Dare I ask for car advice

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    I was behinh a Macan S yesterday, looks lovely.
    New shape?
    I am really looking forward to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    @octatonic - oh, nice motor sir, that will go a bit. The new one looks very nice in and out. Residuals always good on Porsches.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    edited September 2019
    octatonic said:
    New shape?
    69 plate, so it must be.

One thing I noticed the most actually was the 4 exhausts, 2 of which I could see a little flappy valve and it opens up when he put the foot down.  Proper real exhaust tips, sexy!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Nice. In sport mode, you get a backfire too, so if makes all these lovely gurgles and pops. Which is obviously essential.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    octatonic said:
    New shape?
    69 plate, so it must be.

One thing I noticed the most actually was the 4 exhausts, 2 of which I could see a little flappy valve and it opens up when he put the foot down.  Proper real exhaust tips, sexy!
    Yes that is the sport exhaust.

• I have a yaris hybrid and don't find the CVT noisy at all.

It's a really nice car, not really anything fancy, but it's comfortable, practical and reliable. 

I wouldn't recommend it for regular long distance trips though, purely because there is quite a lot of wind noise on the motorway. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    hywelg said:
    ewal said:
    Thread revival... I decided to put buying a new car on hold because other of other financial priorities, however my hand has now been forced as an unattended van rolled in to my car and it has been declared a write off. So I've got a courtesy car for next 7 days in which time I need to get something.

I had been looking at estates because I regularly carry my son's mountain bike in the back and because of our camping trips - there appears to be quite a few Passats on the market in my area at the moment, so that's an obvious candidate.

I hadn't as yet thought about small and mid sized SUV's because the boot capacities quoted don't compare with estates. However what are folks thoughts on these in practice? Is the space decent with the back seats down? There's a Kia Niro and Sportage up the road in Dundee which I might go and check out, but interested in people's first hand experience.
    I bought a VW Caddy Maxi Life when my old Galaxy got written off. Huge inside with the seats out, which for me is most of the time as I use it for work, bikes can stand up inside, I can get all my windsurfing gear inside without the need to use the roofrack. . 150PS engine is great and very economical 62mpg coming back from Herefordshire last w/e.

Unfortunately they are blessed with some of the VW 'cool' tax that T5/6's have . Overpriced and hold their value too well for whats effectively a posh van. I needed to get a Euro6 engine as at the time there was a lot of talk about Nottingham imposing a Emmisions zone. It never came to pass so I could have spent less and got an older one.

There would be a certain amount of irony in getting a Caddy, considering it was one of these that wrote off my Ceed...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    There's a 2018 Golf estate, less than 10,000 miles at the right price up the road in Dundee. I really should avoid any further procrastination and accept that's the car for me. It's almost too much like the Ceed though. Just do it man...
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited September 2019
    Zoolooter said:
    Just buy an older 6 cylinder BMW. Everything else is just hog wash.
    He said he’s after another practical car - he doesn’t want people to dislike him intensely as well...
    Looks like a straight shoot out between a Passat and an Optima...
  • Skoda Octavia? Loads of room for not much money and plenty around. 
    Yeah Octavia was right up there, but ended up going for the Optima. Good deal, warranty and metallic chocolate brown colour swung it.