Area 51

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited July 2019

@ICBM it is the octopus, not Jellyfish.

Above is one link, but there is a load more.

Very interesting, but it still doesn't sound like they've found anything relating to a different origin of life.

viz said:

This is my view too, but we must concede that the LUCA argument does not prohibit life having been initiated more than once; it might have occurred the day after too, but that family may have died out; with such simple organisms there would be no fossil record.

I am of the view that it only happened once, ever, but I also know that 1 is a very rare number on the universe. Things either tend not to happen at all, or they happen more than once. 
    That's possibly true, but if it happened more than once it's likely to have happened much *more* than once even on Earth, which would make it less likely that all competing 'family trees' bar one die out.

That's the real problem - to tell whether it's not vanishingly unlikely, in which case the number of planets supporting complex life is large, or vanishingly unlikely and the number is 1... of course in *our* universe, or we would not be here to know about it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9774
    edited July 2019
    SNAKEBITE said:
    I will add that some people do think Octopi are actual alien DNA.
    Surely would be octapod as the word Comes from Greek?
    TheMarlin said:
    I watched the Bob Lazar documentary.  It was crap. He’s got an interesting story, but this crappy self indulgent documentary was a mess. Don’t bother wasting your time watching it. 
    This (although I only got half way through - there's possibly only 2 minutes of content in the first half).

The fact that Lazar can't substantiate his education indicates that his whole story is just that - a story.  Even if (pandering to his delusion) the government had erased all reference to his education, surely he certificates for classes he passed and photos of his graduation. And when the lack of evidence of his education first appeared he was, I think, in his thirties, could he not have found classmates to verify that he had attended university?

If you want more reasons why Lazar is a fraud see this http://www.ufojoe.net/?p=220
    Just because one specific person who may be a fraud talks about a subject, it does not automatically mean the subject is a fraud by association
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3031
    edited July 2019
    Nah, just conspiracies by the balltards to discredit flat earth, I mean, how would aliens get through the protective dome? 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    SNAKEBITE said:
    I will add that some people do think Octopi are actual alien DNA.
    Surely would be octapod as the word Comes from Greek?
    I think the plural of octopus is octopuses.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Fermi’s paradox is, to my mind, relatively explainable I would say. 

Let’s just imagine that there is life out there at the same level of intelligence as we are currently. 

Let’s also imagine that the nearest life to us is in the constellation of Orion which is 1,344 light years away. 

Now, in our scenario with parallel technological development, we started radio wave transmissions 100 years ago or so. Let’s say the other life in Orion did too. 

That means those radio waves are a maximum of 100 light years away from us, and 100 light years from Orion as well. That’s 200 light years combined. That’s still only about 15% of the total distance required before either civilisation could detect them. 

Orion is relatively close as well. In fact, we wouldn’t detect the very first transmissions made from our imaginary Orion civilisation until the year 3254. 

It’s quiet out there because the further out you go, the further we are listening into and seeing into the past...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Let’s just imagine that there is life out there at the same level of intelligence as we are currently. 

Let’s also imagine that the nearest life to us is in the constellation of Orion which is 1,344 light years away. 

Now, in our scenario with parallel technological development, we started radio wave transmissions 100 years ago or so. Let’s say the other life in Orion did too. 

That means those radio waves are a maximum of 100 light years away from us, and 100 light years from Orion as well. That’s 200 light years combined. That’s still only about 15% of the total distance required before either civilisation could detect them. 

Orion is relatively close as well. In fact, we wouldn’t detect the very first transmissions made from our imaginary Orion civilisation until the year 3254. 

It’s quiet out there because the further out you go, the further we are listening into and seeing into the past...

When I used to swim in competitions as a teenager one of the clubs we used to come up against was called Orion. I can confirm no intelligent life was there
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

When I used to swim in competitions as a teenager one of the clubs we used to come up against was called Orion. I can confirm no intelligent life was there
    Were they transmitting radio waves?
    There was a girl called Anne who did, Tennae her surname was I think
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    blobb said:
    Nomad said:
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    That'll be your flying teapot

When the claim that there's a teapot orbiting a star has no supporting evidence (and the claim itself asserts that no evidence can be acquired), Russell might be justified in dismissing it as bollocks that somebody made up. However, it's not so easy to apply the same reasoning when you're standing on a teapot that's orbiting a star. 

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

Nomad said:
    blobb said:
    Nomad said:

When the claim that there's a teapot orbiting a star has no supporting evidence (and the claim itself asserts that no evidence can be acquired), Russell might be justified in dismissing it as bollocks that somebody made up. However, it's not so easy to apply the same reasoning when you're standing on a teapot that's orbiting a star. 

It's certainly easier to get a handle on it eh?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    tony99 said:
    Nomad said:
    blobb said:
    Nomad said:

Get a handle on what?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• blobbblobb Frets: 2972
    Nomad said:
    tony99 said:
    Nomad said:
    blobb said:
    Nomad said:

Get a handle on what?
    Yeah, wot you spouting on about?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    blobb said:
    Nomad said:
    tony99 said:
    Nomad said:
    blobb said:
    Nomad said:

Get a handle on what?
    Yeah, wot you spouting on about?
    what a brewhaha
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
    Oh ye Unbelievers!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2972
    Strong and streamin' mate.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Eeeh Tea.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1683
    Just because one specific person who may be a fraud talks about a subject, it does not automatically mean the subject is a fraud by association
    Agreed. I would like to have been able to believe Lazar's story, but it doesn't hold together. 

I have always "wanted to believe", but also required decent evidence to do so. I was at the first public showing of the (now debunked) Ray Santilli alien autopsy film. The polarisation of some of the audience who really, really wanted to believe it was true, and those that thought it was bollocks, was a bit like Brexit!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Ancient Aliens on History Channel is full of theories, conspiracy or not, about this kind of stuff. Like a TV version of the Charles Berlitz stuff I used to get from the book club at school back in the day.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    It's funny how no one ever mentions Areas 1 through 50. That's the real conspiracy, sheeple!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's funny how no one ever mentions Areas 1 through 50. That's the real conspiracy, sheeple!
    They're all just research centres for the different varieties of Heniz products