Shock from amp...after being unplugged

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18819
    Context is everything  :) :3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    just make sure you bridge your finger across the pins at EXACTLY the same time, so the caps discharge through your finger to earth, and not through your body. finger will be tingly and you can do an ET impression as it glows....
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10237
    edited June 2019
    And what about the part you plug the cord into?

I’m just wondering if I need to hide the amp away because of my young son. 

It’s a Carol-Ann Tucana 3r head. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18819
    edited June 2019
    ^ If you are concerned about safety, you could try getting one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IEC-FEMALE-CONNECTOR-MAINS-POWER-PLUG-DISCO-LIGHTS/300341410892?epid=1853209606&hash=item45edbe3c4c:g:AgkAAOSww3tY3N3o

It works to blank the pins off from accidental contact with fingers.
    It isn't tamperproof, but it is a cost effective way to ease your mind.

Edit: Obviously it isn't wired up to anything  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410

It's unlikely to have that sort of filter on the input - I've only worked on one Carol-Ann and I can't remember, but most valve amps don't have them. Test it yourself - it won't kill you, and it won't hurt *that* much if you're ready for it - and if you don't feel anything it's safe to leave it out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2019
    I tried it on both ends and I’m alive!!!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I tried it on my katana just to see. Nothing. But its not valve so I'm not surprised haha. 

Kinda puts me off going valve/tube though a little even though it seems not exactly dangerous.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    skunkwerx said:
    I tried it on my katana just to see. Nothing. But its not valve so I'm not surprised haha. 

Kinda puts me off going valve/tube though a little even though it seems not exactly dangerous.. 
    No... other way round. This kind of filter/spike suppressor is more common in modern solid-state amps than valve ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    ICBM said:
    skunkwerx said:

No... other way round. This kind of filter/spike suppressor is more common in modern solid-state amps than valve ones.
    Ah interesting! In that case glad I didnt get a shock haha! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I can't remember which amp I had back in the day that did this - but I used to unplug it and touch the pins onto a radiator or similar to discharge it before packing it up post gig. Used to get quite a spark sometimes!! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i discovered this many years ago but not from an amp, but some other electrical equipment, cant remember what it was. but since then ive always been wary of touching connected 3 pin plugs.  
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    ICBM said:

It's unlikely to have that sort of filter on the input - I've only worked on one Carol-Ann and I can't remember, but most valve amps don't have them. Test it yourself - it won't kill you, and it won't hurt *that* much if you're ready for it - and if you don't feel anything it's safe to leave it out.
    Blimey I won’t even lick the end of a battery these days !

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I just got a wee shock from my hoover. Was tiny.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    Quite a nasty shock could be had from a crt TV. If you had a sweaty T shirt on and had the screen on your belly then touched the aerial socket. Obviously the set had to have been working a while before. Nearly dropped the fekker!

Dave.

• danodano Frets: 1593
    It's poor design in the mains suppression filter.  Any decent designer would fit  a bleed resistor approx 100k across the L-N to drain the  capacitor that's giving the shock.

dano said:
    It's poor design in the mains suppression filter.  Any decent designer would fit  a bleed resistor approx 100k across the L-N to drain the  capacitor that's giving the shock.
    The problem with that would be the necessary 1W resistor for the over .5W dissipation and the associated heating. It doesn’t sound like a lot but inside an enclosed filter module it could be.

It would be much better simply to have any filtering on the equipment side of the power switch.

I just got a power amp to use with my Kemper Stage. 

I stopped using it, unplugged it and got a shock from the pins. 

I then remembered this thread. 

I checked, and yep. I got the same power amp as the OP. The Powerstage 170. 

I checked, and I wasn’t able to get a shock from the amp end, but if it was still connected I would get one from the plug end. 

Darwin awards all round?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26625

Darwin awards all round?
    Honourable Mentions, I think, on the basis that we're still breathing.

Bet it sounded great before you shocked yourself though, right? ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019

Darwin awards all round?

Bet it sounded great before you shocked yourself though, right?
    Well, it still sounds good. My hand is just tingling now so whether or not I will sound good, is a different matter. 

I guess just unplug from the unit first, and that’ll be the safety precaution. Or chase my band mates around the rehearsal room with my new cattle prod?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26625

Darwin awards all round?

Bet it sounded great before you shocked yourself though, right?
    Well, it still sounds good. My hand is just tingling now so whether or not I will sound good, is a different matter. 

I guess just unplug from the unit first, and that’ll be the safety precaution. Or chase my band mates around the rehearsal room with my new cattle prod?
    Actually, the best option is to switch off at the mains first (ie before switching off on the unit). Leave it a second or two and then unplug from the mains, and you're good to go. Just remember to make sure the unit's switch is off before you plug it in next time.

I've got into that habit, and no shocks thus far.
    <space for hire>