Tom Anderson guitars

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Rocker said:
    My Anderson will be 20 this coming November.  I bought it early 2000 from Sounds Great near Manchester.  An exceptionally well built instrument, it remains a joy to play.  In all honesty it is too good a guitar for my skill level but I don't care.  I play it several times a week and it always impresses me.  If you ever try one and it speaks your language, be prepared to buy it as the withdrawal symptoms are very severe......
    Which one did you go fiord @Rocker ;
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    If that Suhr satin that’s going in the classifieds had been single coils I might’ve been interested in that one. I love satin finishes 
    According to the spec sheet of said instrument the pickups are an SSH and SSV in the neck. In which case the split coil sounds (positions 2 and 4 on the switch) will be very good. Best of both worlds in my book.
    simonk said:
    If that Suhr satin that’s going in the classifieds had been single coils I might’ve been interested in that one. I love satin finishes 
    According to the spec sheet of said instrument the pickups are an SSH and SSV in the neck. In which case the split coil sounds (positions 2 and 4 on the switch) will be very good. Best of both worlds in my book.
    Hmmm I’m not sure. I haven’t played a guitar yet that enables me to spilt coils and actually sounds like a strat / tele yet :(
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Rocker said:
    My Anderson will be 20 this coming November.  I bought it early 2000 from Sounds Great near Manchester.  An exceptionally well built instrument, it remains a joy to play.  In all honesty it is too good a guitar for my skill level but I don't care.  I play it several times a week and it always impresses me.  If you ever try one and it speaks your language, be prepared to buy it as the withdrawal symptoms are very severe......
    If you check the Anderson website/support, the serial number search will give you the spec of my guitar.  S/n 12-11-99p
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    A big attraction for me with the TAs is that they make Fender style guitars with Gibson scale. length, which I much prefer.

I have a short Classic.  It's the Strat I take to gigs now, leaving my much loved Suhrs at home.  I worried the scale length would make it sound less Stratty, but it sounds great.

I always have an eye out for other TAs that might have specs that suit me (Tele, Cobra, Raven) but they are rare.  The shorties are less common and even if one comes up there's usually something (aesthetics, fret wire size, or unrealistic price) that's a deal breaker for me.

I live in hope though.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11966
    simonk said:
    Hmmm I’m not sure. I haven’t played a guitar yet that enables me to spilt coils and actually sounds like a strat / tele yet :(
    My twin HB Suhr standard sounds extremely close to a strat in the neck single coil position, closest I have ever heard from a split HB
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11966
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    If you check the Anderson website/support, the serial number search will give you the spec of my guitar.  S/n 12-11-99p
    mine was 05-28-01A
    also a hollow drop top, same spec as yours
    Pickups - SA1R SA1 H2+ 
    Switching -
     5 Way, Mini Splits 1-4, Pull Adds Bridge, Vintage Voicing 

As I said, I loved it, but happier with fixed bridge and picking my own pickups
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 91
    I play a Bulldog. It is top notch.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Love my Tom Anderson Hollow Body Drop Top - I suppose it could be called a Super Strat, but to me it's far more advanced that any Strat, sure it's a similar body shape, but that's as far as it goes.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    I had a hollow drop top that became @Treewig1 ‘s.

I bought it on my quest to find a strat style I liked. It was the best of the lot, I gigged it and finally conceded I like humbuckers and Gibson scale length. Every strat type I’ve attempted to bond with since has been underwhelming in comparison.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 444
    I had a Classic S a few years ago and it was a nice guitar. The body was extremely light and although modelled on a Strat it was like the rough edges had been smoothed away. Fretboard radius was quite flat so slightly different playing feel to a Strat but ultimately it didn't do anything any better than the deluxe Strat I had at the time and cost me double used ( £1100 ) so I didn't keep it long. Nice but nothing remarkable.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3302
    Is it a uk company? I’m presuming American I don’t know why 
     A UK company in this league would be the current incarnation of Patrick Eggle guitars
    edited June 2019
     A UK company in this league would be the current incarnation of Patrick Eggle guitars
    Yes I’ve been looking st his guitars which are rather lovely too. I think I’m bitten with those now too. I never seem to have  enough money it seems Gotta sell that Les Paul of mine soon 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3302
    Yes I’ve been looking st his guitars which are rather lovely too. I think I’m bitten with those now too. I never seem to have  enough money it seems Gotta sell that Les Paul of mine soon 
    I’ve got a ‘96’ in the black, open grained swamp ash...a flawless instrument. If I needed a tele, I’d get an ‘Oz’ in a heartbeat.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3323
    This one was up on sale in the Classifieds several years ago and the seller made a fantastic demo (I think  he used to make demos for Coda)

This should give you an idea of the sounds

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I am lucky enough to have a few of the new Eggles. Peerless in my humble opinion. 
    Nice chap too!