Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

THE THORPYFX TOURBOX Commences - Team Medic & Warthog Thoughts & Reviews

What's Hot

Comments

• theflyisbacktheflyisback Frets: 71
    edited November 2019

The Verdict

https://i.imgur.com/qqlkINv.jpg

All jokes and shoddy attempts at a wannabe journalistic narrative aside – its fair to say my life and musical mindset has changed a little over the last few days. 

How can I best sum up the Warthog and Team Medic?

Well, in a strange way (that I hope does not get misconstrued), these 2 pedals don’t really sound like ‘anything’ to be honest.  And that’s where the real beauty lies.

When sourcing and buying and trying pedals I generally have a pre-conceived idea of what they are supposed to sound like.  And generally, these pedals are voiced in a way that the manufacturer is dictating to you how they want you to think you want to sound.  A Tubescreamer sounds like a tubescreamer.  A Rat sounds like a rat.  A muff sounds like a muff.  A DS1 sounds like a DS1 etc.  I realise though that there isn’t actually by design a great deal of difference in any of these ‘classic’ circuits and its all pretty much a much of a muchness.  I think we are blinded by the brand at times too.

I don’t know Adrian’s philosophy is when he designs these creations - but what I ‘get’ from these pedals is that they are designed and built to give you the very, very best representation of the sound that YOU want.

With the best buffers, the best quality components, the most reliable sockets, the least noise interference – you get the picture. 

These pedal make me sound like ME, in the best way possible.   The pinnacle.  And I will be building my entire rig around these from now on. 

Whilst I think CD’s are the best media vessels - when I hear a home hi-fi enthusiast talk about how the only way to truly appreciate a piece of music is via the organic warmth and clarity of a record on a turntable I understand where he is coming from.

Thorpy is vinyl.  All the rest is mp3.   

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @theflyisback - wow, Mark, now THAT is a review !!!!

Superb. Give me an hour or two to absorb it :)

Thanks for that massive effort.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's a session mix of a song i made using the thorpy pedals as the base tone

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's a session mix of a song i made using the thorpy pedals as the base tone

Mark - audio as well !! 

Superb mate - really liked that clip - some of it reminded me of the Smiths... Excellent.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Well done for that review @theflyisback top effort. 
  • Ah wow the pedals just arrived. Here's me checking out the team medic and seeing if it can help on my quest for a smooth lead tone out of the Iridium.

Sounds absolutely superb, as Warren pointed out very Smiths-like and also reminds me of the amazing Interpol. The Thorpys sounds fantastic. What was the rest of your set up, amp, other pedals, etc?
  • Fuengi said:
    Well done for that review @theflyisback top effort. 
    Thanks, still got cramp in my fingers typing that! 

Sounds absolutely superb, as Warren pointed out very Smiths-like and also reminds me of the amazing Interpol. The Thorpys sounds fantastic. What was the rest of your set up, amp, other pedals, etc?
    Thanks. My band will definitely be getting a lawsuit (or tour offer) from Interpol when our stuff gets released! 

The rig on this recording was warthog > team
    medic > hx effects > radial JDX direct drive > boss br800 daw. 

No amp at all. The JDX was set on combo bright setting. Just has a bit of modulated delay on the hx and some room room reverb. 

I used the team medic to pad out some bottom end on the bass too.  I’ve got an alternative recording using my pre thorpy rig, essentially the same but with a wampler ecstasy and JHs prestige boost (I think I used the rat on the hx effects for the high gain at the end) and the difference is staggering. I should put it up for comparison. 

Drums are done on acoustica beatcraft which I think runs on MS DOS it’s that old. And will be getting redone. 
  • Should say, all guitar parts were done on a mex standard strat. I think the trem bends are what makes it a bit smithsy. I’m a massive marr fan but actually I’d never have thought this song is one where the smiths influence would peek through 
  • here's my first go on the Warthog, very impressed!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited November 2019
    Is it possible to sign up for this still or are we too far down the line now? Would love to get involved now I’m playing in a band again, been interested in the Warthog for a while and reckon it’d be a great fit for the heavy instrumental stuff we’re playing now  
  • TTBZ said:
    Is it possible to sign up for this still or are we too far down the line now? Would love to get involved now I’m playing in a band again, been interested in the Warthog for a while and reckon it’d be a great fit for the heavy instrumental stuff we’re playing now  
    Doors closed Im afraid now mate.

I keep extending it, but have to draw the line Im afraid as a fair bit of work goes on behind it.

Apologies ! :)
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    Thanks so much @ThorpyFX and @Wazmeister for sorting this. Was great fun. 

Finally in a position to shoot some videos properly so if you ever do a Heavy Water / Dane tourbox count me in. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    No worries and understandable, maybe next time :)
  • Had another little blast with the Team Medic this morning. Sounds great! 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    Where did this end up? 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Last I heard it was with @professorben - @Wazmeister ?
  • Yes, with  @professorben;

Ill chase him up :)