Unpopular Opinion? Megadeth>>>>Metallica

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    To be honest, at the time RIP I came out I saw them more as a safe rock band.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    In fairness Dave´s solos are nowhere near as bad as Kerry King´s. Whammy bar delight! What I find very cheesey about Megadeth songs are the sound samples they put into certain tracks over the years, of someone talking, or a door closing etc... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    First 4 Slayer Albums > First 3 Metallica Albums > First 4 Megadeth albums. Anything after 1990 for any of these bands is completely shit
    Seasons in the Abyss was excellent!

I really like God Hates Us All too.

No love for Rust in Peace?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    thegummy said:
    I've only got one Megadeath album and it's in a similar strict thrash metal vein to the earlier Metallica albums.

Did Megadeath go on to make more "songful" material like Metallica on the black album onwards? Or did they stay strictly thrash metal?

If they did I'll need to check it out as I prefer the Metallica stuff that metal purists might call pop music. I do love the earlier stuff too though.
    "Risk" and "The World Needs a Hero" were both an attempt to be more commercial.

Neither was very good, and they didn't really understand that as good a guitarist as Mustaine is, he cannot sing.
    And I'm a fan. But he can't.

The newest one - Dystopia - is pretty good.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    RobDavies said:
    Bidley said:
    Firstly Dave has always played lots of the lead stuff on Megadeth songs.

I know - it's mostly tuneless widdle for the sake of widdle.

And thirdly some of those very iconic solos have been Dave playing. 

Mustaine is a very important figure in the metal and guitar world, for me. He's written some classic stuff. But his solos are pants.
    Except for all the solos he wrote that Kirk played on Kill em all and RTL.... 
    Common misconception - if you listen to the bootlegs of Metallica with Dave, you can hear Dave playing completely different solos, minus the melody that Kirk had. Kirk wrote his own solos. I mean, Dave has never played anything remotely similar to the solos in - say - Creeping Death or No Remorse, so it makes sense.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    First 4 Slayer Albums > First 3 Metallica Albums > First 4 Megadeth albums. Anything after 1990 for any of these bands is completely shit
    Seasons in the Abyss was excellent!

I really like God Hates Us All too.

No love for Rust in Peace?
    Seasons was alright I suppose, about 3 really good tracks - but compared to the first 3 out of this world albums though it was pretty awful - almost like a band doing a pastiche of Slayer. I have to say God Hates Us All was, in my opinion, dreadful - really turgid and unexciting - the lyrics especially are awful - probably their worst album. Rust in Peace(released 1990) was amazing - a completely brilliant album - but Peace Sells was the frist 'thrash' album I ever bought, so my heart will awlays lie with that.  
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited June 2019
    Metallica edge it, though i like both bands. i think their rivalry was good for both parties as they pushed eachother to release some grand spankingly great albums. 
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22894
    beed84 said:
    Thanks, I enjoyed the bit about Death Magnetic.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    The System Has Failed is a criminally underrated Megadeth album, btw. Kick The Chair is riff-tastic and Truth Be Told is a brilliant bit of songwriting. Better than anything Metallica (and Megadeth themselves, tbh) did post-2000.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Bidley said:
    The System Has Failed is a criminally underrated Megadeth album, btw. Kick The Chair is riff-tastic and Truth Be Told is a brilliant bit of songwriting. Better than anything Metallica (and Megadeth themselves, tbh) did post-2000.
    Agreed! System has failed is one of my favourite MD albums :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22894
    LuttiS said:
    Bidley said:
    @Bidley inspired me to listen to it the other day, first time I've played it for years.  It is a good one.  Wasn't it originally going to be a Mustaine solo album?
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    What I find very cheesey about Megadeth songs are the sound samples they put into certain tracks over the years, of someone talking, or a door closing etc... 

This is right up your street then!

Seriously: What can't improved by adding more cockerel? Cocker is like bacon!

The System Has Failed:

Vinnie Cool-at-cha once again showing that, yes, he really can play on anything, muthafuckaz!

Poland back in da house doing what only he can do. (Though I suppose Marty pips it with me, and Kiko really is excellent.)

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Philly_Q said:
    LuttiS said:
    Bidley said:
    @Bidley inspired me to listen to it the other day, first time I've played it for years.  It is a good one.  Wasn't it originally going to be a Mustaine solo album?
    Yeah, i think it was but had to do it under megadeth contract..

wikipedia - Originally intended to be a solo album by Mustaine, the record was re-branded with the Megadeth name as a result of contractual obligations owed to Mustaine's publishing company

also 

To date, it is the only Megadeth album where the only certified member of the band was Mustaine. As a result, it is occasionally referred to as a Mustaine solo album.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    beed84 said:

Thanks, that was good.

Liked this reference:

https://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/d/d0/Snarl_guardian_victory.jpg

Anyone who doesn't want this thread to ever end can log onto Metalguitarist.org :) \m/