as cheap rubbish. 

Obviously all the discussion about iconic American designs and American music is true. I'm just adding the way American guitars do seem rather obsessed with US gear. 

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    ... are generally seen top of the tree? 

As with most things guitar related, tradition. It was the birth place of Rock n Roll and thus were making much better guitars at the time than most of the world (in a mainstream production sense), now they don't have to be the best, they can live on the name for another 20 or 30 years yet until the last of us die off 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26617
    edited May 2019
    ... are generally seen top of the tree? 
    I've got four hand-made guitars - one from the USA and three from the UK. They're all great guitars (one custom Washburn N4 and three by Jaden Rose), but I'd have the UK-built ones every day of the week if I was pushed to choose. In fact, the N4 only sticks around for sentimental reasons, really.

So...my answer is twofold: marketing, and guitarists being the ultimate conservative folk.
    <space for hire>
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    American companies are behind the iconic designs that most other luthiers/builders make. And the top 3 mainstream brands (Gibson, fender and PRS) are American companies.
    Are PRS bigger than ibanez?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited May 2019
    Roger Rossmeisl - is a major reason for me. No one else came near in my book
    and because Rickenbacker still, only, make them there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Funny that @underdog should say 'tradition' and right after @digitalscream says 'conservatism'. Perhaps two ways of looking at the same phenomenon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5860
    My "Best Guitar" was made in Finland, it was Custom Built. All my other Guitars are USA made "Mass Produced". If Finland had a Mass Production Guitar Company, then maybe someone else who had one of them would prefer his/her Fender Custom Shop Built Guitar?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited May 2019
    SlopeSoarer said:
    If I think about there cars they are usually unreliable, very heavy and poorly finished.
    Gibson make cars?