Eddie Murphy

What's Hot

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7895
    Philly_Q said:
    TheMarlin said:
    There used to be a great comic around London in the 90’s Ian Cognito. He was fantastic!
    The man who, sadly, died on stage earlier this year.
    Really? Gutted!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    edited July 2019
    TheMarlin said:
    Philly_Q said:
    TheMarlin said:
    There used to be a great comic around London in the 90’s Ian Cognito. He was fantastic!
    The man who, sadly, died on stage earlier this year.
    Really? Gutted!

Afraid so.  I'd never heard of "Ian Cognito", but I happened to read about his death, saw his real name - Paul Barbieri - and realised I remembered him from university in the '80s.  I didn't know him personally but he was the head of the university social committee (or something like that) and I saw his band once or twice.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/apr/14/ian-cognito-obituary

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    fob said:
    A friend of mine had Delirious on video when it came out - that thing may as well have been a gold brick at our school. I seem to remember that British stand-up *seemed* to consist of people like Ben Elton and Lenny Henry. Watching Delirious was like a revelation of how good it could be. Raw, on the other hand, I thought was awful. I struggled to see how the same guy could be responsible for both.

Currently, there doesn't seem to be too much about. Dave Chappelle not what he once was (which was epic). Louis CK pushed into the shadows because of his 'deeds'. Bill Burr is probably at his peak and thriving in today's political climate. I would recommend Norm MacDonald who used to have a YT channel where he interviewed other comedians but it was taken down when he moved to Netflix (and they ruined the show).

British stand-up seems like it's in the toilet - the best show I've seen in the past couple of years was Sara Pascoe's Lads,Lads, Lads. It's good but not ground-breaking; I think that's the best we can hope for at the moment. How people like Jack Whitehall and Russell Howard get work is beyond me.

Ireland fare better - they've got Tommy Tiernan.
    Joe Rogan's interviews are very good indeed, not just comedians though.  

Agree about Louis CK/Dave Chappelle.  IMO for the latter, Key & Peele's show owe's a huge amount to the success of Chappelle's Show.  Louis CK's show 'Louie' IMO is one of the best comedy programmes of any time.  A shame he had to wank off infront of actresses though. 

I'm somewhat surprised to to see Sara Pascoe mentioned as being the best show, as when I saw her she was genuinely one of the worst I have seen, some half baked jokes about her current/ex boyfriend.

Agree about Jack Whitehall, but I'd add Josh Widdecomb to the list as well.  Kevin Bridges is fucking terrible as well, just lowest common denominator observational comedy 'Inflation, bloody hell.  10p crisps are now 20p.'  One of his actual jokes. 

As for Russell Howard, I think he's been one of the most important standup comedian on television for a long time.  Ok, his his standup comedy itself is terrible, but on his Good News show he pretty much gave tv exposure to some of the better comedians around eg Glenn Wool, Doc Brown, Hannibal Buress, Nina Conti and so on.  There was a documentary with Nina Conti about ventriloquism which was superb, much sadder than I expected.  

I actually think there are a lot of great comedians around, but a lot of shite ones around as well.  Like there has always been! 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7895
    fob said:
    A friend of mine had Delirious on video when it came out - that thing may as well have been a gold brick at our school. I seem to remember that British stand-up *seemed* to consist of people like Ben Elton and Lenny Henry. Watching Delirious was like a revelation of how good it could be. Raw, on the other hand, I thought was awful. I struggled to see how the same guy could be responsible for both.

Currently, there doesn't seem to be too much about. Dave Chappelle not what he once was (which was epic). Louis CK pushed into the shadows because of his 'deeds'. Bill Burr is probably at his peak and thriving in today's political climate. I would recommend Norm MacDonald who used to have a YT channel where he interviewed other comedians but it was taken down when he moved to Netflix (and they ruined the show).

British stand-up seems like it's in the toilet - the best show I've seen in the past couple of years was Sara Pascoe's Lads,Lads, Lads. It's good but not ground-breaking; I think that's the best we can hope for at the moment. How people like Jack Whitehall and Russell Howard get work is beyond me.

Ireland fare better - they've got Tommy Tiernan.

Agree about Louis CK/Dave Chappelle.  IMO for the latter, Key & Peele's show owe's a huge amount to the success of Chappelle's Show.  Louis CK's show 'Louie' IMO is one of the best comedy programmes of any time.  A shame he had to wank off infront of actresses though. 

I'm somewhat surprised to to see Sara Pascoe mentioned as being the best show, as when I saw her she was genuinely one of the worst I have seen, some half baked jokes about her current/ex boyfriend.

Agree about Jack Whitehall, but I'd add Josh Widdecomb to the list as well.  Kevin Bridges is fucking terrible as well, just lowest common denominator observational comedy 'Inflation, bloody hell.  10p crisps are now 20p.'  One of his actual jokes. 

As for Russell Howard, I think he's been one of the most important standup comedian on television for a long time.  Ok, his his standup comedy itself is terrible, but on his Good News show he pretty much gave tv exposure to some of the better comedians around eg Glenn Wool, Doc Brown, Hannibal Buress, Nina Conti and so on.  There was a documentary with Nina Conti about ventriloquism which was superb, much sadder than I expected.  

I actually think there are a lot of great comedians around, but a lot of shite ones around as well.  Like there has always been! 
    Sorry, I think Nina Conti is very overrated. 
    IMHO, the best thing she has done is her small
    part in Radio 4’s ‘Claire in The Community.’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431

I think there might be some thread cross-pollination there.

earwighoney said:

Best is a relative term, not something where you tell the grandkids 'I was there' but better than most of the other stuff I've seen in the past couple of years.

There is one comedian I've not managed to catch who is supposedly very good: Daniel Kitson. There is very little of his stuff on the internet (his intention as I understand) but what snippets there are suggest I might like him.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Eddie Murphy was at least funny at one point.

You couldn't really say the same about Michael McIntyre. I've had bouts of gastro-enteritis that were funnier than he is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I'm listening to a bloke called Terry Alderton on the radio at the moment. He's described as an award winning comedian.
    I'm trying to work out what the award was for, possibly a darts or snooker prize.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Comedy. The subject least likely to have a consensus of opinion.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18869
    axisus said:
    Comedy. The subject least likely to have a consensus of opinion.
    Phew! Thought you might have said guitars...
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    fob said:

I think there might be some thread cross-pollination there.

earwighoney said:

Best is a relative term, not something where you tell the grandkids 'I was there' but better than most of the other stuff I've seen in the past couple of years.

There is one comedian I've not managed to catch who is supposedly very good: Daniel Kitson. There is very little of his stuff on the internet (his intention as I understand) but what snippets there are suggest I might like him.
    I've seen a few Daniel Kitson shows, and they've largely been exceptional but I could see his craft might not be to everyone's taste. 
    Emo Philips.

• This is fucking funny.

Bye!

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited July 2019
    Sassafras said:
    RobDavies said:
    Steve Hughes and Reginald D Hunter are the best of the ‘current’ crop. 

I was fortunate enough to see Steve Hughes about six or seven years ago before his car accident and subsequent depression issues.  He is performing again, but I’m not sure he’ll ever come to the UK again. 
    I thought he lived in England. Manchester to be precise, that's almost In England.
    He did.  Not sure whether he moved back to Oz before the accident or afterwards but think he’s lived there ever since.  The bloke actually messaged me on Facebook a while ago to apologise for not touring in the uk.  Bless him. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    The names coming out here... who would have thought that different people have a different sense of humour?

At least no-one has said they like Michael MacIntyre. I would have handed my Fretboard membership back on the way out...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995

I'm not a fan of Sara Pascoe.  Maybe she's OK doing her own show but she's poor when she's on the TV panel shows, very lacking in wit.  Presumably those programmes are somewhat rehearsed but she still never manages to come up with anything funny.
    The names coming out here... who would have thought that different people have a different sense of humour?

At least no-one has said they like Michael MacIntyre. I would have handed my Fretboard membership back on the way out...
    And ill fitting suit, big smile, skip skip skip... I love him  <3
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Russell Brand, Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr, Jack Whitehall.
    All awful, especially Russell Brand, the dirty looking mockney tosser.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    fob said:
    How people like Jack Whitehall and Russell Howard get work is beyond me.
    So much wisdom for this. They get work because they are completely fine with dumbing down the population and anesthetizing them.
    Agree.
    Both are comedians for people who have no sense of humour.
    Same with MM.

My favourites: Eddie Izzard, Stewart Lee, George Carlin, Joe Rogan, Pryor, Bill Hicks, Chris Rock, Doug Stanhope, Bill Burr, Robin Williams.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited July 2019
    He's about as funny as birdshit on your barbeque