Returning a new guitar back to shop - happy ending !

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited May 2019 in Guitar
Hi

I got a brand new guitar a week or two ago sent to me by courier. Never played or tried the guitar so i thought i'll take a gamble and if i don't like it i can always send it back.

When it arrived, i didn't do a spot check and look for marks or imperfections and i was to excited to play it!

After a week of picking up on the odd occasion at home and putting it back in its case i realised its not the guitar for me. Too Shiny/Glossy for me and didn't bond with it as much as i hoped.

Organised a returns and was all good. After i got the RMA number and packaged it up for next day I got an email from the shop to say they have had quite a few guitar being sent back for returns and them not being in good enough condition. 

After sending the guitar back i then got an email to say they have received the guitar but i need to ring up. They guy said after inspection there are lots of marks on the guitar and the shop can no longer sell it as new and would need to send it back to me or i'll need to pay restocking fee of 20%. They would then sell it as used!

Now where does this leave me? I was super careful with the guitar, wore clothing that was soft, no zips etc. I didn't check the guitar when i got it as i said but they said they would never send a guitar with marks all over it.

I have seen the pictures and it looks on the pictures there a quite a lot of marks! hairline marks but up but a strange pattern. Now it could of been like that when i got it... i don't know????

Pictures sometimes makes things look worst too.

Its a gloss finish and in black on top and clear mahogany back and sides. 

Now apparently i have too options. Take the guitar back or pay 20% restocking fee!

This boils me up further. The guitar retails at £1899 and every shop sells at £1899 so 20% = £379.80

I paid £1799 as a price match. But they shop still said they need to take £379.80 off me even though i think they will re sell at 20% off the £1899 = £1519.20. I would get £1419.20!

This is a tricky one and i'm not happy about it but i wanted to know what everyone else thought where on this. I'm not hear to name and shame as i have used this company a lot. Has one else been in the same boat?

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Can't help wondering why you would buy a £2K guitar without going to the shop and trying it out first.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited May 2019
    3 and half hour drive, 14 day returns 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited May 2019
    “Can't help wondering why you would buy a £2K guitar without going to the shop and trying it out first”

I would, so would the guy above you, so would pretty much anyone who’s ever bought a guitar online, so it looks like you’re the odd one out here.

To the OP, it sounds a bit rich of the shop to me and I’d dispute it I think - if you were as careful as you say I can’t imagine that the guitar would have been returned in condition which would render it as ‘used’
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Was the serial number on the invoice? I’d ask them to prove it’s yours before anything, just in case they are trying to pull a fast one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 898
    Rocker said:
    Can't help wondering why you would buy a £2K guitar without going to the shop and trying it out first.
    Living in NI I have bought numerous expensive guitars without trying first.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Rocker said:
    Yep me too - see he's not the only one ;)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Did the store have their returns policy on the email they sent you as a receipt or on the invoice you received with the guitar? If they did and it mentions a resrocking fee you're stuffed.  If they didn't then too bad for them as far as I know they can't charge a restocking fee. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9615
    What store was it mate ? 
    Was the serial number on the invoice? I’d ask them to prove it’s yours before anything, just in case they are trying to pull a fast one. 
    No serial number on written invoice 

Adam_MD said:
    Did the store have their returns policy on the email they sent you as a receipt or on the invoice you received with the guitar? If they did and it mentions a resrocking fee you're stuffed.  If they didn't then too bad for them as far as I know they can't charge a restocking fee. 
    No returns policy written on receipt 
    edited May 2019

What store was it mate ? 
    Peach Guitars. They have been responsive and really sorry about the situation. 

As i I says it’s a tricky situation and I’m not here to name and shame. I just feel the marks look more excessive that what I could of done. Maybe it’s a finish that mark super easily.

Would I pick up a guitar and study every little area and say it’s got a few marks on the back from people playing it, I want 20% off. Or this case a guitar worth £1899 I want it for £1419.20
    This is why buying relic guitars has its merits! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How strong is the used market? If I got it back then sold it. Would I get anywhere near £1500?
    It’s a massive kick in the balls. I’ve rented a guitar for two weeks which has cost me £400! 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    edited May 2019
    Did you pay for it on credit card? Contact them to get your money back and tell Peach to do one (optional)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23142

I don't mean this as a criticism, but in the vein of those saying they're surprised you bought without trying first...

I'm surprised you didn't inspect the guitar when it arrived and you don't know if the marks were already there.  The first thing I'd do is look it over just to see if anything is misaligned, cracked or damaged.

Re the returns policy, is it detailed on their website?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I just looked and the restocking fee is mentioned in their returns policy so there's not much you can do. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6922
    Philly_Q said:

I don't mean this as a criticism, but in the vein of those saying they're surprised you bought without trying first...

I'm surprised you didn't inspect the guitar when it arrived and you don't know if the marks were already there.  The first thing I'd do is look it over just to see if anything is misaligned, cracked or damaged.

Re the returns policy, is it detailed on their website?

I agree, you’ve got no evidence of the condition you received it in, and didn’t inspect it for any damage, then how can you prove you didn’t do any of the scratches? I always inspect guitars on delivery, whether from private, eBay or shops sales.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    edited May 2019
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Adam_MD said:
    I just looked and the restocking fee is mentioned in their returns policy so there's not much you can do. 
    I don’t think they can enforce that. Distance selling regs are clear that a full refund is due. Many shops try it on but I doubt they can enforce it. But it looks like they might have found a way around that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.