Eurovision 2019

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72367
    There are basically no rules to entry for the Euro vision artists, I don't see why we can't convince ab already popular musician to represent us, we could actually have a chance. 
    If we were serious about it we’d get Calvin Harris to write a song and Dua Lipa to sing it, or someone like that. But they probably wouldn’t want to.

BeardyAndy said:

Blue entered a few years back, I know they are not exactly the Beatles but they were big in the pop world at the time. Didn’t make top 10, and that was before half the English population gave the rest of Europe the middle finger!
    Blue were a typical declining-career ‘nothing to lose by having a go’ entry and weren’t very good. The last time it worked was with Katrina & The Waves... that’s only just over 20 years ago, which is a lot more recently than most of the other countries have won it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Justin Hawkins has been dying to do Eurovision for ages. He lost the competition to be the representative a while ago, but I think we should just send him, and have him do a typical over the top Darkness show.

That'll show 'em.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    p90fool said:
    There are basically no rules to entry for the Euro vision artists, I don't see why we can't convince ab already popular musician to represent us, we could actually have a chance. 
    That would be even more of a poisoned chalice than being Prime Minister at the moment.

Why would any established musical artist want to be known forever more as "Nil Point", because our government had pissed off the EU or bombed the shit out of somewhere in the Middle East?
    Blue entered a few years back, I know they are not exactly the Beatles but they were big in the pop world at the time. Didn’t make top 10, and that was before half the English population gave the rest of Europe the middle finger!
    But after the bombing of Libya and the Iraq War. It's actually quite an eye-opener seeing how loathed the UK often is around the world, contrary to what we assume from the comfort of home. 

We like to imagine we're perceived as a kind of benign uncle to the rest of the world, but often we're regarded as a former abuser who occasionally shows we've never really changed. 
    Eurovision is a healthy reminder of that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    the Pogo-ing Kate Bush got my vote... oh, then there was the younger Madona-be from Cyprus - I quite liked watching her, can't remember the song though...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I normally watch it but couldn’t last night. Had a look at a couple of scratchy versions of Madonna’s performance on YouTube today ( doesn’t seem to be on the official Eurovision channel). It’s quite odd, lots of political symbolism that I don’t quite understand I think. Or just odd, verging on the unpleasant. 
    Ah yes. The fallen Madonna with the big boobies...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12373
    p90fool said:
    That would be even more of a poisoned chalice than being Prime Minister at the moment.

Why would any established musical artist want to be known forever more as "Nil Point", because our government had pissed off the EU or bombed the shit out of somewhere in the Middle East?
    Imaani was our entry a few years ago. I know she’s not exactly a household name but she’s a stunning singer (check her out performing with City Funk Orchestra if you’re a soul/funk fan, they’re brilliant). I doubt our piss poor performance is much to do with the singer really.  It’s a combination of dire songs with no hook and the fact Nobody Likes Us. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    boogieman said:
    p90fool said:

Imaani was our entry a few years ago. I know she’s not exactly a household name but she’s a stunning singer (check her out performing with City Funk Orchestra if you’re a soul/funk fan, they’re brilliant). I doubt our piss poor performance is much to do with the singer really.  It’s a combination of dire songs with no hook and the fact Nobody Likes Us. 
    I watched the winner and as a song I thought it'll be nice when it's finished. The quality of music is very marginal in what wins.  

We contributed a naff song by an okay singer, nobody likes us and the UK is no longer the centre of pop music in Europe. If you go back to when the UK where the only country singing in English that was a big advantage and there was some deference toward us as the centre of pop music/ culture, the other entries usually sounded very regional with little cross border appeal. All of that has long gone, especially with the widening of the countries involved ( and Brexit has now alienated the Irish who were the only dependable voters). Any circumstances that would see the UK finishing in the top 10 are a very long way off.         
    And although it isn't an important thing in itself it is, as @p90fool was saying a reminder of how many people now see us. I'm moving to Kirkcudbright and burning my passport at Hadrian's Wall... 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited May 2019
    /\ our Naff song was written by the same SWEDISH team that wrote the Swedish entry but was given away as was deemed not good enough!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>