Returning a new guitar back to shop - happy ending !

What's Hot

Comments

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited May 2019
    mrkb said:
    Philly_Q said:

I don't mean this as a criticism, but in the vein of those saying they're surprised you bought without trying first...

I'm surprised you didn't inspect the guitar when it arrived and you don't know if the marks were already there.  The first thing I'd do is look it over just to see if anything is misaligned, cracked or damaged.

Re the returns policy, is it detailed on their website?

I agree, you’ve got no evidence of the condition you received it in, and didn’t inspect it for any damage, then how can you prove you didn’t do any of the scratches? I always inspect guitars on delivery, whether from private, eBay or shops sales.
    I haven't brought a new shiny/NOS brand new guitar for years. I have only owned Customshop Fenders for the past 8 years. 

So i guess when i buy a new guitar it already has lots of marks on it. Didn't really think to look at the finer details. To be honest if it had some small hairline marks i don't think it would bother me. I understand its been in a shop and people have picked the guitar up.

So big question... Would it bother anyone else?

So i guess i just have to lump it up then?

When you get the guitar and you inspect it who's to say you did the damage even though you just opened the box? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 724
    Well I can’t see the guys at Peach would try and pull a fast one. It’s just not worth it! £400 is hardly going to make them have a good month is it. 

i get we have a distant selling thing, but I really don’t see why we should take the piss and play it for 14 days, just to return it because we haven’t “gelled” with it like we’d hoped. You’ve already put a thread up saying it was too new for you, not played in enough. It’s a brand new guitar, no relic finish, what did you expect?? Now a thread complaining about them, rightfully, charging you as you’d left marks on it.  

I can see you’d be upset, and I don’t mean to sound like an arse, but what would you do if the situation was reversed? 

I know what I’ve just said isn’t going to go down well, but I really think a reality check is needed here. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Can the shop prove that the marks weren’t there when they sent it out?
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 851
    edited May 2019
    Personally if I was returning anything (or indeed anything sold, say on eBay), I'd take photos of the item and how it was packed. Photos are date/time marked. Just in case of situations like this. I do it with anything sadly there are too many unscrupulous people out there.

By the way I'm not saying Peach Guitars are unscrupulous!!

As others say you really should have checked when you received the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    I've bought new guitars from the Peach website.  I wont again this is bollocks.
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

brucegill said:
    Well I can’t see the guys at Peach would try and pull a fast one. It’s just not worth it! £400 is hardly going to make them have a good month is it. 

i get we have a distant selling thing, but I really don’t see why we should take the piss and play it for 14 days, just to return it because we haven’t “gelled” with it like we’d hoped. You’ve already put a thread up saying it was too new for you, not played in enough. It’s a brand new guitar, no relic finish, what did you expect?? Now a thread complaining about them, rightfully, charging you as you’d left marks on it.  

I can see you’d be upset, and I don’t mean to sound like an arse, but what would you do if the situation was reversed? 

I know what I’ve just said isn’t going to go down well, but I really think a reality check is needed here. I

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    brucegill said:

I know what I’ve just said isn’t going to go down well, but I really think a reality check is needed here. 
    Firstly I had ever intention of wanting to keep the guitar. Why would i want to take the piss and just want to return it? Even when you go to the shop and you play the guitar for 5 mins in the store you still may get home and find its not right? 

I did put a thread up saying it was too shiny and new, no relic. Thats why i was returning it. 

This isn't a thread to name and shame its just wanting to see where i stand as i feel its a lot of money to back for a few marks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17678
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    I think if it's got marks on it that weren't there when they sent it out when they got it back then it's completely reasonable to charge you in line with their policies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
    I wouldnt say don't buy from Peach. I think be extra cautious with every new guitar from every company. Like @SlopeSoarer said take pictures, check over everything in detail before hitting the first note
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9393
    I think you’ve fucked up here and are expecting Peach to take the blame.

You get a guitar, you check the condition. I’d say you should notify if there are issues within 24 hours. That’s plenty of time. 

The fact it’s now marked means Peach can’t sell it new and they’re going to suffer a loss on a guitar you’ve changed your mind on. Doesn’t seem at all unreasonable to me they want you to cover some
    of the cost. My bet is they’ll still make a loss as second hand prices aren’t 20% below new
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    3 and half hour drive, 14 day returns 
    Do you earn more than 1800 for a days work?

I get why people think it's a bit daft to buy blind for that money. I know myself I have only ever kept one guitar that I bought blind and I have purchased a shit load of guitars over the years.
    A few hours in the car is less time overall from what I have spent advertising, selling and packaging guitars.

When you are in the shop you can try lots of guitars and you know from having them in your hands if it's special or not. Sometimes it pays not to be lazy. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    That’s completely unreasonable. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
    chris78 said:

You get a guitar, you check the condition. I’d say you should notify if there are issues within 24 hours. That’s plenty of time. 

The fact it’s now marked means Peach can’t sell it new and they’re going to suffer a loss on a guitar you’ve changed your mind on. Doesn’t seem at all unreasonable to me they want you to cover some
    of the cost. My bet is they’ll still make a loss as second hand prices aren’t 20% below new
    Thats what happened. I didn't check the guitar. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I buy guitars on line all the time, in fact 5 out of 5 of my current electrics have been bought on line, far easier to assess a guitar at home with your own rig than in a guitar store. But always inspect straight away and I make a decision within 48 hours whether I’m going to keep it or not. Often I sell after weeks or months but I’ll take the hit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9393
    chris78 said:

Thats what happened. I didn't check the guitar. 
    You didn’t check the guitar for a week or two which is the time you said you had it for in your original post, yet you played the guitar enough to know you didn’t like it? Really?
    Sorry mate, doesn’t stack up at all. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    Why not just keep it, and play it? It will soon get worn in and then you'll probably like it. It sounds like it may have got a head start by being left somewhere cold by the courier and checked the finish, from your description. (Without seeing pics.)

It seems to me like rather a First World Problem when someone complains that their new guitar is *too* new... twenty years ago that would simply not even have been thought of, and for a lot of buyers it still won't. Hence why Peach can't sell it as "new" now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Honestly, having seen the shop you mention and noted the guitar you are referring too. The chances of that arriving to you pretty perfect are very high. Gretsch Japan don’t do bad finishes, as you noted in your NGD, and Peach I trust more than any other UK guitar retailer to inspect before sending - this is the store that rejected some of Gibson’s blow out R8’s for not being right. I’ve ordered several high end guitars from them and they’ve been spot on. Maybe it was extreme of temperatures or something that caused the finish damage, maybe you’ll never know. 

If if it had been a Gibson from Richards Guitars however, the internet would have exploded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6922
    ICBM said:
    Why not just keep it, and play it? It will soon get worn in and then you'll probably like it. It sounds like it may have got a head start by being left somewhere cold by the courier and checked the finish, from your description. (Without seeing pics.)

It seems to me like rather a First World Problem when someone complains that their new guitar is *too* new... twenty years ago that would simply not even have been thought of, and for a lot of buyers it still won't. Hence why Peach can't sell it as "new" now.
    Yep, I often take a bit of P1600 to the neck to knock off the gloss. Only once I’m sure I’ll keep the guitar. Makes if feel worn in much quicker.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I'd just like to say that I bought a guitar from Peach earlier this year. They checked the guitar over first and emailed me to say it has some swirl marks (which they photographed) on it and would offer me a discount if I still wanted it. When it arrived I could barely see the swirls.

However, the nut was so poorly cut that the low e kept slipping off the board. I informed them straight away and they agreed to either have the guitar returned or pay for a new nut. 

I couldn't have asked for better service and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. 

However, I would always thoroughly check over any guitar on delivery. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.