Gig bags question

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4993
Would the same gig bag be safe/big enough to carry a Strat or a Tele or a Les Paul?  Lack of space prevents getting a second gig bag. Thanks 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    I've got a couple of PRS gig bags which I use for everything.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 683
    Almost certainly big enough. Imo a les paul is never safe unless its in a decent hardcase. Ive had three gibson neck breaks, two of them in decent padded gig bags.
  • Standard gig bags are fine for Strat/Tele/LP/SGs etc. Be warned though, I'd assumed a Jazzmaster shape would fit too, but alas I had to fork out for a bass gig bag to fit the extra length of a JM. Annoying! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    ftumch said:
    Almost certainly big enough. Imo a les paul is never safe unless its in a decent hardcase. Ive had three gibson neck breaks, two of them in decent padded gig bags.
    Padded is not enough for a Les Paul, you need a neck support at the minimum. I wouldn't carry a 'good' Les Paul in anything less strong than a Mono or Fusion at all, and even then I'm not sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7548
    ICBM said:
    ftumch said:
    Padded is not enough for a Les Paul, you need a neck support at the minimum. I wouldn't carry a 'good' Les Paul in anything less strong than a Mono or Fusion at all, and even then I'm not sure.
    Having used a Mono Vertigo for some time with a PRS and a Les Paul (on those occasions I bag was more convenient) I think as far as whiplash protection goes it's as good as a case - I'm always a bit twitchy about it getting stood on or an amp.out on top of it in a car/van - just the lackmof a rigid outer skin.

But for headstock break from getting dropped/clonked I can't see that it's any more risk than in the case a LP comes in. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    TimmyO said:

Having used a Mono Vertigo for some time with a PRS and a Les Paul (on those occasions I bag was more convenient) I think as far as whiplash protection goes it's as good as a case - I'm always a bit twitchy about it getting stood on or an amp.out on top of it in a car/van - just the lackmof a rigid outer skin.

But for headstock break from getting dropped/clonked I can't see that it's any more risk than in the case a LP comes in. 
    I think the headstock end is still slightly more flexible than a hard case, but not much. It's the lack of a fully rigid outer skin as protection against bending that makes the difference - for whiplash protection if it falls over I'm sure the hard case is actually worse, since it will transfer much more of a hard knock to the instrument.

I happily carry my vintage Rickenbacker 4001 around in a Mono Vertigo all the time, and I have no fear about it at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I use the Mono cases all the time for my Les Pauls, Strats, Teles.

To be honest - I feel happier with my old Les Pauls in the Mono than anything, I can also recommend the twin case - I've used that a lot.

They're not cheap, but worth it
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    You can safely carry a Strat or a Tele around in a bin bag.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18971
    Sassafras said:
    You can safely carry a Strat or a Tele around in a bin bag.
    You aren't wrong  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2245713/#Comment_2245713