Scratching the Telecaster itch

What's Hot

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    Unfortunately, living in a flat, I don't have the space to be sanding and generally making a mess. Nor would I see the point in buying a heat gun that I'm never going to use again! I suppose I could hold it off until I'm living somewhere with more space, but right now it just wouldn't be practical.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    @lovestrat74 ; that tele looks incredible. Did you true-oil the whole thing, neck and fingerboard included?
    Can't remember the exact oil I used but I don't think it really matter tbh any good oil will bring the ash to life. On the neck I got some osmo oil to tint/darken the fret board. There is no lacquer on the guitar, it is all oiled.
    edited June 2019
    Spanner in the works - went to Dawsons today (miserable, uninterested staff!) and had a go on the Baja Tele. Loved the sounds but didn't like the neck. Liked the thickness but didn't get on with the soft V at all - I balance my thumb on the back of the neck and I found it very uncomfortable. That said, it was the first guitar where I found fretting with my thumb comfortable, so I get the appeal, but it's not for me. Also found the body remarkably unresonant - I wonder if that was the thick finish or just a bad example of the guitar.

So, if I don't like the neck on the Baja, I guess I can live with the modern C that's ubiquitous across the Fender range, even if I would prefer something more akin to the wide fat profile on my PRS singlecuts.

Is there a model with a chunky neck that's not the soft V, or should I just settle for the modern C? What would the hive mind recommend now with my revised criteria - tradtitional bridge/brass saddles, thin finish if possible. Loved the pickups on the Baja - the Twisted Tele neck was Stratty and the wiring mods were fun, but they can be done to any Tele ultimately.
    Tim
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    You need to try the Classic 50's.
    That may be the perfect neck for you.
    If you can find a lacquer version you'd have thin nitro finish instead of the thick plastic from the regular model.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypix said:
    Spanner in the works - went to Dawsons today (miserable, uninterested staff!) and had a go on the Baja Tele. Loved the sounds but didn't like the neck. Liked the thickness but didn't get on with the soft V at all - I balance my thumb on the back of the neck and I found it very uncomfortable. That said, it was the first guitar where I found fretting with my thumb comfortable, so I get the appeal, but it's not for me. Also found the body remarkably unresonant - I wonder if that was the thick finish or just a bad example of the guitar.

So, if I don't like the neck on the Baja, I guess I can live with the modern C that's ubiquitous across the Fender range, even if I would prefer something more akin to the wide fat profile on my PRS singlecuts.

Is there a model with a chunky neck that's not the soft V, or should I just settle for the modern C? What would the hive mind recommend now with my revised criteria - tradtitional bridge/brass saddles, thin finish if possible. Loved the pickups on the Baja - the Twisted Tele neck was Stratty and the wiring mods were fun, but they can be done to any Tele ultimately.
    Classic player 60’s then? Slimmer neck with flatter radius (though slightly different to modern c), 3 brass saddles, slightly brighter pickups than the 50’s Baja but not hugely different. 
    The one I have is lightweight and resonant, but I guess they vary. 
    Jota said:
    You need to try the Classic 50's.
    That may be the perfect neck for you.
    If you can find a lacquer version you'd have thin nitro finish instead of the thick plastic from the regular model.
    None available in PMT or Dawsons in Manchester, unfortunately. PMT have the 60s Baja which looks intriguing though. The Classic 50s lacquer does look like it ticks all the boxes, but I've never played a 7.25" radius so would need to try that before risking a blind buy. If I get on with that, then I guess it's just a case of keeping an eye on the used market for one.
    Tim
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    60s Baja?
    On a different note, has anyone got any thoughts on Highway One Teles? Looks like they had thin/nitro finishes. I've got an early H1 Strat and that's got a really thin satin poly finish that's worn nicely, if not aged in the way nitro would.
    Tim
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    I have had a road worn in nitro finish and a highway one body. I had the HW1 refinished I didn't like the satin. The roadworn was much nicer and had a great neck

only issue was the tex mex pickups change them and the roadworn is a great tele. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    edited June 2019
    I made a Tele up from parts (Fender MIM neck & body) and it turned out rather good.

I wouldn't class myself as a Tele player, but I played a couple of riffs off Led Zep one and it sounded spookily good...
    Oh I'd forgotten about the road-worn model - a quick search just seems to bring up lots of Brad Paisley models but I guess it's just a case of keeping an ear to the ground now. Thank you everyone who's chimed in, eventually there'll be an NGD post, I'm sure.
    Tim
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    60s Baja seems the one to try out if you liked the Baja except for the neck, it doesn't have the V but it's a tiny but chunkier than a modern C.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I’d get @IvisonGuitars a call. I’m going down the tele route at some stage too and experiencing the same dilemmas as you I.e. neck profiles, colour spec etc. So I’ll be getting Neil yo shape the neck how I like it and spec exactly what I want. It’ll be a splendid guitar I know it :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Anyone mentioned the MIJ Hybrid 60s yet?
    U shaped neck, AV58 pickups, 4 way switch, vintage-looking locking tuners, looks similar quality to the Mex Classic Player range (or maybe a touch better?) 
    I've tried the traditional Japanese midnight model and that was nice but i think it was a 7.25 radius, whereas the hybrid is 9.5 (well, 250mm actually, a tad more...).
    Might be worth finding one to try.  Think they do a 50s and a 60s actually.
    Just had a look at his work and those are some gorgeous JP Juniors, which isn't helping my other craving! However, I'm nervous to pursue that route as I'm guessing a custom neck carve won't be the most budget-friendly path to wander down. Hoping to try a 60s Baja this weekend to see how I get on with that.
    Tim
    Anyone mentioned the MIJ Hybrid 60s yet?
    U shaped neck, AV58 pickups, 4 way switch, vintage-looking locking tuners, looks similar quality to the Mex Classic Player range (or maybe a touch better?) 
    I've tried the traditional Japanese midnight model and that was nice but i think it was a 7.25 radius, whereas the hybrid is 9.5 (well, 250mm actually, a tad more...).
    Might be worth finding one to try.  Think they do a 50s and a 60s actually.
    Ohhh well this certainly sounds intriguing, thank you! Guessing they don't pop up often, so I'd need to find something with a U neck to try and then keep an eye out, as that sounds like a good spec.
    Tim
    I liked (and miss!) the Baja 60s I had, but found the neck to not be much thicker at all than the American Special (C shape) I had at the same time. Plus, the new ones are pau ferro rather than rosewood, should that bother you. 
    Preferred the S1 switching sounds on the 60s over the 50s Baja but all that stuff still seemed a bit superfluous really
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    timmypix said:
    Just had a look at his work and those are some gorgeous JP Juniors, which isn't helping my other craving! However, I'm nervous to pursue that route as I'm guessing a custom neck carve won't be the most budget-friendly path to wander down. Hoping to try a 60s Baja this weekend to see how I get on with that.
    Thanks for the tag @hotpickups and thanks for the kind words on the builds @timmypix. A carve to your spec or a re-carve of an existing neck is certainly possible and won’t necessarily break the bank depending on what you’re looking for. Just give me a shout if I can help :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    I liked (and miss!) the Baja 60s I had, but found the neck to not be much thicker at all than the American Special (C shape) I had at the same time. Plus, the new ones are pau ferro rather than rosewood, should that bother you. 
    Preferred the S1 switching sounds on the 60s over the 50s Baja but all that stuff still seemed a bit superfluous really
    Sounds good to me! From what I can tell the S1 switching does the same thing (phase switch), or is it just you preferred it on those pickups?
    Tim
    Yes, S1 functions the same on both Baja models, but I just thought it sounded significantly more useable on the 60s for some reason.  Way less hollowed out, as I remember.