D'addario's secret new strings

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchman said:
    I was uncertain whether to accept the invite to D'Addario's Players Circle (after buying their locking tuners). Since it involved divulging more personal info, I decided against it just in case it was an excuse to send a deluge of 'offers'.

I've not tried NYXLs. I'll give them a go soon. 

You can get freebies from it. I think the points from 15 sets of strings can get you a free set.  It you are willing to be patient, you can save them up and get a headstock tuner for free.

I'm less worried about D'Addario having my address than I am a lot of other companies.

Good to know. Thanks for that  :)
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 859
    It used to be ‘Keep your cardboard packets for the points’ and for years I’d chuck mine in my bottom drawer along with all kinds of other crap. Then it changed and there was a limited time to claim your free stuff. If I recall right I ended up with a t shirt, baseball cap (which has only just given up the ghost, after almost daily wear and many trips through the washer) and a pint glass.
    I also recall ads in the US mags of the 80s showing some of the swag you could get, up to and including a Zion tele style. I think you needed thousands of points for those though.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I wouldn't mind a Daddario t shirt, they've got a pretty cool logo.

I love the Ernie ball t shirts that are the colour of the different string gauges so you look like a big pack of strings lol
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    edited July 2019
  • I use the NYXLs on my electrics and I think they are fantastic, not that expensive either really. Elixirs every time on the acoustic, but I don't really rate their electric strings as much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I do really love NYXL's so I'm totally interested in these new XT's.  Not enough info in the press release to know what it's all about though.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7577
    edited July 2019
    Wonky said:
    Does this imply that the plain strings are coated?
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Wonky said:
    Does this imply that the plain strings are coated?
    I think that's how I'm reading it.  I'm not sure why you'd need a coating on NYXL's though, as mine seem to last amazingly well.  In fact so long I loose track of when I've put them on.  Imagine how long they'd last with a coating!
    Having said that, we don't know how much they're going to ask for such technological marvels yet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    It says treatment, not coating.
    Arjailer said:
    Yeah, I’m wondering if that treatment is a coating 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    TimmyO said:
    Arjailer said:
    Yeah, I’m wondering if that treatment is a coating 
    It talks about coatings elsewhere, so seems to me that the use of the word treatment is very deliberate to distinguish this from a coating.

Who knows though?
    If this sets plain strings have a life-extending treatment (be that a coating or something else) would that be a first or is it a thing elsewhere? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    My issue with these overpriced strings is that they just aren’t noticeably harder than the standard versions. I’m talking about the flat spots you get with wound strings. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Expensive.  The article says they will start from $9.99.  The first US retailer I found sells the normal D'Addario electric strings for $5.49.  I'd rather just buy 2 sets of the normal ones.

They might be worth a try for those who have acid sweat.
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    TimmyO said:
    If this sets plain strings have a life-extending treatment (be that a coating or something else) would that be a first or is it a thing elsewhere? 
    Elixirs have "anti-rust" plain strings, which might just be stainless steel, but I remember a few years ago there was a temporary issue with supply and you could only get them with regular plain strings for a little while. They suggests they're not just stainless. Either way, when Elixir PolyWebs were first out I remember the wound strings lasted forever but the plain ones died if anything quicker than other brands. Now my Elixir strings wear quite evenly.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    edited July 2019
    It's a manufacturing process that may or may not involve a treatment or a coating.
    I hate these stupid teaser sales campaigns.
    Sell the bastard things or keep them to yourselves. The next manufacturer will soon be along with the next greatest thing in string technology that will revolutionise the way all guitarists play.
    And I like Daddarios.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Hi guys, sorry I'm a little behind the press release, feel free to ask any questions!

XT is our brand new coating process available in a wide range of alloys and gauges. The wrap wire is coated on the wound strings. Yes the plain steel strings are also coated.

The core wire and plain steels also feature our NY Steel and fusion twists (which is a locking, soldered twist at the ball end).

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    I've been a long-time user of NYXLs - much prefer them over Ernie Balls. However, at around £12 - £15 for a set, I'm expecting these new 'super duper best strings EVER' to be around the £20 mark.

If they're anything like the Ernie Ball Paradigm, I'll give them a miss; I thought they were terrible. Will be interesting to see user opinions on them...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    TimmyO said:
    Elixirs have "anti-rust" plain strings, which might just be stainless steel, but I remember a few years ago there was a temporary issue with supply and you could only get them with regular plain strings for a little while. They suggests they're not just stainless. Either way, when Elixir PolyWebs were first out I remember the wound strings lasted forever but the plain ones died if anything quicker than other brands. Now my Elixir strings wear quite evenly.
    I'd tried coated strings before and kind of liked them. I was considering going back to them recently and I just wanted to make sure I could buy them in singles so I have backup for the more commonly snapped thin strings.

Looked on the websites and there were coated singles but only wound ones. It was at that point I realised that a coated set really only has half of the strings coated. So it kind of defeats the point if the wound strings last longer but the plain ones are dead at the normal time. Maybe if they sold packs of just the 3 plain strings that actually cost half the price of the main pack, it would allow only those ones to be changed every other time.

Still like coated bass strings though where they're all coated. Also like that it takes away that overly bright zinginess of new roundwounds.
    Adji said:
    Hi guys, sorry I'm a little behind the press release, feel free to ask any questions!

XT is our brand new coating process available in a wide range of alloys and gauges. The wrap wire is coated on the wound strings. Yes the plain steel strings are also coated.

The core wire and plain steels also feature our NY Steel and fusion twists (which is a locking, soldered twist at the ball end).

I take it the coating is for extending string life or is it maybe for feel?  I find NYXL's last for ages, so I can't imagine how long they'd last with this new coating.
    Personally I can't wait to try these out fro sure.