Tom Anderson guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    The best ‘posh’ Strats (& Teles) available in my view - significantly better than Suhr based on the samples I’ve played. If ‘vintage’ is what you’re after, they’re not a good choice - but if your preferences are towards ‘modern’ with all the idiosyncrasies ironed out, there’s nothing better.  
    Lol I’m not even sure what vintage and modern sound like :)
    Not just sound - by ‘vintage’ I meant neck profiles, tighter fingerboard radii, smallish frets, 6 screw trems, Kluson style tuners, low-output pick-up, traditional colours, etc.

’Modern’ for me means flatter fingerboards, bigger frets, sealed/locking tuners, higher output/more mid-range focussed pick-ups, sculpted neck joints, two-point trems, etc.
    Ah yes then I’m definitely in the modern park area too then 
    But but but but but..... you like bigsbys too???  :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited June 2019
    The best ‘posh’ Strats (& Teles) available in my view - significantly better than Suhr based on the samples I’ve played. If ‘vintage’ is what you’re after, they’re not a good choice - but if your preferences are towards ‘modern’ with all the idiosyncrasies ironed out, there’s nothing better.  
    Lol I’m not even sure what vintage and modern sound like
    Not just sound - by ‘vintage’ I meant neck profiles, tighter fingerboard radii, smallish frets, 6 screw trems, Kluson style tuners, low-output pick-up, traditional colours, etc.

’Modern’ for me means flatter fingerboards, bigger frets, sealed/locking tuners, higher output/more mid-range focussed pick-ups, sculpted neck joints, two-point trems, etc.
    Ah yes then I’m definitely in the modern park area too then 
    But but but but but..... you like bigsbys too???  o
    I’m going off em tbh. For the odd warble I’d want it for it’s a lot of faff and expense 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    I’ve had three or four Atoms plus a drop top or two over the years.  Superbly well made and Tom Anderson’s after service care is amazing.  I’ve emailed him a few times and he is quick and really helpful.  Even sent me a pickup free of charge when one of mine died (on an older second hand Atom).  
    Treewig1 said:
    I’ve had three or four Atoms plus a drop top or two over the years.  Superbly well made and Tom Anderson’s after service care is amazing.  I’ve emailed him a few times and he is quick and really helpful.  Even sent me a pickup free of charge when one of mine died (on an older second hand Atom).  
    Is it a uk company? I’m presuming American I don’t know why 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    Yes American
    Much better than Suhr in my opinion but they do insist on using a neck shape that is just too skinny
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    Yes American
    Much better than Suhr in my opinion but they do insist on using a neck shape that is just too skinny
    I'v read that the neck is quite chunky? Well in the youtube demos of them i.e. T Icon one at least
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    I use to sell new Tom Anderson Guitars until about 5 years ago - I think in the UK that only Peach + World Guitars sell new models today - Effectively you can pick + spec many options to suit - pick-ups, frets size and neck profile for starters - WG have some guitars in stock, to buy, but you can use these as a template to create your own order as required

As others have said above - Phenomenal build quality and a great after sales service if ever required

Agree with @richardhomer 's earlier comments that a Anderson is more 'modern' than a vintage spec'd Custom Shop style Strat - That doesn't mean better/worse, just which you prefer - Generally a Tom Anderson can deliver a more slick play/action, but there is a tendency for a more 'pure' tone - I don't like the phrase cinical' - But it is more pure - More choir boy sounding than Paul Rodgers - again a matter of taste

Epsilon said:
    They seemed to be head to head with Suhr until around 10 years ago, then Suhr seemed to really take off and leave TA behind. I've only played one and it was excellent.
    This was more about the direction both companies wanted to move towards - Tom has always been happy about a small workshop format - There was talk about 5-8 years ago of Tom going back to a one man business, but he decided to stay as was - Suhr were always looking to becoming a larger company and increasing sales etc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Ive had 2 for about the last 19 and 20 years respectivly ... one is the more vintage looking /sounding feeling but is hollow swamp ash with a small v profile the other is toms fave wood combination flame maple on basswood Hss and has .30 slightly bigger neck than standard ... they have both served me exceptionally well in this time in session dates and live  ( packed it all in 10yrs ago )  they both sound completly different .... dont hesitate they are ace  ! ....

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3324
    IMHO, probably the finest, top end superstrats out there and I've had Suhrs, Schecter Custom Shop and others.

I had a SSH Drop Top in the 90s that served me so well and covered all bases - it was a cut above the rest and it's the only guitar I regret selling.
    Kebabkid said:
    IMHO, probably the finest, top end superstrats out there and I've had Suhrs, Schecter Custom Shop and others.

I had a SSH Drop Top in the 90s that served me so well and covered all bases - it was a cut above the rest and it's the only guitar I regret selling.
    Wow that’s saying something. I’d better get saving. It feels I’m forever saving but I’m spending along the way too :( One step forward, 2 steps back springs to mind
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    @guitars4you Have a wiz sir. Summed it all up. Hope you're well.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    @guitars4you Have a wiz sir. Summed it all up. Hope you're well.
    cheers - Hope you are well, busy and still enjoying those nice guitars
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11967
    Amazing guitars. I've had 2, both were brilliant

I'd say that TA and Suhr were friendly competitors making the same quality of instruments. I've heard surprising tales of them sending demo guitars to each other's premises to enable a customer to compare the two

I sold my HSS because I insist on hum-cancelling, and I didn't like the sound of the TA-made hum-cancelling pickups, and because it was such a wonderful instrument I didn't want to change the pickups, so I sold it on (also I am moving towards fixed-bridges)

Both TA and Suhr make hollow bodies (i.e. with a hidden chamber). These add a wonderful extra element to acoustic feedback at lower volumes, everyone should try one of these.

There are many refinements from both makers

I kept my Cobra with HH seymour duncans, and my Suhr standard HH - which has exceptionally good Suhr pickups 
    Nevertheless I like playing the cobra more, it feels more played-in, and I like the low-output SDs in it

I'd take a TA or a Suhr over a Fender custom-shop strat (less need to worry about fakes too)
    Used prices are a giveaway in the UK
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    What would be a good used price for a TA t icon for example @ToneControl if you’ve noticed any going for sale in the past ?
    What would be a good used price for a TA t icon for example @ToneControl if you’ve noticed any going for sale in the past ?
    most Suhr and TA guitars can be found around half the new price if you can be patient
    most Suhr and TA guitars can be found around half the new price if you can be patient
    Around 2k and a bit then. Hmmmm could be tempted but still a bit more than I wanted to pay but you never know :) 
    edited June 2019
    Around 2k and a bit then. Hmmmm could be tempted but still a bit more than I wanted to pay but you never know  
    is it a newer model?
    harder to get second-hand sales of newish models from any manufacturer

I just put an automatic  search on ebay and see what comes up over a year
    If that Suhr satin that’s going in the classifieds had been single coils I might’ve been interested in that one. I love satin finishes 
    Around 2k and a bit then. Hmmmm could be tempted but still a bit more than I wanted to pay but you never know  
    is it a newer model?
    harder to get second-hand sales of newish models from any manufacturer

I just put an automatic  search on ebay and see what comes up over a year
    I think that model has been in his line up for a while I believe ?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    My Anderson will be 20 this coming November.  I bought it early 2000 from Sounds Great near Manchester.  An exceptionally well built instrument, it remains a joy to play.  In all honesty it is too good a guitar for my skill level but I don't care.  I play it several times a week and it always impresses me.  If you ever try one and it speaks your language, be prepared to buy it as the withdrawal symptoms are very severe......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum