• How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
    • Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
    • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...
    • Think and Grow Rich
    • The Power of Positive Thinking
    • How to Win Friends and Influence People
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Re Borders and Waterstones. Amazon, and to some extent the supermarket selling bestsellers, have killed off a lot of book shops by slashing their prices. Now Amazon have been slowly cranking their prices up.... they always seemed to price new release hardbacks at £10 or less, now it’s more likely to be much more. 

Must admit I stopped using our local library a long time back. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16106
    The Bodleian at Oxford is something incredibly special ........over 13 million books ,ancient manuscripts and a very special smell that reminds me of student days -incredible how the olfactory senses can be so evocative.
    This is one of the oldest libraries in Europe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22978
    boogieman said:
    Re Borders and Waterstones. Amazon, and to some extent the supermarket selling bestsellers, have killed off a lot of book shops by slashing their prices. Now Amazon have been slowly cranking their prices up.... they always seemed to price new release hardbacks at £10 or less, now it’s more likely to be much more. 

Must admit I stopped using our local library a long time back. 
    As I've said before (too many times, probably), Amazon are so big now, they have a virtual monopoly - on books, music, DVD/Blu-ray, many other things.  No need to keep prices down, no need to have quite the customer service they used to.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2772
    Foyles in Charing Cross Rd before they modernised it a decade or so back.  You could get lost in there and never be found agaun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom