Suggestions for a do-it-all guitar...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Lots of great suggestions but surprised that no-one has mentioned the Blade RH-4. Very versatile hss, Strat style guitar with active mid boost/cut. Around £2k new but half that used
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682

Is this for gigging, recording or just playing at home?

If it's gigging then just pick one - the audience won't know any better.  I played a gig the other week and the singer / guitarist started in the wrong key.  Bass player and myself initially come in a semitone higher and then found the right key - only the bass player takes a lot longer to realise.  The song is one of the best received numbers of the evening.  Last Friday the drummer comes in wrong after a break and we struggle to recover, still go down great.  Don't kid yourself that the average audience can tell the difference between a humbucker, a single coil, a P90 or dead rat stuck to the scratch plate with Sellotape.

Recording - tone rules but you want variety.

Home use only - find 'the one', the guitar that you just can't put down.  As has been said, get out there and play them all and, once you've found it, get it properly set up by a decent Tech.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 721
    The best "do it all" guitar I've played is the PRS 513 (I've not touched a 509, but would imagine very similar). Caveat is that I've only played a maple fretboard 513, I imagine the rosewood one would sound a tad different ... plus I only ever see rosewood board ones - so you might struggle to find a maple one.

I'm not really a fan of "do it all" guitars, as I'm a "do one thing and do that one thing well" kind of person ... plus it's an excuse to buy more guitars :D 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    drwiddly said:
    Lots of great suggestions but surprised that no-one has mentioned the Blade RH-4. Very versatile hss, Strat style guitar with active mid boost/cut. Around £2k new but half that used
    +1 for Blade RH4; great guitars that cover a helluva lot of sounds 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    A Suhr with HSH and coil tap gives you every tone you'd ever need
    I have to say, this.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
     terada said:
    I’d go on a crimson course and build my own tele. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/155986/ngd-crimson-build-content#latest

Hard work but worth doing  :)

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3779
    Wonky said:
    get one made by a great luthier.
    Now that's an idea I'd not considered. Just had a quick google and stumbled across Wagthorn, no doubt there are plenty of others as well. 
    Although I can imagine it's a can of worms going down the custom build route esp' if you're me and don't really know what you want. Still, gives me more to look at and think about. Thanks!
    You don't know what you want right?

I really wouldn't go for a custom order if you're not sure/experienced enough to know for certain what you want
    I think with the right luthier, taking your time to try other brands, etc. will lead you to a place where you get a guitar that is just right for you.  Not that I am saying you can't get one off the shelf (the DGT I'm just about to post out is pretty much perfect and I much prefer it to any 513 I've tried).  But, to be able to specify radius, width, depth, colours, top, etc. adding and subtracting  features from different guitars, is very satisfying.  If you have a luthier local to you who has made top class guitars, at least go and have a chat and play some of their guitars.  But also get out and try as many PRS, Suhr, Fender, Gibson, everything you can get your hands on, noting what does and doesn't work.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12430
    A used 335 or SG and a used 52 ri Tele.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    andy1839 said:
    I'd second having a look at a PRS 513, ive had mine for years and coupled with a Kemper it can do pretty much anything.

http://i64.tinypic.com/ohpbia.jpg

This is also my choice ...513 with a Kemper...a Tom Waghorn would also be nice Im sure...he makes stuff for Alex Hutchings.  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12430
    Well that's Ok if you are in Liberace's backing band.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sparkspark Frets: 22
    edited May 2019
    I have just get a MM stingray and I'm delighted, I didn't have chance to try it, but... I'm not regret at all, it's not cheap but it worths every euro I spent on it.

I was between PRS and MM and i think any decision would be good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom