Eurovision 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    goldtop said:

I saw that the Icelandic band whipped out "Palestine" flags in the green room when the camera was on them.
    That was good. I'm no fan of the Israeli government, but I was willing to overlook that it was being held in Israel - I think Eurovision is really something that emphasises peace and friendship - after all, the Yugoslav republics, and Russia and Ukraine, have managed to take part even when they've been fighting actual wars with each other. I'm still pleased someone did make a small gesture though, just to make the point that it isn't totally forgotten.

boogieman said:

So is Madonna’s career now. 
    I think it must have been on life support even beforehand, if she was willing to do it at all...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    For data geeks, the Eurovision site is brilliant. You can see which countries voted which way, and how the public telephone vote was awarded. All interactively, too.

Two that show thehuge mismatch of jury and public votes:

Outer ring of numbers shows that almost all public votes except near neighbours was poor, whereas almost all juries
     gave pretty good points.

Contrast with:

Where the song was almost completely ignored by the juries but hugely popular with the public.

And now, for comparison, the votes for the UK:

(Looks like his Irish grannie was busy on her mobile phone.)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6063
    boogieman said:
    prowla said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Madonna... if she’d just turned up in her jeans, t-shirt and a band it’d have been, ‘you had a bad night luv, don’t worry, it happens but when you dress as Robocop and surround yourself with the Death Star chanting monks you’d better have a voice that can live up to the occasion. 
    She reminded me of Kurt Russell as Snake Pliskin in Escape From New York.

I thought he was dead...
    So is Madonna’s career now. 
    Giant sticks of chalk!

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Britain has been scoring cataclysmically low in this thing for decades... Can’t help feeling that social politics come into play with countries voting. Not surprising. And not that I’m saying the UK song was a musical masterpiece and deserved to win.
    Having lived in other countries through the years I know they are all well aware that we  - the British - take this thing with a pinch of salt and tend to send it up. 
    So should the U.K. entrants reasonably be expected to be treated with anything but a mild ‘piss off’.?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    AlexC said:
    Britain has been scoring cataclysmically low in this thing for decades... Can’t help feeling that social politics come into play with countries voting. Not surprising. And not that I’m saying the UK song was a musical masterpiece and deserved to win.
    Having lived in other countries through the years I know they are all well aware that we  - the British - take this thing with a pinch of salt and tend to send it up. 
    So should the U.K. entrants reasonably be expected to be treated with anything but a mild ‘piss off’.?
    It has nothing to do with politics at all - the split voting technique means there can’t be a political outcome.

It’s simple - some countries like Sweden take it very seriously and plow a lot into it - we don’t. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24320
    Hang on a minute....  since when has Israel been in Europe ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Emp_Fab said:
    Errr, you didn’t notice Australia then? 
    AlexC said:
    I thought we were trying to take it seriously this year - the problem was that we entered a song and a performer which would have been appropriate for Britain's Got Simon Cowell's Pension Plan, not Eurovision.

We seem to want to treat it as a throwaway joke for home consumption, but at the same time want the others to take us seriously at the competition, and then get pissed off when they don't think we deserve it.

Emp_Fab said:
    Not this again. I'm not even going to bother explaining :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    ICBM said:
    AlexC said:
    I thought we were trying to take it seriously this year - the problem was that we entered a song and a performer which would have been appropriate for Britain's Got Simon Cowell's Pension Plan, not Eurovision.

We seem to want to treat it as a throwaway joke for home consumption, but at the same time want the others to take us seriously at the competition, and then get pissed off when they don't think we deserve it.

Emp_Fab said:

I watched one of the shows of the competition for the UK entry and nothing was particularly good.

The last good UK entry was the one with the camp air steward asking if you'd like something to suck on for take-off!
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Hahaha...  I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, and I assume the answer's in there somewhere.

It's a completely pointless exercise....  'song for Europe'....    FFS....  it would never get commissioned these days.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I normally watch it but couldn’t last night. Had a look at a couple of scratchy versions of Madonna’s performance on YouTube today ( doesn’t seem to be on the official Eurovision channel). It’s quite odd, lots of political symbolism that I don’t quite understand I think. Or just odd, verging on the unpleasant. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited May 2019
    Did anyone have subtitles on?

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I normally watch it but couldn’t last night. Had a look at a couple of scratchy versions of Madonna’s performance on YouTube today ( doesn’t seem to be on the official Eurovision channel). It’s quite odd, lots of political symbolism that I don’t quite understand I think. Or just odd, verging on the unpleasant. 
    Madonna’s eye patch represented the single vision of those that are blind to freedom and flags.*

*Possibly.
    Emp_Fab said:

Hahaha...  I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, and I assume the answer's in there somewhere.
    Nope.

It's just a classic stupid question that's been answered thousands of times.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Nope.

I’m pretty sure by Emp every year for starters...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    There are basically no rules to entry for the Euro vision artists, I don't see why we can't convince ab already popular musician to represent us, we could actually have a chance. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Nope.

I’m pretty sure by Emp every year for starters...
    Cheeky bugger!  No actually!  I’ve nev.....   hang on...  AUSTRALIA is in it too ???
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    There are basically no rules to entry for the Euro vision artists, I don't see why we can't convince ab already popular musician to represent us, we could actually have a chance. 
    That would be even more of a poisoned chalice than being Prime Minister at the moment.

Why would any established musical artist want to be known forever more as "Nil Point", because our government had pissed off the EU or bombed the shit out of somewhere in the Middle East?
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    p90fool said:
    That would be even more of a poisoned chalice than being Prime Minister at the moment.

Why would any established musical artist want to be known forever more as "Nil Point", because our government had pissed off the EU or bombed the shit out of somewhere in the Middle East?
    Blue entered a few years back, I know they are not exactly the Beatles but they were big in the pop world at the time. Didn’t make top 10, and that was before half the English population gave the rest of Europe the middle finger!
    p90fool said:

Blue entered a few years back, I know they are not exactly the Beatles but they were big in the pop world at the time. Didn’t make top 10, and that was before half the English population gave the rest of Europe the middle finger!
    Popular U.K. singers entering Eurovision was the norm at one point - Cliff Richard ( twice), Lulu, Olivia Newton John,etc. Looking at the list of U.K. entries we didn’t really send unknowns until Co-Co in 1978. 
    Now you’d  have to find someone already popular across Europe into Eastern Europe, Middle East and Australia to do well. Can’t be many people in that list.