What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    edited July 2019
    This type of widdly widdly playing turns me cold
    Fair enough …
     and sounds shit.
    No, no it doesn't … you don't like it, that is not the same thing, it is an opinion.
    I don't want to sound like that.
    Fair enough.

This is what annoys me about this sort of diatribe.  If you don't like something that is fair enough … we all have tastes.  I am not trying to be controversial here but I can't abide the Beatles … hence I have not commented in the Beatles thread.  Do I think they are shit?  No.  Clearly they are not, I just don't like them.

If you don't like something that's fair enough, but calling it shit … calling someone's work, drive, commitment and passion shit … is just fucking rude.

I know that's a little off topic but it REALLY winds me up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I thought I might actually put the clip in the OP on and find out what was so horrendous.
    It’s not really my thing and there are moments when the backing track gets in the way and it goes on a long time but it’s impressive stuff sure enuff. There really are some miserable old gits on here. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Some of the criticism seems unfair.

We’ve reached the point where electric guitar is being taught to some youngsters in the same way as traditional classical instruments.  And that's inevitable: it may be a relatively new instrument but it's been a successful one and it was never going to remain outside the family of conventional instruments forever.

Part of the culture is to develop technique to the point where the student can play the repertoire at very high levels of technical difficulty. They showcase that by performing technically challenging pieces. That seems to be what’s happening here.

You can't achieve what she wants to achieve by knocking out a nicely felt version of "Sultans of Swing".  People who can do that are a dime a dozen. 

Exactly. If she was playing this on violin everyone would nod their head and say, yup that's a good orchestral musician.

We're so used to guitar being played to a technically low standard - in orchestral/classical terms - that anyone playing it like a "proper" instrument is seen as some kind of freak. 

Guitar is still an instrument where we're wowed by a few players being able to play some technical stuff or recreate famous pieces. Whereas this is the norm among proper trained musicians. A concert pianist should be able to play any dots put in front of them, most of us still don't know what the dots even mean.  =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    12 seconds for me....you can probably tell what I think of it, that dirty word:

Dr*vel
    Or you could always try learning parts of it and see if it improves your own playing at all ;)
    Why would I want to do that? This type of widdly widdly playing turns me cold and sounds shit. I don't want to sound like that.
    Because it would expand your fretboard knowledge and theory, and help you play stuff you do like better - which despite not liking the piece could actually be useful (and you could listen to a more traditional arrangement/instrumentation anyway!). Not suggesting you learn the whole thing, that'd take you years to get down, but even stuff you don't like can be helpful to your playing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    I never understand knocking technique, which to be fair I don’t think people here are.
    My aim is to improve my technique until age erodes it. Giving myself more options in what I can and can’t perform. 
    I hope to be as technically proficient one day.
    It’s not bloody likely.

• andy5805andy5805 Frets: 10
    Goodness me I've read some bitterness on here, from washed up guys who can't even do the first two seconds of that piece in two minutes! It's not nice to be horrible to someone so young and so talented and you've really given your own abilities away by being so angry and bitter. It's the height of ignorance to try and slap down something you could never do at all yourselves.

I think it was brilliant, she plays better than I ever could - I'm a rock / metal guitarist by trade and I used to be a lot better than I am now, but at the top of my game I wasn't her standard. Not close. I have no problem in saying that, I get to keep both my balls by saying that. I don't consider the fact she's female and younger than me as game over for my masculinity. I'm not even a fan of Beethoven but this piece converted me. So I grabbed it on piano from youtube, It's not as good , probably because i'm a guitarist, but she opened doors to me appreciating classical stuff, which other players haven't. I liked the Dr Vioissy take on it too.

Tina S vanished from the scene the other year and I wish her all the best - it could , in part, have been because of snide comments from jealous people because over achievers often take one negative as higher criticism than 1,000 positives. That's a shame as she was a fabulous guitarist with the world at her feet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • andy5805andy5805 Frets: 10
    Why would I want to do that? This type of widdly widdly playing turns me cold and sounds shit. I don't want to sound like that.
    jealous, insecure, probably can't play very well
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7869
    andy5805 said:
    I think need more baby Jesus in your life, son!   That’s damn rude!

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    andy5805 said:
    I think you need to be careful there. You're awfully close to a Rule #1 break.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3868
    I thought it was @fastonebaz with a wig on.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited May 2020
    EDIT: Ignore what I originally said.

The reason I made my first post was because I wanted to try to engage with @Bezzer in a serious way, in which I could disagree with his perception of the video without offending him, but agree with his assessment of some of the other comments.

But fuck it, I agree with what he said about some of the other comments, and I also agree that they're unnecessary. It is perfectly possible to say you disagree with someone else's music without saying it's shit. That's something that's pissed me right off too in the past.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    Lebarque said:
    I thought it was @fastonebaz with a wig on.
    Haha she's a million times better then me, in a wig. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    EDIT: Ignore what I originally said.

The reason I made my first post was because I wanted to try to engage with @Bezzer in a serious way, in which I could disagree with his perception of the video without offending him, but agree with his assessment of some of the other comments.

But fuck it, I agree with what he said about some of the other comments, and I also agree that they're unnecessary. It is perfectly possible to say you disagree with someone else's music without saying it's shit. That's something that's pissed me right off too in the past.
    He he ... I don’t know what you originally said but, if I read the subtext correctly, I love you too!

But yeah, that was exactly the crux of my posts. If people don’t like something I do ... that’s absolutely fine! But it’s important to be careful to distinguish between “not for me” and “shit”.

And don’t worry, it’s almost impossible to offend me with discussion!