Brands that are a serious rival to Gibson CS LP?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24585
    ESP Custom Shop.

Amazing things. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited June 2019
    This Eastman SB59 (I think this one is the vintage 'V' version) looks very impressive - well worth watching & listening to as the guy definitely seems to know what to look for - 100% handmade, solid mahogany body, no weight relief and guaranteed to weigh no more than 7.9lbs, superb build quality, top quality electrics/hardware. Not sure about the price but it's under £2k I think.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    So you have 5 Gibson Les Pauls already? Are they not good enough?
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes I have 5 but there’s always room for more. I also have 4 strats too and an Ibanez acoustic  

The Les paul models I have aren’t 5 standards or the same model, they’re all completely different models from R8 to BFG and CS Axcess so all offer something completely different with the Les Paul theme
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Yes I have 5 but there’s always room for more. I also have 4 strats too and an Ibanez acoustic  

The Les paul models I have aren’t 5 standards or the same model, they’re all completely different models from R8 to BFG and CS Axcess so all offer something completely different with the Les Paul theme
    No need to justify it mate. If you want it then knock yourself out. :) 

Then once your out cold, start dreaming about the 7th ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    terada said:
    Yes I have 5 but there’s always room for more. I also have 4 strats too and an Ibanez acoustic  

No need to justify it mate. If you want it then knock yourself out. :) 

Then once your out cold, start dreaming about the 7th ;)
    Yeah to be fair I wasn’t criticising, just interested. Was talking to the Mrs about having more than one of the same guitar. I’d possibly have another explorer but there’s so much else out there I haven’t tried it seems odd to me to buy the same guitar again. She didn’t seem bothered what I do so that’s a plus I suppose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    There are some amazing budget-conscious boutique models on ebay,  Quincy and Shine for example.
  • Voxman said:
    This Eastman SB59 (I think this one is the vintage 'V' version) looks very impressive - well worth watching & listening to as the guy definitely seems to know what to look for - 100% handmade, solid mahogany body, no weight relief and guaranteed to weigh no more than 7.9lbs, superb build quality, top quality electrics/hardware. Not sure about the price but it's under £2k I think.

Just had a look on Peach, and although beautiful guitars, none that I looked at came in below 8.1lbs - which is still light though :-) But the 7.9lbs guarantee thing...?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6218
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Ibanez Law suit. I know this because Mark Agassi said so.
    what does André's brother know about guitars? surely he's a tennis expert.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:

Just had a look on Peach, and although beautiful guitars, none that I looked at came in below 8.1lbs - which is still light though :-) But the 7.9lbs guarantee thing...?
    Not sure what wood they're using but getting lightweight les paul with good mahogany that light is bloody impossible for me, a full thickness carved top is over 1lb, be interesting to find out
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    Danielsguitars said:

Not sure what wood they're using but getting lightweight les paul with good mahogany that light is bloody impossible for me, a full thickness carved top is over 1lb, be interesting to find out
    Balsa?

:)

That's not a joke and would be an excellent choice for weight-reducing inserts - Gibson themselves tried it, but they stupidly called it "Chromyte" (based on the biological name for balsa) which made it sound like some sort of synthetic product. They should have just called it 'lightweight hardwood'... because that's exactly what balsa is, not a softwood.

Otherwise it's pretty hard to get a decent Les Paul much under 8lbs unless you either chamber it or use the sort of soft fibrous crap 'mahogany' found in many Chibsons.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Danielsguitars said:

Balsa?

:)

That's not a joke and would be an excellent choice for weight-reducing inserts - Gibson themselves tried it, but they stupidly called it "Chromyte" (based on the biological name for balsa) which made it sound like some sort of synthetic product. They should have just called it 'lightweight hardwood'... because that's exactly what balsa is, not a softwood.

Otherwise it's pretty hard to get a decent Les Paul much under 8lbs unless you either chamber it or use the sort of soft fibrous crap 'mahogany' found in many Chibsons.
    Sepele sounds great and plentiful but too heavy so some lightweight wood to fill a chambered body is a good idea, I'll have to try it one day, good lightweight wood is getting very hard to find now
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543

Didn't Parker use a balsa body, shelled in reinforced CF/glass fibre/plastic (or somesuch product)?
    One of these days I must weigh some of my guitars, namely the padauk home-build, the LP Custom (mid 80's, but still fairly heavy!) and the Ryder for comparison. Ive never been particularly interested in the weight, and it's not a spec I would ever look at, but it would be interesting to know.

Adam

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    edited June 2019
    More than welcome to try my Ryder Les Paul if you want to compare it to yours

https://i.imgur.com/2pGeICC.jpg
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11914
    I personally love the PRS SC58, I would never sell it.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited June 2019
    Voxman said:

Not sure how they did it, but my r9 is pretty light and all solid. I’ve had the pickups out and they’ve not lied about the thickness of the top etc. 

That said I’ve never seen another that light without chambering. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11914
    terada said:
    Voxman said:

Not sure how they did it, but my r9 is pretty light and all solid. I’ve had the pickups out and they’ve not lied about the thickness of the top etc. 

That said I’ve never seen another that light without chambering. 

Close but no cigar !

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    [Gibson]

A lot of brands mentioned here aren't authentic.

Play authentic, or we will cut your fucking dicks off and shove it down your throats...

[/Gibson]
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • If you want a les Paul with a difference, I played a really nice Les Paul raw power - they came in solid, febder-esque colours and we're made of maple!

Sounds extremely heavy but the one I played was balanced (not light as such, but very balanced and comfy) and they were pretty affordable if I remember rightly. I think they used a thinner body but still had the full fat les Paul hardware (which tbf is the easy bit).