Danny Baker

What's Hot
15678911»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    The point I'm trying to make is that we should possibly focus more on the genuine motivation behind speech or actions, and less on the (sometimes erroneous) interpretation of them.  The throwing of bananas by certain football 'fans' is clearly racially motivated, clearly disgraceful, and should be stamped out.   There's no other interpretation of that.  Where there's genuine abuse of others because they're black/asian/Polish/gay/Muslim/whatever, it's obviously unacceptable.

The question is - do we really think that the tweet was racially motivated, or just very, very stupid?  If you actually think he's just trying to cover up a deliberate racial slur by offering another interpretation, he deserves all he gets.  If on the other hand, he's just been unbelievably thoughtless, and the question of the baby's ethnicity genuinely never entered his head, should people not just accept his (eventual) apology, and move on?
    We’ve covered this already. 

Whether he meant it as a racial slur is irrelevant.

- The link between his picture and racism is obvious, and anyone who doesn’t see it has lived under a rock for decades
    - As a football fan and pundit he has been exposed to racism with this very comparison for decades
    - He is a public figure and influencer, as well as a broadcaster on the leading news oriented radio channel - he has a duty to ensure he monitors and checks what he posts
    - His initial response was unacceptable and he was clearly just trying to explain his way out of it. 

The vast majority of traffic on this subject media wide isn’t “he’s a racist - stone him” but “he’s an idiot and deserved to be sacked”

And that’s the way this thread has gone. Some suggested it was wrong for him to be sacked. If he’s a racist or not is irrelevant. What he did and more importantly how he responded to it given the context of his job made his sacking completely correct.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

But even then he has to throw in the phrase "dog whistle" at the end of his statement.  Just shut up, Danny.
    Yes, I saw that too. He still doesn't quite understand that a full, absolutely unreserved apology is what's wanted.
    He’ll never properly apologise because he can’t believe he‘s ever gonna be wrong and what do the plebs who disagree with him know about anything.
     Whenever I’ve heard him on the radio the guests can’t get a word in because he always interrupts,talking over them ,because really to him ,it’s only his opinions and thoughts that count .
     He and his team have had 24hrs to give a credible explanation yet still manages to come over poorly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    The point I'm trying to make is that we should possibly focus more on the genuine motivation behind speech or actions, and less on the (sometimes erroneous) interpretation of them.
    Thing is Baker has worked in the media for decades, knowledge of how his actions and words are perceived are a massive part of his professional competencies.

He basically wasn't sacked for racism as much as gross incompetence in his job.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    All this proves what a good idea”Behind closed doors” is ,,
    if only he’d used that first!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    What a wanker ! ! ! He's an embarrassing dinosaur  . . . . I fucking hate racism, I find it sickening that a "so called" educated man thinks its OK to grab a cheap laugh by cashing in on the birth of a beautiful baby boy  . . . No one laughed Danny you fucking idiot . . . ! ! !  
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    I am clearly a Racist according to that as I think that Black Long Distance Runners are far superior to White Long Distance Runners  B

As for Danny Baker, I doubt he is a Racist, but he should have known better and thought before he acted.

That's simply a statement without stating why they are superior. 

If you say "Black long distance runners are superior because of advantageous genetics and physiology to white runners" then you have a wealth of long distance running records to support that view. Articles like this support that view. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/04/why-kenyans-make-such-great-runners-a-story-of-genes-and-cultures/256015/

So what you said isn't racist. 
    I know it wasn't racist, just tongue in cheek, hence the Emoji. It's well known that Kenyan Runners are way ahead. I have no idea what other genetic advantages certain races have over another given race, there may be some, Those bloody Russians and their Chess Boards pfft!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Harry should send his body guards round to stomp his ugly ass and remove his fingernails.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    prowla said:
    In this day and age you have to be extremely careful about what you say, because there is always someone waiting to be racially offended if anything at all could possible be construed to be interpreted to be impinging upon any race, creed, colour, social grouping, or other demographic.

And back in the day you didn't have to be careful. You could say what you like, chuck bananas at black people on football pitches, make comments about poofs and women...

The years of 'Political Correctness' are nowhere near to outnumbering the years of discrimination. 
    Touche, monsewer!

Actually, I do think that political correctness has lurched to the other side; clearly chucking bananas and suchlike was always the wrong side of acceptable.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:
    Apparently the police are now investigating. While the tweet was utterly stupid, it doesn't require a police investigation.
    I think the law requires that a complaint of racism must be investigated - all it takes is for someone to make a formal complaint and they have no choice. They may decide to take no action, but they still have to respond.
    Pity the same requirement doesn't extend to burglary.  When one of my neighbours was done they did precisely nothing except record the crime. 

I'm in no way condoning what Baker did or defending him - I think he's a pompous, arrogant, self satisfied git and got what he deserved - but many people suffer much greater material or emotional harm from illegal acts (including racism) than in this case and get little or no interest from the police.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    To be fair the investigation could be as simple a the equivalent of ticking the box that says "twat" instead of "racist" on a form.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    siremoon said:
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:
    Apparently the police are now investigating. While the tweet was utterly stupid, it doesn't require a police investigation.
    I think the law requires that a complaint of racism must be investigated - all it takes is for someone to make a formal complaint and they have no choice. They may decide to take no action, but they still have to respond.
    Pity the same requirement doesn't extend to burglary.  When one of my neighbours was done they did precisely nothing except record the crime. 

I'm in no way condoning what Baker did or defending him - I think he's a pompous, arrogant, self satisfied git and got what he deserved - but many people suffer much greater material or emotional harm from illegal acts (including racism) than in this case and get little or no interest from the police.
    Maybe they'll just give the royals a crime number so they can claim on their insurance...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    p90fool said:
    siremoon said:
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

Maybe they'll just give the royals a crime number so they can claim on their insurance...
    Nah - Phil the Greek wiped out their NCD
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907

The question is - do we really think that the tweet was racially motivated, or just very, very stupid?  

---here's the thing. If you're a high profile public persona and presenter, then proving yourself to be very, very stupid is going to get you sacked. If you are a presenter and your employer doesn't trust you not to say or do something very, very stupid then its game over. 

You'll note that the BBC said they sacked him for a "serious error of judgement", not "because we think it was racially motivated". 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    adampeter said:
    We all make mistakes

fair point, in his defense though, Harry is a weak minded simpleton.
    He's a war hero. 

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15521
    I don't know anything about his military service, however I believe him to have been a good soldier. That doesn't make him a hero per se, nor does it preclude him from being a weak minded simpleton. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    maw4neu said:
    What a wanker ! ! ! He's an embarrassing dinosaur  . . . . I fucking hate racism, I find it sickening that a "so called" educated man thinks its OK to grab a cheap laugh by cashing in on the birth of a beautiful baby boy  . . . No one laughed Danny you fucking idiot . . . ! ! ! 

Danny Baker has persistently railed against "over-educated" types, and is always keen to promote his "university of life" working class credentials, so I don't think he would apprieciate being referred to as educated.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    PhilW1 said:
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

But even then he has to throw in the phrase "dog whistle" at the end of his statement.  Just shut up, Danny.
    Yes, I saw that too. He still doesn't quite understand that a full, absolutely unreserved apology is what's wanted.
    He’ll never properly apologise because he can’t believe he‘s ever gonna be wrong and what do the plebs who disagree with him know about anything.
     Whenever I’ve heard him on the radio the guests can’t get a word in because he always interrupts,talking over them ,because really to him ,it’s only his opinions and thoughts that count .
     He and his team have had 24hrs to give a credible explanation yet still manages to come over poorly.

Danny Baker has always promoted his working class background, so I don't think his grievance would be with the "plebs", but with the middle class Oxbridge types etc, against whom he's also frequently railed. eg calling them "pin headed weasels".

Interestingly, the only people I know / have seen who have said that sacking Baker was wrong are all people who would identify themselves as working class (and are white), and there is whiff of the notion that Baker himself has been the victim of classism. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Can I have another piece of chocolate cake?
    Danny Baker.
    Danny Baker.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    prowla said:
    Can I have another piece of chocolate cake?
    Danny Baker.
    Danny Baker.
    That kept going through my head too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    Barnezy said:
    Isn’t everyone racist to an extent? We’re also all classist, ageist, sexist etc. It’s the world we’ve all been bought up in, making judgements of other people based on what we see externaly. The line in A Time to Kill sums it up perfectly "The fact is you are just like all the rest of them. When you look at me, you don't see a man, you see a black man.". 

Now I don’t think anyone can self proclaim themselves as not racist. Yes he might not be proactively racist, but he does have unconscious bias. What does exist is being conscious of your bias so you can challenge it and be aware how your words or actions might be percevied by others. If your a considerate person you will be able to manage this.

Clearly posting a picture of a monkey is offensive and everyone knows this. Baker must have decided to do this anyway, which goes to show the type of character he is. Basically an egotistical arrogant twat. 
    You do know that according to Political Correctness only white people are racist?

Is it racist when black people don't just see people they see white people? 

Just because a writer puts a line in a book which panders to the anti-white "racism" (actually anti-white racial prejudice) of modern thinking by claiming racism just because a white man sees the colour of another man doesn't make it actual racism.

If posting a picture of a monkey is racist, why aren't all photographers who take pictures of monkeys called racist?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom