is Appetite for destruction the greatest debut album ever?

What's Hot

Comments

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    Stuckfast said:
    I don't really buy the idea that AfD was at all revolutionary either. It was a slightly less polished version of what all the poodle-rock bands were already doing. By that point anyone who was serious about heavy music was already listening to Metallica and serious thrash stuff -- the first Metallica album really did change music in a way that AfD never did. I was 16 when AfD came out and all my friends who were into metal were at Donington when they played. They weren't blown away by GnR, more bemused by the appearance of a band that patently was not a metal act.
    Yep, agree with much of that. At that time Metallica were certainly pushing boundaries, the novelty factor with Anthrax was still bloody amusing. However your mates were certainly not typical of the crowd response that day. As I wrote in my earlier post there was a huge hype about GnR at that point which manifested itself in a horrible way. And they were certainly more "metal" than Dave Lee Roth who was also on the bill or Bon Jovi from the year previous. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72786
    soma1975 said:

Ozzy Osbourne is  surely one of the most overrated artists in rock music. Whiny voice shit lyrics and a terrible 'scary metal face'.
    What, and Axl Rose isn't? Whiny voice, shit lyrics - check. Terrible 'scary metal face'? Possibly not, but his shorts more than made up for that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Axl's voice is fine and the idea that Ozzy's is bad baffles me; I think he's one of the best rock singers of all time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6914
    ICBM said:
    soma1975 said:

Ozzy Osbourne is  surely one of the most overrated artists in rock music. Whiny voice shit lyrics and a terrible 'scary metal face'.
    What, and Axl Rose isn't? Whiny voice, shit lyrics - check. Terrible 'scary metal face'? Possibly not, but his shorts more than made up for that...
    I'm no apologist for Axl Rose who is clearly a monumental bellend, but he's certainly a better frontman than Ozzy, and certainly a better lyricist too. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    Axl's voice is fine and the idea that Ozzy's is bad baffles me; I think he's one of the best rock singers of all time.
    Just never liked him and never liked his voice and never liked his stage peformances. War Pigs is a phenomenal song but Faith No More's version is much better. /sacrilege

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23316
    This discussion has turned into a school playground.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    edited July 2019
    Philly_Q said:
    This discussion has turned into a school playground.
    Okay, "You're IT!"**   /runs....

** cue random northerner etc. to say, "round 'ere we call it TAG / thwaity-thumpin'/ llangwyplogin..."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    soma1975 said:
    ICBM said:
    soma1975 said:

I'm no apologist for Axl Rose who is clearly a monumental bellend, but he's certainly a better frontman than Ozzy, and certainly a better lyricist too. 
    I'm a huge Guns n Roses fan but Axl Rose's lyrics are very hit and miss. Slash's major complaint about Sweet Child of Mine is that he wrote an awesome riff and then Axl turned it into the slushiest and cheesiest of love songs with his lyrics....
    edited July 2019
    I get that completely, and yet how many millions around the world sing every word. Just because it doesn't resonate with me personally I can still see that it does for loads. Not sure Mama I'm Coming Home or Iron Man had the same reach...

Re Sweet Child - Slash repeatedly wrote over the years that he was playing a string skipping exercise and it was everyone else that recognised he had the makings of a great song there. 

EDIT: I now find myself in the weird position of being the GnR/Axl champion when I'm really not - and while Slash was a hero when I was young, the story of what went down when he tried to pull my sister at a party made me rethink that.

But AFD is as big and important an album as LZ1 as far as I am concerned.   

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Octafish said:
    ICBM said:
    GnR sound like one of those bands you hear on crap old tv sets in b-movie horror flicks. 
    Worse, you hear them at the end of Interview With The Vampire, which totally ruins the atmosphere of the film. If they'd used the original Stones song it would have been brilliant, but Axl yodelling over it just makes it seem like third-rate schlock.

That and him murdering Knockin' On Heaven's Door are two of the worst covers in recorded history.
    Shouldn't that be 'Knockin' On Heaven's Doorawarr'  , agreed absolutely atrocious.

aye aye aye aye
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7865
    The human race in summary:
    Some people like something, others don't 
    :lol: 

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    cj73 said:
    Octafish said:
    ICBM said:
    GnR sound like one of those bands you hear on crap old tv sets in b-movie horror flicks. 
    Worse, you hear them at the end of Interview With The Vampire, which totally ruins the atmosphere of the film. If they'd used the original Stones song it would have been brilliant, but Axl yodelling over it just makes it seem like third-rate schlock.

That and him murdering Knockin' On Heaven's Door are two of the worst covers in recorded history.
    Shouldn't that be 'Knockin' On Heaven's Doorawarr'  , agreed absolutely atrocious.

aye aye aye aye

Give it some reggae!!!!

Utterly atrocious....

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 414

is Appetite for destruction the greatest debut album ever?

Simple answer, no.  

Van Halen by er.....Van Halen is  (for rock).

No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    soma1975 said:
    Ozzy Osbourne Axl Rose is  surely one of the most overrated artists in rock music. Whiny voice shit lyrics and a terrible 'scary metal face'. 

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    Van Halen I, Led Zep 1, Kill em All
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 56
    George Harrison- All things must pass
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27388
    tsj93 said:
    George Harrison- All things must pass
    Well played :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4922
    edited July 2019
    Anyone mentioned Straight Outta Compton yet? Pretty much defined a style of music for the last 30 years. If we're going on influence outweighing sales. 

Velvet Underground and Nico, very very very influential but, it's shite let's be honest. Like Dylan the best versions of their songs are the covers others did. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Boromedic said:
    Anyone mentioned Straight Outta Compton yet? Pretty much defined a style of music for the last 30 years. If we're going on influence outweighing sales. 

Velvet Underground and Nico, very very very influential but, it's shite let's be honest. Like Dylan the best versions of their songs are the covers others did. 
    NWA definitely influential, though there are quite a few hip-hop albums at least as influential.

But like you say about velvet underground, NWA aren't actually that good to listen to.

I wish someone would tell me why VU is so influential. Like, the first album to feature x.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4922
    thegummy said:
    Boromedic said:

NWA definitely influential, though there are quite a few hip-hop albums at least as influential.

But like you say about velvet underground, NWA aren't actually that good to listen to.

I wish someone would tell me why VU is so influential. Like, the first album to feature x.
    I dunno, I quite like SOC and it's impact at the time must've been something else. I remember my reasonably open minded family members thinking the world was about to end at the time. Sure there are some other really influential hip hop albums out there, but none that got the oldies in a twist as much as NWA. Probably the same impact previous revolutions like rock and roll had to their parents. 

Velvet Underground I have no idea on, I like the REM and Joy Division covers and can hear the influences in my favourite bands. That album is terrible though....

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...