What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    jpfamps said:
    @RiftAmps said:
    ICBM said:
     It is a rather remarkable oversight in the regulations though.
    @jpfamps do you know if the new regs are addressing this?
    I've not looked at that part of the regs as I've not been involved with approvals of a mains powered product under the new regs.

Other than the cap has to be Class-X, I'm not sure what other requirements will be.

Getting products through EMC approvals, especially class D amps, is now getting be a real pain, especially if you are aiming to trade in mulitple territories.

I expect as Dave says adding a bleeder resistor to the mains side may not be a cure either as you would not know if the resistor had gone open circuit and assume it was "safe".
      The Low Voltage Directive says "Measures of a technical nature shall be laid down in to ensure that: temperatures, arcs or radiation which would cause a danger, are not produced"

If the manufacturer is aware of the issue they hopefully have deemed the shock to not be a danger to person or pet, if not then they could find themselves up sh!t creek.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    dano said:
    It's poor design in the mains suppression filter.  Any decent designer would fit  a bleed resistor approx 100k across the L-N to drain the  capacitor that's giving the shock.
    The problem with that would be the necessary 1W resistor for the over .5W dissipation and the associated heating. It doesn’t sound like a lot but inside an enclosed filter module it could be.

It would be much better simply to have any filtering on the equipment side of the power switch.
    It would also need to be a type with relevant approvals for connection across mains voltages, ie it should only ever fail open circuit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967
    Do the express boogies suffer from this shock thingy?
    tae be or not tae be
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10237
    Hootsmon said:
    Do the express boogies suffer from this shock thingy?
    Is it solid state? To be fair, it's not that bad...