Brands that are a serious rival to Gibson CS LP?

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    So what brands/ models from the competition can really match Gibson’s custom shop Les Pauls R8,R9?

Fancy another Les Paul and already have 5 Gibson’s so looking to try the competition and get more bang for my buck
    I'd say look at whoever Gibson is sueing, and buy their stuff.

Gibson obviously think it's easier to sue them than fix their QC, so they are probably better value to buy from as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    SX ,GFS,Chibson ,Vintage ...............Hondo,Avon ..the list is endless.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8796
    In all seriousness, +1 for @FelineGuitars ...  Jon's Slash Derrig inspired job I had is the only guitar I bitterly regret selling on, and there have been a lot of 'em. 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If It's MIJ you're after then Navigator, Greco, Momose, Tokai, Burny, Bacchus, Crews are good brands to look out for.

Some are more well known than others and each have their good periods but the general consensus is that if you buy the right model it will not only be a serious contender but could even be a good investment. This whole Gibson debacle will only add to these being a serious alternative.

Most of these brands offer models which have the same features as an R9, Binding, fret nibs, long tenons, sold maple tops, nitro finish, Brazilian boards etc and were meticulously hand made.

Other alternative as mentioned above is to sell what you have and go all in for a Yaron, Never heard a bad word about his LP's. Or alternatively look at some great UK builders from this site.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4284
    edited June 2019
    McInturff Carolina. Prob £4K to £5k new, but maybe some used ones about nearer the mark. Mine absolutely smashes the historics I have owned or played. Not even close. 

The Bartlett non replica ones look amazing, but never seen anything remotely reasonably priced, even used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Of the stuff I’ve actually spent time with.

PRS,Feline = Yes 
    Maybach = The finish was nice but the two I’ve played didn’t really do it for me. I couldn’t put my finger on it. But they felt insubstantial? 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3993
    I was really impressed by the Eastman SB59/V. I tried two in Sounds Great and they were both really nice.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    Some of the stuff Patrick Eggle is making is absolutely stunning.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Make your own with Crimson maybe?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5450
    I’m a fan of Knaggs, but you’d definitely be looking second-hand at those prices. 

The SSC is the most Gibby-like, the Kenais are a little “brighter” for want of a better word. The custom bridge preserves more harmonics - a bit like an older PRS SC I guess but someone more organic-sounding to my ears. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm yet to play anything that feels as nice to play as my R8. I hate saying that because Gibson have made me a little bit sick in my mouth over the last week or so, pricks.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Slight bias but I would take one of @Danielsguitars builds over anything gibson put out currently... excuse my shonky playing chaps!!!!

https://youtu.be/-ojrKWyUuG8

played both bursts extensively and can honestly say they piss all over anything I’ve played by Gibson... 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Just gonna mention Feline again. Awesome guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Heritage or...... Feline, which has already been mentioned. I had Greco MC, which was amazing buy at the time, but as good as my historic R7. probably not, but I spend ages to find a good one. I'd check out that Feline already mentioned
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7132
    KDS said:
    Heritage or...... Feline, which has already been mentioned. I had Greco MC, which was amazing buy at the time, but as good as my historic R7. probably not, but I spend ages to find a good one. I'd check out that Feline already mentioned
    I'd love a good R7
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I can't get past how good the Tokai's I've played are - they do make me want to buy one and I'm not a Les Paul lover 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    An ESP? I take it you’re a big fan of LPs if you have five of the same guitar already 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited June 2019
    80s Grecos (not necessarily just the high end models, by the way), Navigators, Crews KTR and LED models, Fullertone.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11970
    I would have thought that in the second hand market the depreciation rates have an additional effect.
    I'm assuming that Gibson guitars don't depreciate as much as boutique guitars, therefore making more expensive (RRP) boutique guitars available for the same price as Gibsons
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Vintage (Trev Wilkinson)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom