Hendrix...

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Hendrix is amazing and if I had it my way anyone who spoke against him would be perma-banned from the forum.
    Defender of free speech award coming your way ;)

Get defending - it’s melting!!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    lukedlb said:
    I believe that Hendrix's legacy continuing to be appreciated goes beyond any of the other guitarists mentioned in this thread due to the range of his ability. Although Jimi was by all means a great guitarist, there were other contemporary guitarists far more expert than he was. What put him above them was his imagination. Moreover, his lead playing, rhythm playing, composition, lyrics, song writing, song interpretation, singing, bass playing (and other instruments including the harpsichord and paper comb), harmonic understanding, production skill, command of both instrument and amplification, grand exponent of fx pedals as well as fx experimentation in the studio (thru zero flanger, stereo panning, leslie guitar, echo experimentation), magnetic performance as well as magnetic playing, intelligence, wit, charm, sexual attraction, individuality, humility, humanity, not to mention his cultural and social significance as an afro-american, ex-soldier, anti-war protestor, young man with the skill and awareness to pull all this off between the age of 24-27, all of this and more is what makes Hendrix relevant and undeserving of 'overrated'.
    The distance in development he covered between purple haze and his final recordings, whether they be Machine Gun or Straight Ahead over that self-same 4-year period puts to shame the lifelong career of Clapton. I don't believe Peter Green's misfortune prevented a development as potent as Jimi's.
    Careers such as Stevie Wonder's or Prince's begin to compare, yet I firmly believe his career, had he lived beyond 1970, would have gone beyond any of our expectations. I mean, he didn't even get to properly use his own recording studio. Who knows what he would have come up with had he changed management, stopped touring, and holed himself up in the studio, rather than suffering the stress and poor health of being pushed to the limit.
    I don't believe he would have gone into jazz-fusion as he had already done it. Silliness and gags just weren't part of that scene and I can't imagine Jimi enjoying it for longer than he did. He already did soul and funk and certainly was a precursor to funkadelic with his electric church routine and band of gypsies. His sonic experimentation may have pushed his recordings and perhaps encouraged his live performances to include larger bands and symphony orchestras. Classical music no doubt would have had a significant influence on him. But here's the thing: Jimi was an artist who not only absorbed everything around him but also included everything about his life and identity to create and produce his music. His love of comic book heroes and sci-fi were as relevant as the vietnam war and muddy waters. as relevant as the distant mother he loved and the women he made love with. While I cannot predict what we would have done, I firmly believe that it would have been a lot.
    Good post.. Did you ever hear that last interview?  In it they discuss his direction (it was made not long before he died) and well basically he wanted to do everything :)  He wanted to do more Hendrix Experience, and just wanted to be a player in a band rather than a just a front man and talks about big band music.. All of it.. 

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    OilCityPickups said:

Hendrix was a trailblazer ... he went where nobody else had gone and changed the way guitar was played. Was he the best ever? No of course not ... but he kicked in a lot of doors for others to run through ... and for that he deserves the term 'great'. 
    See...with all the other acts around at the time, I actually have no doubt that we'd have ended up almost exactly where we are in pretty much the same way if he'd never come on the scene.

The only difference would be that we wouldn't have to suffer through all the crappy Hendrix-wannabes trotting out all the same tired old blues licks in the hope that it'll give them credibility-through-mojo literally everywhere you look.

I'd count that as a good thing.
    You're mixing up Hendrix with SRV.

SRV had a strong Albert King & Hendrix influence but was more a straight blues player, and the relic guitar, aggro strat neck pickup blues style is really down to him. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    OilCityPickups said:

Hendrix was a trailblazer ... he went where nobody else had gone and changed the way guitar was played. Was he the best ever? No of course not ... but he kicked in a lot of doors for others to run through ... and for that he deserves the term 'great'. 
    See...with all the other acts around at the time, I actually have no doubt that we'd have ended up almost exactly where we are in pretty much the same way if he'd never come on the scene.

The only difference would be that we wouldn't have to suffer through all the crappy Hendrix-wannabes trotting out all the same tired old blues licks in the hope that it'll give them credibility-through-mojo literally everywhere you look.

SRV had a strong Albert King & Hendrix influence but was more a straight blues player, and the relic guitar, aggro strat neck pickup blues style is really down to him. 

yeah, at the time he was more an inspiration to get other guitarists playing rather than imitate. For every Trower, there were a 100 inspired to pick up the guitar.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26613
    OilCityPickups said:

I'm really not...SRV was simply a first-gen imitator (and pretty good, to be fair).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    @Rabs that was a great interview. kinda ruined my day... but given me a great idea.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    He wasn't just a guitarist though, was he?
    He wrote some of the most iconic songs of his era and did some amazing covers.
    It's no secret that I think All Along the Watchtower is one of the most amazing recordings ever made. He took an already great song and turned it into a phenomenal song.
    His influence will probably outlast any other rock/blues musician's.
    TBH, I don't know why I took the bait, I must be really bored.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Pah Hendrix, well overrated, could't even play his guitar the right way up...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Sassafras said:
    Yeah, he never had a number 1 hit in the UK. What a loser.
    Nor have you :) 
    Yeah, that's something me and Hendrix have got in common.
    When You think about it, I'm at the same musical standard as he was.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704
    OilCityPickups said:

It's almost impossible to quantify influence, there are obviously many artists were clearly massively influenced by him, Beck, Clapton, SRV, Via, Van Halen, Frusciante, Slash, Satriani, May, Prince for example.

Jimmy Page never saw him play, so you could argue that he wasn't influenced at all, but that assumes Led Zep came from a complete musical vacuum and were not influenced indirectly, by the people who had been influenced by him, the people Jimmy Page saw play and their styles progress.  It was all a big melting pot and most people would agree that by 1970, Hendrix had played a big part in the way rock music was developing.

The fact you have no doubt, leaves me in no doubt, you're probably wrong in your assessment of a course of history that didn't happen and couldn't be quantified if it did ;)

edited May 2019
    lukedlb said:
    ......I don't believe he would have gone into jazz-fusion as he had already done it. Silliness and gags just weren't part of that scene and I can't imagine Jimi enjoying it for longer than he did. He already did soul and funk and certainly was a precursor to funkadelic with his electric church routine and band of gypsies. His sonic experimentation may have pushed his recordings and perhaps encouraged his live performances to include larger bands and symphony orchestras. Classical music no doubt would have had a significant influence on him. But here's the thing: Jimi was an artist who not only absorbed everything around him but also included everything about his life and identity to create and produce his music. His love of comic book heroes and sci-fi were as relevant as the vietnam war and muddy waters. as relevant as the distant mother he loved and the women he made love with. While I cannot predict what we would have done, I firmly believe that it would have been a lot.

Yeah, I think the old 'Jimi would have gone on to do jazz' is a bit spurious. I attended a Eddie Kramer studio seminar some years ago and during the Q & A Kramer said although Hendrix had dabled with a jazz direction towards the end of his career, he'd seen it as a passing interest and Hendrix had explained to Kramer it was not route he was really that interested in pursuing. Hendrix had also suggested he was still interested in a funk/soul direction and continuing experimentation.

Considering Hendrix was always experimenting and looking for new sounds, I wonder if he would headed off into electronic music/synths etc. Seems more likely than cheesy fusion noodle.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    I find it amazing that any fellow musician would think that Hendrix was all about "tired old blues licks". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:
    Yeah, he never had a number 1 hit in the UK. What a loser.
    Nor have you :) 
    Yeah, that's something me and Hendrix have got in common.
    When You think about it, I'm at the same musical standard as he was.
    He had a posthumous No1, bet you haven't........... yet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7148
    DaevidJ said:
    Next up on "Overrated Guitarists" Prince ;) 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    stonevibe said:
    DaevidJ said:

Oh ffs!!!!!!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    pondering....where does Ed Sheeran go to talk gear do you think??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I find it amazing that any fellow musician would think that Hendrix was all about "tired old blues licks". 
    I think you've misunderstood what I was saying.
    <space for hire>
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    stonevibe said:
    DaevidJ said:

Urgh... Much as EC might have been a great guitarist and musician I really don't get on with his music... My father was an avid fan which is probably one of the main reasons why I was put off... 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    p90fool said:
    No, I get that we have to listen to lots of weaker imitators who focus on the simplest aspect, but on the other hand, someone like Nile Rodgers can take a tenth of what Jimi Hendrix was about and build an entire genre around it. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    edited May 2019
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:
    No, I get that we have to listen to lots of weaker imitators who focus on the simplest aspect, but on the other hand, someone like Nile Rodgers can take a tenth of what Jimi Hendrix was about and build an entire genre around it. 
    Well I think in that example one could argue that had Hendrix not come along, Rodgers would still definitely have heard Curtis Mayfield and would have drawn the same influence and created the same output.