Hendrix...

What's Hot

Comments

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1267
    HAL9000 said:
    prlgmnr said:
    I just can't believe you lead with the Clapton thread if you were planning on doing this one.
    Where does he go after this one? 
    Jeff Beck - No decent tunes since Silver Lining...
    Jeff Beck...all he ever did was play some blues lick, then fiddle with the whammy bar for a bit while adjusting his tone knobs. Everyone knows you shouldn't touch the buttons on your guitar while you are playing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    steven70 said:
    Jeff Beck...all he ever did was play some blues lick, then fiddle with the whammy bar for a bit while adjusting his tone knobs. Everyone knows you shouldn't touch the buttons on your guitar while you are playing.
    And like that Mark Knopfler - doesn’t realise electric guitars are designed to be played with a pick....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18803
    steven70 said:
    And like that Mark Knopfler - doesn’t realise electric guitars are designed to be played with a pick....
    'played with a pick'.  Another lost consonant.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    Yeah,  what’s Hendrix ever done for us...apart from...

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Jimi is not the guitarist you can apreciate from a greatest hits. Listen to Band of Gypsys and then try and put yourself in that time and place, new years eve Dec 1969, not long after after the Beatles, Yardbirds, Doors, Simon & Garfunkel, Dylan etc. 
    Satriani names it his favourite guitar album and it is brilliance. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26615
    Ohhhh, this thread is making me chuckle :)
    <space for hire>
  • Keith Richards can’t even string or tune a guitar correctly. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    He just ripped off Cream. 
  • Hendrix is amazing and if I had it my way anyone who spoke against him would be perma-banned from the forum.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    Hendrix is amazing and if I had it my way anyone who spoke against him would be perma-banned from the forum.
    I feel the same about zeppelin, you can't trust anyone who doesn't like them
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited May 2019
    Adore Hendrix, bored by Led Zepp, can't stand Cream. Charlie Byrd, Jason Falkner and Tom Verlaine are where it's at in my house. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Hendrix is amazing and if I had it my way anyone who spoke against him would be perma-banned from the forum.
    Defender of free speech award coming your way ;)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704
    poopot said:
    why is he considered one of the greats?.
    It's because you play him in all your clips.  You love him really, but have a big man crush on him so much it hurts :3

https://m.facebook.com/ghettoamplifiers/videos/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited May 2019
    prlgmnr said:
    I just can't believe you lead with the Clapton thread if you were planning on doing this one.
    Where does he go after this one? 
    He should go far.

Starting immediately. ;)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10482
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    I don't know why I'm pandering to this silly troll thread, all want to add is that I think it's a shame that the YouTube generation think Jimi Hendrix was just a rowdy, often out of tune, self indulgent live rock guitarist. 

His family's stranglehold on his official output means that you won't ever accidentally stumble across his beautiful songwriting, his fantastic studio productions, his lovely and intricate vocal harmonies or the hypnotic genius (not a word I use lightly) of meandering story-like guitar playing on songs like Who Knows, from the Band of Gypsies album. 

It's a real shame. 

I share this sentiment, but also I hazard a guess that I'm one of the few people on here who actually saw him play live. I've shared the story before ... but to condense it into a small space ... I was born and brought up on the isle of wight, and was smuggled by my older hippie cousins into the 1970 festival on the Island. His performance made me want to devote my life to the guitar ... and that's what I did.
    Hendrix was a trailblazer ... he went where nobody else had gone and changed the way guitar was played. Was he the best ever? No of course not ... but he kicked in a lot of doors for others to run through ... and for that he deserves the term 'great'. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Yes I was there too. A very cold night.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10482
    tFB Trader
    jdgm said:
    Yes I was there too. A very cold night.
    And I was grounded for months for being there!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Apparently he played a gig near where I am now in Spalding in the old cattle market.

I’ve chatted to a couple of locals who were there when he played - they said at the time that it was the most bizarre gig they had ever been to. The hype was huge - he turned up, played a bit and everyone left pretty much going “Eh?? WTF was that??!!” 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26615
    OilCityPickups said:

Hendrix was a trailblazer ... he went where nobody else had gone and changed the way guitar was played. Was he the best ever? No of course not ... but he kicked in a lot of doors for others to run through ... and for that he deserves the term 'great'. 
    See...with all the other acts around at the time, I actually have no doubt that we'd have ended up almost exactly where we are in pretty much the same way if he'd never come on the scene.

The only difference would be that we wouldn't have to suffer through all the crappy Hendrix-wannabes trotting out all the same tired old blues licks in the hope that it'll give them credibility-through-mojo literally everywhere you look.

I'd count that as a good thing.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hendrix is amazing and if I had it my way anyone who spoke against him would be perma-banned from the forum.
    Defender of free speech award coming your way ;)

Bye!