Unpopular Opinion? Megadeth>>>>Metallica

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18782
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    The remasters are horrendous. Mega Dave totally f**ked with the albums. I'm not sure if the vinyl reissues are the same though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22892
    We've been busy slagging off his singing on this thread, but I sincerely hope he makes a full recovery - and gets back to singing again!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Philly_Q said:
    We've been busy slagging off his singing on this thread, but I sincerely hope he makes a full recovery - and gets back to singing again!

I actually quite like his singing.. well.. early on singing.. you can hear so much rage in it and it comes across with so much genuine anger and resentment, which for an angry teen listening to this stuff is pure magic :) Sure it's not singing in a conventional sense, but i like it. Later on, not so much, but still...

Hope he makes a full recovery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    So do I, totally fits the music.

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited June 2019
    SFSGSW, RIP, CTE, to a lesser extent Youthanasia and some songs off Cryptic Writing are my favourites. I think, with different production, Cryptic Writings could have been a really good album too.
    I have skipped through their later albums, and while it doesn´t sound any worse than my favourites, I think it´s probably due to my age, and just wanting to hear something different, hence not really needing to hear any more Megadeth. The last few albums seem to get good reviews. Worth checking out?
    As a guitarist, Megadeth wins hands down for riff learning!
    The Hidden Treasures album has some good stuff on it too.
    Apparently they recorded Youthanasia live, to click tracks I think.
    I agree with other. Testament, Sacred Reich etc have some equally monstrous riffs.
    SFSGSW, RIP, CTE, to a lesser extent Youthanasia and some songs off Cryptic Writing are my favourites. I think, with different production, Cryptic Writings could have been a really good album too.
    I have skipped through their later albums, and while it doesn´t sound any worse than my favourites, I think it´s probably due to my age, and just wanting to hear something different, hence not really needing to hear any more Megadeth. The last few albums seem to get good reviews. Worth checking out?
    As a guitarist, Megadeth wins hands down for riff learning!
    The Hidden Treasures album has some good stuff on it too.
    Apparently they recorded Youthanasia live, to click tracks I think.
    I agree with other. Testament, Sacred Reich etc have some equally monstrous riffs.
    Yes well worth checking out some of the recent stuff. Endgame and Dystopia are both really strong - both classic riffy Megadeth. XIII less so. Super Collidor is fecking awful.

There was a good little documentary that was released about the recording of Youthanasia. I had it on VHS. It's probably on YouTube by now. Yup, here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7P3Uz5ApDc

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Metallica were better in the 80s, Megadeth better in the 90s (although I love Re/Load too).

I remember when I was a teenager all the little edgelords would say "Megadef iz betta". In fact that whole discussion perfectly mirrors modern British politics.
    Megadeth's recent albums are almost self-parody. Guitar solo every 15 seconds. MegaDave is a good guitarist but all his solos are complete dogshit - if he didn't have Friedman/Poland/Young etc Megadeth wouldn't have been nearly as popular.
    Bidley said:
    Megadeth's recent albums are almost self-parody. Guitar solo every 15 seconds. MegaDave is a good guitarist but all his solos are complete dogshit - if he didn't have Friedman/Poland/Young etc Megadeth wouldn't have been nearly as popular.
    I'm tempted to say let's rank all the Megadeth guitarists and see if there's any agreement, but it's probably not worth the bother.
    Philly_Q said:
    Bidley said:
    I'm tempted to say let's rank all the Megadeth guitarists and see if there's any agreement, but it's probably not worth the bother.
    I agree - everyone is going to (quite rightly) say Friedman, then Poland. The rest are interchangeable.

;)
    Bidley said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Bidley said:
    I agree - everyone is going to (quite rightly) say Friedman, then Poland. The rest are interchangeable.

;)
    Which is pretty much what I'd have said!  :)
    edited June 2019
    Bidley said:
    There's quite a bit to pick apart here.

Firstly Dave has always played lots of the lead stuff on Megadeth songs.
    Secondly they've always had loads and loads of solos. Some of their most famous songs are solo battles between Dave and whoever the second guitarist is. Hanger 18 for example the whole second half of the song, and there are many like this.
    And thirdly some of those very iconic solos have been Dave playing. 

You may not like the new material, but you're just being revisionist with this idea somehow the formula has changed. 

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I don't really think that arguing a band would have been shit without a brilliant lead guitarist makes any sense at all. David Lee Roth, Ozzy etc etc would agree with me I feel. It's not absolutely necessary, Metallica managed without one!

Personally rate Mustaine very highly.

I know - it's mostly tuneless widdle for the sake of widdle.

I can't name one that I liked that Dave played - the only one that comes close is the final solo on Holy Wars, and even that sets my teeth on edge. He hasn't done anything that's close to - for example - the solo in Tornado of Souls or Symphony. Even his tone is awful.

The guitar battle in Hangar 18 highlights perfectly the gulf in class between him and Friedman. Friedman's passages have a bit of craft and sense of melody. Mustaine's are just "play any old shit as fast as I can".

Yes Megadeth has always had a focus on solos, but nearly every song recently has about 15 of them. And barely any are memorable. Recently they just don't seem to have much to say, musically.

Mustaine is a very important figure in the metal and guitar world, for me. He's written some classic stuff. But his solos are pants.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Cmon, Metallica were, are and always have been one step up from glam hair metal bands!... corporate safe “metal” about as edgy as cliff richard, the joe bonamassa of the metal genre...
    edited June 2019
    poopot said:
    Cmon, Metallica were, are and always have been one step up from glam hair metal bands!... corporate safe “metal” about as edgy as cliff richard, the joe bonamassa of the metal genre...

From the man who brought us the Clapton and Hendrix threads.  

You could have put it differently:

"Metallica... why are they considered one of the greats?

To my mind they are vastly overrated... "   

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Philly_Q said:
    poopot said:

From the man who brought us the Clapton and Hendrix threads.  

You could have put it differently:

"Metallica... why are they considered one of the greats?

To my mind they are vastly overrated... "   

Totally agree with you on that one!

hugely overrated!...
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Bidley said:

Mustaine is a very important figure in the metal and guitar world, for me. He's written some classic stuff. But his solos are pants.
    Except for all the solos he wrote that Kirk played on Kill em all and RTL.... 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    RobDavies said:
    Bidley said:

Except for all the solos he wrote that Kirk played on Kill em all and RTL.... 
    They we both trying to be Schenker