Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Albums which you can no longer enjoy because of something someone said...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1277
    steven70 said:
    I like to think I know what I like...if it's good it's good and who cares about the opinions of others.
    But sometimes, someone says something you can't get over.
    My younger sister once asked what I was listening to.
    "Caravanserai," I said..."By Santana...he played Woodstock while tripping on LSD."
    And knowing this made me pretty cool too...

"It sounds like the music they play on the telly when a magician is sawing a lady in half," my sister says.
    Haven't been able to listen to the thing since.

I had that on tape once it’s real good , nothing wrong with her description either , they played pretty funky stuff, saw so many television magicians perform tricks to the theme from shaft
    Yeah, I know- it's a classic album. I was taking a bit of artistic licence as I do still enjoy listening...

Theme from Shaft another classic :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    I no longer enjoy Public Enemy’s first two albums as much as I should. At the time I was too young to understand the constant praise for the Gobshite Louis Farrakhan. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't really been put off anything, but I did play Tonight, Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins in the car with my ex-wife and her kids... when Billy Corgan started singing, one of the kids asked "Is this The Muppets?" :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    I haven't really been put off anything, but I did play Tonight, Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins in the car with my ex-wife and her kids... when Billy Corgan started singing, one of the kids asked "Is this The Muppets?" :lol:
    After his appearance on the Alex Jones show and his persistent whining; I’d say that’s about right. 
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271

ICBM said:

Clapton. The Enoch Powell stuff.
    I used to have a big problem with that until I watched the 'Life In Twelve Bars' documentary. I now think he's genuinely remorseful about it - I hadn't realised just how serious a drunk he was, and while that isn't a complete excuse it does explain it to a large extent. In the film he came across as so deeply ashamed and embarrassed by what he did that he's afraid that no public apology would ever be seen as enough, and his having personally apologised to the many black musicians he counted as friends and who continued to work with him says more, to me.

I do find The Smiths a bit difficult to listen to now though.
    Took him long enough tho didn't it?
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1277
    edited August 2019
    Heel said:

ICBM said:

Clapton. The Enoch Powell stuff.
    I used to have a big problem with that until I watched the 'Life In Twelve Bars' documentary. I now think he's genuinely remorseful about it - I hadn't realised just how serious a drunk he was, and while that isn't a complete excuse it does explain it to a large extent. In the film he came across as so deeply ashamed and embarrassed by what he did that he's afraid that no public apology would ever be seen as enough, and his having personally apologised to the many black musicians he counted as friends and who continued to work with him says more, to me.

I do find The Smiths a bit difficult to listen to now though.
    Took him long enough tho didn't it?

How do you know how long it took him to apologise to his friends and colleagues? 

Agree, that 'Twelve Bars' documentary is a good film, he is clearly off his face- properly messed up, not like your 'designer LA junkie' messed up...properly out of control. 
  • It's odd.

I'm a 50 year old student mental health nurse and work with people who have done terrible things.
    They are just people, like you and me, who were once very ill and are now recovering. 

I shouldn't  be so judgemental. 

I'll watch the documentary. ICBM makes a good case for re evaluating Clapton. 
    Sometimes it's so easy to slip into prejudice. I should know better. But slebs are so easy to critisise, we can project our fears onto them without any fear of our justification being questioned. 

So yes, I'm happy to rethink my attitude towars EC.
    I'm quite looking forward to discovering his sober stuff.

I don't have this thing about most art - I couldn't care less about Francis Bacon's alcoholism for example. I try not to care about an artist's motivation and usually go out of my way to avoid learning about the personal lives of artists - it's how I feel as an observer that counts.

Music is different though, for some reason. 

Mozzer's still a knob though. 

Regards,
    Pete. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5862
    I used to love "God Shuffled His Feet" by Crash Test Dummies. I can't even consider listening to it anymore because a bloke down the Pub told me that the Lead Singer shagged my Sister.

I hope he's satisfied that he ruined my life  :#
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom