Suggestions for a do-it-all guitar...

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited May 2019
    I have 10 electric guitars Inc an SG Standard, LP Custom, Telecaster, 3 Strats, Epi Sheraton II. 

And the most versatile 'does it all' is my 2002 USA PRS Cu24 with rotary switch that gives me that nice single coil inbetween Strat tone, and humbuckers, plus an excellent trem and fast string change locking machine heads.  Second to that is my Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM with Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge, Seymour Duncan P90,  position plus push pull for single coil options with the humbucker (very strat like) Wilkinson bridge and trem, and locking grover tuners.  The latter is a lot of guitar for the money with great build quality for its price but the switching gear quality could do with upgrading.  The PRS is of course top quality throughout and is very comfortable and relatively light.  

Whatever you choose, you'll need a mix of fatter humbucker and brighter single coil tones.

But I think without doubt the most versatile guitar I've ever played that has a ton of tonal options is the PRS 513. It provides 13 different pickup options with 5 single coil pickups but with two next to each other at bridge and neck and a single one in the middle.  Aesthetically it looks a bit unusual but tonally it's just incredible and I'd really like one for myself. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited May 2019
    Many thanks for all the comments and points of view.

I have every intention of buying a guitar that clicks with me, but this thread has given me some ideas to start reading about. I will probably take a day off work to avoid the crowds and visit Peach and or Coda, both doable from where I live in a day and take their guidance on board. 

I've never heard of Suhr (or if I have it hasn't registered), Patrick James Eggle or Collings so will definitely check them out along with PRS, I like the idea of an ES-355 as well. A decent acoustic is in the back of my mind, maybe in another 10 years...

fwiw I'd pick the tones of an LP over a Strat if I had to. I'm not expecting or wanting a guitar to sound exactly like either of them, just give a wide range of tones. 

Ta Muchly. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    If I was in the “one guitar to do it all” it’d have to be a Suhr with a 24 3/4 scale
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4958
    Well, if I were going to spend silly money (£2-3k is, but not intended in a derogatory sense), I would be looking at an up-market HSS super-Strat, like a Suhr or something.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    TBH with that sort of money I'd get one made by a great luthier.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Wonky said:
    get one made by a great luthier.
    Now that's an idea I'd not considered. Just had a quick google and stumbled across Wagthorn, no doubt there are plenty of others as well. 
    Although I can imagine it's a can of worms going down the custom build route esp' if you're me and don't really know what you want. Still, gives me more to look at and think about. Thanks!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17674
    tFB Trader
    Wonky said:
    Now that's an idea I'd not considered. Just had a quick google and stumbled across Wagthorn, no doubt there are plenty of others as well. 
    Although I can imagine it's a can of worms going down the custom build route esp' if you're me and don't really know what you want. Still, gives me more to look at and think about. Thanks!
    Jonathan at @FelineGuitars would be who I'd talk to, but as you say sensible to make sure you know what kind of thing you want before you start talking to custom builders.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3779
    £2-3K budget?  UK luthier built to your spec is the best answer I can give.

Within budget example, from my own experience (humbuckers with 5-way toggle, giving other sounds - and a piezo):

NGD: Williams Lil' 58
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent

Within budget example, from my own experience (humbuckers with 5-way toggle, giving other sounds - and a piezo):

Wow, nice guitar!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Personally I'd get a secondhand Anderson, Charvel or Suhr superstrat (in that order of preference)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347

That is fabulous!
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I'd second having a look at a PRS 513, ive had mine for years and coupled with a Kemper it can do pretty much anything.

http://i64.tinypic.com/ohpbia.jpg

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Alegree said:
    Pick a guitar you like the feel of, load a set of Chameleon humbuckers into it.
    Up to 48 tone combinations at your fingertips.
    Came to suggest this :)

Set of these + a custom built guitar from a UK luthier. 

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Wonky said:
    You don't know what you want right?

I really wouldn't go for a custom order if you're not sure/experienced enough to know for certain what you want
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7238
    Anyone mentioned the Musicman Valentines yet ?  I’ve got a dgt at the moment and used to have the valentine. I think the DGT sounds 335 like with a bit of Tele thrown in whereas the Valentine is the other way round if that makes any sense.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    edited May 2019
    I've owned quite a few of what's been repeatedly suggested here.

A DGT is a great guitar and the coil-tap is good and useful, but it's not a Strat and more an LP with some Tele tones. This is my current squeeze and covers a lot of ground and sounds BIG!

A Suhr HSH with Coil-Taps is a very good bet but if you're used to more vintage sounds, IMHO, something with Thornbuckers sounds better and there's a superb and classy-looking Suhr Pete Thorn Gold Top Model on here for sale and that has a very good and versatile wiring system.

The Alt T is a fabulous and versatile model and I regret selling mine but I had to at the time and a Fretboarder was the happy recipient of it and it's still making him smile!

Tom Andersons are superb superstrats and for a more modern take, Tylers and Music Man Luke's are good.

A visit to Coda, Peach, World Guitars or even the Surrey Ring of shops (Andertons, Guitar Guitar and Guitar Village) should give you a better idea.

EDIT: Rob Harris from Jamiroquai used to use a couple of Strats and Tele Custom. On the last tour, he used a DGT all night.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    We all know what we would do in that situation, but our tastes and opinions are not yours.

Some general rules that may help (rules are of course made to be broken)

1) Used is typically better value for money (outside of a 59 Sunburst etc.)
    2) Take your time, play a lot of guitars, take home the one that speaks to you.
    3) Since it's likely to be a gift/birthday 'keeper' get something you really want.
    4) Listen to all the suggestions, but then listen to the actual guitar and your heart.
    5) Imagine yourself with this guitar in 5,10,30 years time.
    6) Read number two again.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 859

Lots of great suggestions above

Superstrat give covers Fender with a taste of humbuckers

DGT covers hubuckers with a taste of single coil.

For a true do it all guitar there has to be some consideration of the Variax.  A superstrat with the addition of everything from a 12 string to a banjo available at the flick of a switch.  I'm sure there was a US version of the Tyler incarnation too. One would guess that isn't to shabby.

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    I recently traded a Suhr Alt T Pro but only because I bought a DGT.
    The Suhr is just fantastic and covers a huge range of tones.
    My DGT has a maple neck and it can be plenty twangy.

I don't think either replicate the tones of an LP, strat or tele.  I think they probably sound better.

I bought it :) Really is a great guitar, probably a keeper, covers an awful lot of bases.

My DGT pisses all over it though :D :D It's just purr.fect

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited May 2019
    Albert Lee HH I would suggest. Many tones can be had out of one of them. I was quite satisfied with the single coil sound I could get out of it when I had mine. You’re in luck cos there is one I’m the classifieds at the moment. Not mine 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/