Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Albums which you can no longer enjoy because of something someone said...

What's Hot
steven70steven70 Frets: 1277
edited July 2019 in Music
I like to think I know what I like...if it's good it's good and who cares about the opinions of others.
But sometimes, someone says something you can't get over.
My younger sister once asked what I was listening to.
"Caravanserai," I said..."By Santana...he played Woodstock while tripping on LSD."
And knowing this made me pretty cool too...

"It sounds like the music they play on the telly when a magician is sawing a lady in half," my sister says.
Haven't been able to listen to the thing since.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    When someone pointed out Yoko 's voice at the end of war is over.

Cannot unhear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    ...anything by Morrisey.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Philtre said:
    ...anything by Morrisey.
    The artist may be flawed...but that doesn’t mean the art is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9819
    It didn't put me off thankfully, but my dad popped his head around the door when I was listening to Jeff Buckley and said.... Is this guy a Freddy Mercury tribute act or something?

He also thought, inexplicably, that I was listening to Busted when I was actually listening to Hate To Say I Told You So by The Hives.

Thankfully they were laughable so as not to put me off them :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    Nope, never.

I'd far rather the opposite, someone passionate about a band tells me why they are great and I listen to them as a result.

Negativity can fuck off.  I can go to work if I want to be surrounded by negativity.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Someone said that the vocals on 'I Want You' by Bob Dylan sound like Monty Burns from the Simpsons, and they really do
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited July 2019
    Really old school but Iron Butterfly, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
    I used to really like this till I'm playing the record one night and my mate Merv hasn't heard it before and says... and if you like the Butterfly then don't read the spoiler cos it has bloody ruined it for me...
    "That organ solo after the drum solo sounds just like "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" A psychedelic classic instantly turned into a Woolworth's organ rendition of a Christmas Carol
    Yes, it does.  It really does.

Or another favourite ruined by going  onto song meanings site.  Most of the stuff on there is wrong -- and I'm pretty sure this it too -- but once I knew it I couldn't un-know it so every time I hear the sublime "Carpet Crawlers" by Genesis (only song of theirs I like btw), I get the feckin' interpretation which tells me...
    It's Peter Gabriel's story of how he's a sperm going to fertilize an egg. 
    Well no it fucking isn't -- surely? -- but that piece of misinformation comes up every time now.

Lastly, Mike Oldfield, "Ommadawn".  And this might be true but I'd rather not know.

It's Mike's musical recreation of his mother giving birth to him and the crescendo is the all the build up with the big scream at the end.... And yes, it's all natural and we've all been there, (well not me, I'm Caesarian), but for me that's all a bit icky and it is knowledge which has not enhanced the listening experience.

Bonus last one, not too bad this one, but again proving there is no Delete key in our cognitions.  Once you've heard Killing Joke singing "I've lost my Bert, I've lost my Bert" in the song they've called "Love Like Blood" you'll never take it seriously again.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1277
    Grunfeld said:
    Really old school but Iron Butterfly, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
    I used to really like this till I'm playing the record one night and my mate Merv hasn't heard it before and says... and if you like the Butterfly then don't read the spoiler cos it has bloody ruined it for me...
    Yes, it does.  It really does.

Or another favourite ruined by going  onto song meanings site.  Most of the stuff on there is wrong -- and I'm pretty sure this it too -- but once I knew it I couldn't un-know it so every time I hear the sublime "Carpet Crawlers" by Genesis (only song of theirs I like btw), I get the feckin' interpretation which tells me...
    Well no it fucking isn't -- surely? -- but that piece of misinformation comes up every time now.

Lastly, Mike Oldfield, "Ommadawn".  And this might be true but I'd rather not know.

Bonus last one, not too bad this one, but again proving there is no Delete key in our cognitions.  Once you've heard Killing Joke singing "I've lost my Bert, I've lost my Bert" in the song they've called "Love Like Blood" you'll never take it seriously again.
    Genius... :)

We used to play In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida at 45 and it sounds like Elvis
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    I struggle with Rush and their support of Ayn Rand. 
    I managed not to be too bothered for years, until I read the infamous NME interview. 

Clapton. The Enoch Powell stuff. 

Morrissey. Huge Smiths fan (hence the user name), but no more solo Morrissey for me.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2927
    After Morrisseys recent outbursts i struggled with my conscious when a smith song came on my random playlist the other day.

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1277
    edited July 2019
    Oh Lordy, all points taken, but let's not get all political on this one...I beseech thee.
    Just meant to be a bit of fun likes...

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I can't see anyone putting me off of music I like just by saying something. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    I struggle with Rush and their support of Ayn Rand. 
    I managed not to be too bothered for years, until I read the infamous NME interview. 

That was 40 years ago.  People's views can change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553

I know.

It's only those three tbh and I'm not proud of it. I can quite happily listen to a little Wagner. Whether or not Eric Satie cleaned out his rabbits is a matter of supreme indifference to me and I still catch myself innocently humming the odd Gary Glitter tune.   

But Rush, Clapton and Mozzer?

I struggle.

Sorry.

I still catch myself innocently humming the odd Gary Glitter tune.   

Likewise.  They're in my head, can't be helped.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Years ago, I played a friend an album by Obituary. He said that John Tardy (vocalist) sounds exactly like a Satanic Scooby Doo. I immediately agreed.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1847
    edited July 2019
    I haven't listened to "Rolf Rules OK" since yewtree. It's a shame its not his only criminal record now.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11616
    tFB Trader
    I used to love Kiss albums but seeing too many interviews with Gene Simmons pretty much ruined that - be it the stupid sexist attitudes or the fact that he loves Donald Trump..........just make it so much harder to love those songs now.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I used to love Kiss albums but seeing too many interviews with Gene Simmons pretty much ruined that - be it the stupid sexist attitudes or the fact that he loves Donald Trump..........just make it so much harder to love those songs now.

A few weeks ago I decided on a little project to listen to all the Kiss albums, in order, on Spotify.  I know the hits and the '80s stuff (Lick It Up onwards), but I'd never actually heard the early albums - I remember even back in 1979 when I started buying rock albums, they had a reputation for sounding a bit weedy and underproduced.

Anyway, I got halfway through the first album and that was the end of that....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Rock for light by Bad Brains. My girlfriend said singer sounds like Cartman from South Park.