Please recommend me some heavy music

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5005
    Brilliant album and in bad need of a remix or remaster so we can hear the bass and low end properly! The one after that, while not heavy is pretty good too, The Art of Rebellion.
    I had a listen to Art again a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty poor. 

How Will I Laugh Tomorrow was their high point. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    Reverend said:
    Brilliant album and in bad need of a remix or remaster so we can hear the bass and low end properly! The one after that, while not heavy is pretty good too, The Art of Rebellion.

Well, it´s not a fast album I suppose, but I think it´s good overall. Must check out some of their older stuff again. Possessed to Skate!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    Has anyone mentioned Gallows yet? 
    Grey Britain is one of the most vitriolic albums I've ever heard- Frank Carter is a ball of rage throughout. 
    Think Sex Pistols with Sabbath riffs. 

MrsLostSon HATES it, which is a ringing endorsement in my book. 
    Wiz'd - Grey Britain, Orchestra of Wolves and the first Rattlesnakes album are awesome. Not into the new Rattlesnakes stuff at all, it's just too flat and safe sounding for my liking. I guess Frank can't be angry forever!
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I was a huge fan of the first two Gallows records. Saw them play many times with the original lineup (was actually at the Grey Britain gig they did with the string quartet or whatever it was years ago). Loved the first Rattlesnakes album. Loved half of the second one. Not heard the latest. I actually think the Pure Love record (apart from the single which sounded like the Darkness) is really good if you like anthemic rock. They were a total blast to see live. 

I think I’ve probably been paying more attention to heavy music than I realised. I seem to have dropped down a “technical metal” rabbit hole and am really enjoying some modern stuff I thought I’d never like, like Gojira and Architects. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    edited June 2019
    If you go down the Slint Spiderland rabbit hole on YouTube, you´ll find loads of recommendations of similar heavy music. Fugazi, Failure, Hum, Polvo, Jesus Lizard etc
    Depends if you want fast heavy music, or heavy music, but with slower drums..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Maybe also check out Electric Wizard, especially Dopethrone.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    Reverend said:

I don't know too much about them to be honest, I just remember being blown away by R.T's Bass playing in that track. I don't think I'd heard anything funky mixed with Trash/Crossover at the time.

It feels quite weird now that I saw bands like Nuclear Assault at Sheffield Uni "Lower Refectory" as it was known back then. I'm sure another hardcore band played there around that time in 1988 ish, might have been Kreator, but can't be sure. At that time me and my mates back then was all about that scene. I wish I remembered everything I'd seen.

Saw Macc Lads at The Limit in 1988 too haha! :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17645
    tFB Trader
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Supultura
    Alter Bridge

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Took my son horse riding today - if you live in the Chelmsford countryside I can only apologise as I fucking *blasted* Old Man Gloom in my car on the way there. My son approved! 
    Sepultura: Chaos AD *blasted* on the way back.

Just cooked dinner - *blasted* Panopticon by Isis. 

Still got so many bands and albums to work my way through. Thoroughly enjoying it. My wife thinks I’ve gone nuts. Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Try some Threshold and Pagan's Mind.
    Not a new band but I just discovered Mutoid Man and loving it. It's kinda stoner rock with techy elements and great clean vocals that aren't cheesy or wimpy sounding.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    Yeah Mutoid Man are fucking class. Steve Brodsky is a master - great guitarist, great singer and knows how to write a song, be it an eight minute prog rollercoaster or short three minute catchy number.
    '68 - massive 2pc band

• goatgoat Frets: 98
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    Sixteen Tons
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Sixteen Tons
    That DOES sound pretty heavy. ;-)

• Nobody has mentioned TESTAMENT and I can't understand why. Check out their "Formation of Damnation" album. It's a cracker. It's sort of conceptual, in that its lyrical content is largely about war, post-9/11. If you've got Megadeth & Metallica, Testament are a great next step.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4190
    Sacred reich, anthrax, annihalator, municipal waste, nuclear assault, testament ,stormtroopers of death, slayer, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4190
    Children of Bodom, dark tranquility , wintersun, skyfire, insomnium
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5005
    Sacred reich, anthrax, annihalator, municipal waste, nuclear assault, testament ,stormtroopers of death, slayer, 
    Children of Bodom, dark tranquility , wintersun, skyfire, insomnium
    From the sublime to...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom