Danny Baker

What's Hot

Comments

• bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Philly_Q said:
    Now, I just hope they don't fill his Saturday morning slot with two more hours of Colin fucking Murray.
    Steady on, nothing wrong with people from Northern Ireland 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22944
    Philly_Q said:
    Now, I just hope they don't fill his Saturday morning slot with two more hours of Colin fucking Murray.
    Steady on, nothing wrong with people from Northern Ireland 

Absolutely nothing to do with where he's from. 

He's just another full-of-his-own-importance, friend-of-the-stars, one-of-the-lads, bit-o'-banter, aren't-I-hilarious twat.  Not unlike Danny Baker himself.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• If someone posted the same image on here and it was flagged I suspect it would be removed, warnings issued and possibly more, regardless of the intention behind it 
    So are you telling me if I posted that picture and said "what a cute little monkey" you'd warn me for it and possibly ban me?

That sounds reasonable.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    I went to the same school as Mr Murray but I think he was expelled because he was football riff raff.

I was trying to demonstrate how easy it is to misinterpret something on the internet.

I liked Danny Baker's shows about good albums but he should know better than most how contentious his 'joke' would be.

I don't know if he is racist or not but he is definitely stupid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    He’s a clever man who should have known better....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:
    Also he said they "literally threw me under a bus"

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/unrepentant-danny-baker-gives-first-16249600

I'll stake my trousers that's not true

The "threw me under a bus" comment suggests he feels he's been used by the BBC as some kind of scapegoat, but it's a situation entirely of his own making.
    Ok thanks for clearing that up. 

I suppose that means I was right and they didn't "literally" throw him under a bus.

They "metaphorically" threw him under a bus.

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

If someone posted the same image on here and it was flagged I suspect it would be removed, warnings issued and possibly more, regardless of the intention behind it 
    So are you telling me if I posted that picture and said "what a cute little monkey" you'd warn me for it and possibly ban me?

That sounds reasonable.
    Nope. As per my post - it’s about context. 

If you’d have posted it and made the same joke as Mr Baker..... it would probably have been flagged. 

Post it and say “what a cute little monkey” and it’s very unlikely to get flagged.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• If someone posted the same image on here and it was flagged I suspect it would be removed, warnings issued and possibly more, regardless of the intention behind it 

That sounds reasonable.
    Nope. As per my post - it’s about context. 

If you’d have posted it and made the same joke as Mr Baker..... it would probably have been flagged. 

Post it and say “what a cute little monkey” and it’s very unlikely to get flagged.
    Okay cool.

Bye!

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Alan Sugar did something similar a while back. Looks like a generational thing to me.  These men are so out of touch

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/09/people-asking-lord-sugar-wasnt-sacked-bbc-racist-tweet-like-danny-baker-9469506/
  • tony99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/unrepentant-danny-baker-gives-first-16249600

The "threw me under a bus" comment suggests he feels he's been used by the BBC as some kind of scapegoat, but it's a situation entirely of his own making.

I suppose that means I was right and they didn't "literally" throw him under a bus.

Got some bad news for you @tony99 ... the English language is constantly evolving...  the Oxford dictionary now includes two definitions for 'literally'.  One is the conventional/traditional use of the adverb... but there's now also an 'informal' definition - where the word is 'used for emphasis while not being literally true' - and they give the example: 'I was literally blown away...'
    tony99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:

Got some bad news for you @tony99 ... the English language is constantly evolving...  the Oxford dictionary now includes two definitions for 'literally'.  One is the conventional/traditional use of the adverb... but there's now also an 'informal' definition - where the word is 'used for emphasis while not being literally true' - and they give the example: 'I was literally blown away...'
    Not really bad news that though is it?Not literally.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:

Sorry, I wasn't really commenting on your comment, just using it to reference the "threw me under the bus" bit, literal or metaphorical.  Of course you were right.
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:

Sorry, I wasn't really commenting on your comment, just using it to reference the "threw me under the bus" bit, literal or metaphorical.  Of course you were right.
    Yay!! Kiss my face!!
  • tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:

Not really bad news that though is it?Not literally.
    Haha
    You win!
    I went to the same school as Mr Murray but I think he was expelled because he was football riff raff.

I was trying to demonstrate how easy it is to misinterpret something on the internet.

All I did was mention Colin Murray's name, I don't think there was even a hint of a reference, positive or negative, to the fact he's Northern Irish.  But understood, you were making a point.

Hopefully my future BBC radio career is safe, although I'm unlikely to be invited on to Fighting Talk.

tony99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:

Yay!! Kiss my face!!
    Not today thanks.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24350
    There are far too many people on here saying they agree with his dismissal for reasons not to do with the tweet such as personal dislike.  Jumping on the ‘burn him’ bandwagon because you don’t like him or his performance is a shitty thing to do.

My issue is with the reason he has been dismissed.  He made a perfectly acceptable comment about the new Royal baby but, by virtue of the fact that the phrase “performing monkey”, used to describe a person who is paraded for the entertainment of the public, just happens to include the word “monkey” which IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CONTEXT can be used as a derogatory word for black people, everyone loses their shit!  “Oh My God!! - He was referring to the skin colour of his mother.... or maybe her mother.... somebody’s skin colour anyway!  Oh the shame!!  Banish him! (...and don’t forget to notice how pious and beyond criticism I am for pointing the finger at him!)”.  No.  Dickhead.  He was using the term in the context of a performing animal.  Nothing more nothing less.

What next?  Anyone using the phrase ‘blackballed’ must lose their livelihood?  Can we say “..and poof! The magician made it vanish!” or is that obviously meant as a slur against homosexuals?  What about “ladies lingerie”?  Is that a sackable phrase, as it’s obviously transphobic!

Context is everything.  It is the intent behind the word that is important, not the arrangement of letters that make up the word.  How the hell has it come to this, when the BBC can tolerate one of their stars raping children and do nothing and now sacking people for using a phrase that contained one word that, in a different context could be used as a racial slur.

Jesus H Christ.

Oh, Sorry, that was Christophobic....

Bloody hysterical neurotics.

Oh, shit...  sorry, “hysterical” comes from the Greek word for ‘uterus’, so that’s sexist!

This is the Jehovah scene from Monty Python come true.  

Fuck, I’ve said Jehovah now....   
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    blueskunk said:
    fob said:
    >snip<
    It's also interesting how many 'I'd (like to) punch/slap him' comments come up, not just here but all over social media. I've inferred a particular meaning to something he said - that entitles me to violence.

Chat shit, get banged insult me with racist shit expect a slap, if in my company.  Dead easy. 
    Essentially just a rewording of my last sentence.

If someone posted the same image on here and it was flagged I suspect it would be removed, warnings issued and possibly more, regardless of the intention behind it.
    This is the whole topic in a nutshell: inference trumps implication.
    Emp_Fab said:
    There are far too many people on here saying they agree with his dismissal for reasons not to do with the tweet such as personal dislike.  Jumping on the ‘burn him’ bandwagon because you don’t like him or his performance is a shitty thing to do.

My issue is with the reason he has been dismissed.  He made a perfectly acceptable comment about the new Royal baby but, by virtue of the fact that the phrase “performing monkey”, used to describe a person who is paraded for the entertainment of the public, just happens to include the word “monkey” which IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CONTEXT can be used as a derogatory word for black people, everyone loses their shit!  “Oh My God!! - He was referring to the skin colour of his mother.... or maybe her mother.... somebody’s skin colour anyway!  Oh the shame!!  Banish him! (...and don’t forget to notice how pious and beyond criticism I am for pointing the finger at him!)”.  No.  Dickhead.  He was using the term in the context of a performing animal.  Nothing more nothing less.

What next?  Anyone using the phrase ‘blackballed’ must lose their livelihood?  Can we say “..and poof! The magician made it vanish!” or is that obviously meant as a slur against homosexuals?  What about “ladies lingerie”?  Is that a sackable phrase, as it’s obviously transphobic!

Context is everything.  It is the intent behind the word that is important, not the arrangement of letters that make up the word.  How the hell has it come to this, when the BBC can tolerate one of their stars raping children and do nothing and now sacking people for using a phrase that contained one word that, in a different context could be used as a racial slur.

Jesus H Christ.

Oh, Sorry, that was Christophobic....

Bloody hysterical neurotics.

Oh, shit...  sorry, “hysterical” comes from the Greek word for ‘uterus’, so that’s sexist!

This is the Jehovah scene from Monty Python come true.  

Fuck, I’ve said Jehovah now....   
    What have I missed here? 

It was a pic of a chimp. It said "royal baby leaves hospital"

Where did you get the phrase "performing monkey" from?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm just stating a fact here... that isn't what he did.  He didn't use the word "monkey".  He posted an old photo of a "posh" couple with a small chimpanzee in a suit.  The only words were "Royal baby leaves hospital".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom