Scratching the Telecaster itch

What's Hot

Comments

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    timmypix said:

I A/Bed both pretty extensively a couple years ago and eventually went with the rowadworn as it was noticeably "livelier" acoustically and the neck was better for me (lovely raw wood feel and good goldilocks profile between the sheer clubbiness of the Baja and the dreaded modern C).

Now this sounds right up my alley! Recently acquired a satin finish PRS and oh my god it feels like wood not thick plastic - heaven. I'll definitely look out for a roadworn. It's just a templated relic on a thin finish, right?

Yes, very thin finish. From 2015 or so onwards the relicing became much less outrageous, which is a bonus in my book. A few dings, bit of buckle rash and checking. and more importantly the fingerboard is almost untouched.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    Bajas are nice. You won't regret it.
    If the finnish is a "problem" (it's thick poly), Road Worns are a bit more expensive but they look like great guitars.

My #1 for years has been a MIM Classic 50's with a Wilkinson bridge, SD bridge pickup and DiMarzio neck pickup and the only thing I really hate about it it's the stupidly thick plastic finish.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Easy to get the Baja finish off with a heat gun and refinish in some kind of oil finish 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3215
    Ive got a mij ‘62 tele in the classifieds that I keep toying with keeping -pop a quality set of pickups in (not that the originals are bad, they could just be better) and upgrade the wiring and it’ll be a cracking guitar. They are honestly hard to beat and I prefer the neck to some era’s of US standard which can be a bit slim.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    Has anyone got any experience of The Nashville Tele?
    seems to cover all bases for about £700.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    I have a 50's Baja, I will never part with it. Of all the guitars Ive owned that one will stay with me.

If I could find a 50's Baja with P90's I'd be all over it like Julian Assange's sunscreen.  
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited June 2019
    My mate has just got one of them new player series teles (basically the new rebadged MIM series) and it's very nice and under £500. I dont even normally like Fenders but it's really nice to play. The soft V on the Baja is great too though and I prefer the pickups on that one.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Depends what you want/think to hear when playing. For me, when I checked some maybe four years ago, was USA Standard and the Baja.

Try a few and see.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703

I don't think the Callaham had the impact I thought it would. 
    I found the Callaham took away from the classic Tele vibe tbh, not in a bad way, it added sustain and sounded fuller, but less twang and cut than a traditional tele bridge. They are very nicely made but quite a bit thicker than other plates. I ended up with a Glendale, depends what you are after really. 

• AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    thomasw88 said:
    get a levinson blade.  I've had a baja before and it was fine.  However, the Blades absolutely blew it out the water for everything apart from the pickups.  But you can replace them for not much money..  They go ridiculously cheap 2nd hand.
    Spot on.  I have an '89 Blade T2 (which became the Delta) and it is a great guitar, close to CS in quality and with Blades active contron, VSC, incredibly versatile. Have repaslced the p/ups, nothing wrong with originals.  Have an SD Broadcaster in the bridge and TV Jones Classic in the neck.  Heavy bugger though as it weighs in at around 9lbs.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    What are your thoughts on relics?
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    JDE said:

Honestly, it depends on the relic. I absolutely love the feel of a worn-in neck, and a well-done relic wouldn't bother me, but there are a lot of dodgy DIY ones out there. Doubt I could get a decent one on my budget unless I stretch and go the SC Relics partscaster route, which is why I'm not explicitly looking for one. If one came up with the right spec I'd certainly give it a look.
    Tim
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    JDE said:
    scrummy!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    JDE said:
    scrummy!

Ooof!!!  lovely.
    Remove the Bigsby and I'll have that. Except I won't because it looks expensive.
    Tim
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Have to agree that a 50s Baja sounds like it would fit the bill. Find one that is not a boat anchor and replace the S1 switching malarky for standard Tele switching and you're golden.
    Yes, the finish can be quite thick but also it seems pretty easy to remove (heat gun and spatula) if you want to refinish.

Yeah I'm definitely going to be checking out a 50s Baja. Only thing I'm not keen on is the "classic" butterscotch colour, so I might see if anywhere's got a 60s Baja to try as well. Just remembered Highway One exists, with a nice thin finish and the classic saddles, but they've got the modern C neck, which I don't mind but I prefer thicker if possible. 
    I've been entertaining the partscaster route but unless a used one comes up, I think it's a bit much to put together from scratch. Although, it does look like SC Relics' bodies come with a bridge so that saves some cost.
    Tim
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    The 60s has a completely different neck on it - not the chunky faint v the 50s are so revered for. Nearer to a modern C I think - maybe a tad thicker.
    The Baja "butterscotch" is actually rather ugly - more pumpkin. The Desert Sand is nicer.
    (SC Relics don't come with a bridge but Scott can supply one)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703
    timmypix said:
    Yeah I'm definitely going to be checking out a 50s Baja. Only thing I'm not keen on is the "classic" butterscotch colour, so I might see if anywhere's got a 60s Baja to try as well. Just remembered Highway One exists, with a nice thin finish and the classic saddles, but they've got the modern C neck, which I don't mind but I prefer thicker if possible. 
    I've been entertaining the partscaster route but unless a used one comes up, I think it's a bit much to put together from scratch. Although, it does look like SC Relics' bodies come with a bridge so that saves some cost.
    Re the partscaster option, any luthier can put one together relatively easy.  The guy near me charges £100.  Although I did mine myself, I still paid him £60 to do a fret dress and setup, so if I do another I'll probably just let him do it all.
    Just having a drill press makes it easier but I assembled mine fine by hand.

I think setup is where people fail with partscasters, unless you are really good cutting nuts, dressing frets etc, they end up just okay, whereas with a pro set up they go to the next level.

My mate has a Baja and it is very nice, but I do prefer my partscaster.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You're a font of wisdom, thanks Gavin! 
    Tim