Scratching the Telecaster itch

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12416
    timmypix said:
    Yeah I'm definitely going to be checking out a 50s Baja. Only thing I'm not keen on is the "classic" butterscotch colour, so I might see if anywhere's got a 60s Baja to try as well. Just remembered Highway One exists, with a nice thin finish and the classic saddles, but they've got the modern C neck, which I don't mind but I prefer thicker if possible. 
    I've been entertaining the partscaster route but unless a used one comes up, I think it's a bit much to put together from scratch. Although, it does look like SC Relics' bodies come with a bridge so that saves some cost.
    Re the partscaster option, any luthier can put one together relatively easy.  The guy near me charges £100.  Although I did mine myself, I still paid him £60 to do a fret dress and setup, so if I do another I'll probably just let him do it all.
    Just having a drill press makes it easier but I assembled mine fine by hand.

I think setup is where people fail with partscasters, unless you are really good cutting nuts, dressing frets etc, they end up just okay, whereas with a pro set up they go to the next level.

My mate has a Baja and it is very nice, but I do prefer my partscaster.  
    My partscaster is a highway one tele body and an allparts rosewood 60s type neck (from Axecaster)  The frets are fine but after doing every bit of it myself I took it to a tech to properly cut and polish the neck which made a noticeable difference
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    Go for the Mexican Lacquer series,

YR1GLc4.jpg
    VjaAPak.jpg

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    sweepy said:

YR1GLc4.jpg
    VjaAPak.jpg

I've always thought it is a pity they don't do a 60's rosewood neck version.
    Bound custom would be nice, but I guess it would eat into sales of other models.
  •  

I don't think the Callaham had the impact I thought it would. 
    I found the Callaham took away from the classic Tele vibe tbh, not in a bad way, it added sustain and sounded fuller, but less twang and cut than a traditional tele bridge. They are very nicely made but quite a bit thicker than other plates. I ended up with a Glendale, depends what you are after really. 

I will check out the Glendale...I know what you mean :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    timmypix said:
    Remove the Bigsby and I'll have that. Except I won't because it looks expensive.

Have sent you a PM with something you may or may not like! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2412
    sweepy said:

YR1GLc4.jpg
    VjaAPak.jpg

I'll have a look, thanks - is that the model name?
    Tim
  • timmypix said:
    Yeah I'm definitely going to be checking out a 50s Baja. Only thing I'm not keen on is the "classic" butterscotch colour, so I might see if anywhere's got a 60s Baja to try as well
    My other half has a 50’s Baja in Desert Sand, but replaced the white scratchplate with a tortie one. It looks fabulous.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    timmypix said:
    Yeah I'm definitely going to be checking out a 50s Baja. Only thing I'm not keen on is the "classic" butterscotch colour, so I might see if anywhere's got a 60s Baja to try as well
    My other half has a 50’s Baja in Desert Sand, but replaced the white scratchplate with a tortie one. It looks fabulous.
    Interested in selling the white plate at all?

I agree the 50's Baja butterscotch colour is more of a milky tea, pukey , muddy water kind of colour. But, I soon forget about what it looks like when playing it and to be fair to it it isnt that bad. For me the S1 switching is pretty useless , I simply dont use it , at all. But if I need it its there. Its basically a Tele, built like a tank, twangy , thick neck, Pups sound great (apparently Custom Shop 'Twisted Tele' pickup at the neck and a Custom Shop Broadcaster single-coil at the bridge), this gives you a better idea of the switching and what it all does ,  https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fender-classic-player-baja-telecaster-26465

So for me the only niggle is the colour, which I get over very quickly when playing it. If you do get one, source a spare S1 switch, when I needed to change mine it was hard to find one, perhaps its easier nowadays though.

To be fair on the finish though, if you look at any old Ash bodied guitar, say one from the 70's, they usually are a milky tea, muddy water kind of colour anyway, so maybe this colour isnt too far off anyway. 

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    edited June 2019
    Just to add, you can get a Sunburst 50's, which I think looks gorgeous. I seem to remember there being a metallic blue one as well. I missed a chance to buy a Sunburst one last year shortly before I bought mine, Ive seen a few for sale since but not many. And there is also a Pink one!

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-classic-player-baja-telecaster-sunburst/49764

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    timmypix said:
    sweepy said:

YR1GLc4.jpg
    VjaAPak.jpg

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/telecaster/fender-classic-series-50s-telecaster-lacquer-in-white-blonde

Thats the series, they do pop up s/h now and again 
    sweepy said:
    timmypix said:
    sweepy said:

YR1GLc4.jpg
    VjaAPak.jpg

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/telecaster/fender-classic-series-50s-telecaster-lacquer-in-white-blonde

Thats the series, they do pop up s/h now and again 
    Brilliant, thank you. I'll see if I can try one alongside a Baja next time I'm in PMT.
    Tim
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2531
    The new Baja doesn't feel the same to me. I would see if you can check out a local second hand one. Love mine after ridding it of the evil stuff!

The new Baja doesn't feel the same to me. I would see if you can check out a local second hand one. Love mine after ridding it of the evil stuff!

Well you're bound to like the baja, the other two aren't even finished : )
    munckee said:

Well you're bound to like the baja, the other two aren't even finished : )
    What you talking about @munckee - you only need 2 pickups!!
    edited June 2019

What's the difference between newer and older ones? And what do you mean by the "evil stuff"? Lacquer? Sorry to bombard you with questions!
    Tim
    timmypix said:

What's the difference between newer and older ones? And what do you mean by the "evil stuff"? Lacquer? Sorry to bombard you with questions!
    The thick poly sh#t they coat the guitar in. You can see the grain under the finish and to me it is glorious, so my first job was to strip it off. 

I always pick up a Baja if I see one in the shops and some don't have the same feel - to me at least.  When I bought mine second hand from a shop as soon as I picked it up I knew I had to have it and I wasn't even looking for a Tele!  Mine is very light and the neck carve fits my hand like a glove.

I guess it is the old adage of all guitars are different so try before you buy ;)
    timmypix said:

The thick poly sh#t they coat the guitar in. You can see the grain under the finish and to me it is glorious, so my first job was to strip it off. 

I always pick up a Baja if I see one in the shops and some don't have the same feel - to me at least.  When I bought mine second hand from a shop as soon as I picked it up I knew I had to have it and I wasn't even looking for a Tele!  Mine is very light and the neck carve fits my hand like a glove.

I guess it is the old adage of all guitars are different so try before you buy ;)
    Yeah I'm not a fan of thick finishes, but also have no space/skill to strip a finish, so I might have to suck it up if everything else is right. I'll try as many as I can but ultimately it's cheaper to buy used, which quite often means buying blind online - especially as I'm keener on the tobacco sunburst finish than the "classic" blond look. Thanks for the advice :)

Tim
    @lovestrat74 baja looks great up close, I'm sure you could strip the poly, hot air gun and a scraper!
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    @lovestrat74 ; that tele looks incredible. Did you true-oil the whole thing, neck and fingerboard included?
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • timmypix said:
    timmypix said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of thick finishes, but also have no space/skill to strip a finish, so I might have to suck it up if everything else is right. I'll try as many as I can but ultimately it's cheaper to buy used, which quite often means buying blind online - especially as I'm keener on the tobacco sunburst finish than the "classic" blond look. Thanks for the advice :)

Stripping the finish isn't hard. Especially on a flat top like a Tele. 
    Remove hardware & neck
    Use a heat gun & flexible spatula- it'll lift right off. 
    Sand to bare wood
    Refinish with oil ( or whatever you prefer). 
    Take your time & it'll be ok.  
    If the worst happens & you mess up simply buy a new body from Guitarbuild. 

https://i.imgur.com/JOGbPx2.jpg

The one on the left was poly & is now oiled. It's MUCH lighter & more resonant. 
    The blue one is a stain under oil on a Guitarbuild body. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom