Great Guitar wrong make

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I thank the Gods that such snobbery exists. 1990’s Jacksons are almost prohibitively expensive enough as it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, my next guitar is likely to be either an Epiphone or a Squier. I have a Gibson, they're not without their faults. At least Epiphone fixed the headstock angle design flaw. I don't reckon it's worth spending all that extra cash just for a slightly nicer finish and the Gibson headstock/logo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I wouldn't discount any guitar because of the name.  You have to try it first.  I have lots of different brands, including vintage Gibson's and Fender's, but I still have Squier's and Epiphones.  I also have some no-name and several custom made guitars.  I tend to go with the acoustic sound of the guitar, as the pickups and electrics can all be upgraded later, but if the sound is dead, then you are not going to be able to do much (unless it's a bolt on neck, where you can check some things like tightness of the neck joint and in an extreme, replace the neck).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    If I was looking I'd give anything a go, but it would probably have to be a very exceptional Taylor to get me to part with cash (GS mini excepted, as @sticker 's sounds great) purely because they seem ludicrously over-priced for what you get. And that's after playing a few, including some that are perpetually way outside my budget. Nice guitars but … I don't know, nothing to gel with or some indefinable missing link.

Inevitably I'm going to end up with a Taylor before the year's out, having said that :)
  • Working in a guitar store I get to try a whole load of guitars... I wouldn't entirely discount a brand just because of the name - I love Fender and own several Americans, Gretsch hollow bodies are phenomenal but I'm not fussed at all by their solid body models. Godin make some incredible guitars at much lower prices than the 'big' companies but I'm not sure whether I would actually own one.  I've never been at all fussed by Gibson and I have a passionate dislike for Les Pauls, Martin make some very good guitars and I'd love one but I'd have to have a lot of spare cash before I would be willing to spend that much on one (£8500 for a D45!!!).  I would always try anything, except maybe Squier or Epiphone but even then they can make some decent guitars.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    I won't buy any guitar that makes me sound crap!

Having played several I wouldn't buy a PRS, they do absolutely nothing fo rme. I've looked at Duisenbergs and thought nthey were overpriced.

My favourite guitar use to be a Squier Bullet that I played for 30-odd years and wore the neck out. It cost me £65.
  • Ive a number of Squiers, 3 guitars and bass. All fantastic for the money, plus you can fettle them/refinish/change pickups etc.. to your liking with without being too precious about them.

I could spend £600 on a Fender equivalent, but i would still end up changing the pickups etc anyway, just for the sake of a headstock logo.