Found this weightlifting website- gives an indication of performance

What's Hot

Comments

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I was taught to rest no longer than the time it took to do the set you've just done? Not sure if that's correct but it seems to work for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    edited August 2019
    ThorpyFX said:
    the_jaffa said:
    I do some lifting as part of Crossfit. Been doing it pretty much two years. Good fun and it’s definitely helped me get fitter and stronger. 

Starting, from nowhere really, in my early 40s though is tough and progress is slow. 

@ThorpyFX What were your numbers for your 1000lb lifts? That’s pretty impressive. 
    Current PBS are:

160kg Bench press
    200Kg Deadlift
    170Kg Squat.

as an aside my seated leg press is 450Kg which I'm over the moon with tbh, considering where i was back 12 months ago

I want to hit the following within 12months:

170kg Bench press
    250Kg Deadlift
    220Kg Squat.

550kg leg press.

Blaendulais said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    What type of lifting are you doing, I loved doing weights, particularly leg workouts, squats etc, but my lower back is stuffed now so am limited to what I can do.
    Hardest part is building it up slowly so you don't injure yourself

I'm in the process of building up again... but im already back to lifting very heavy , which has pleased me no end. I've entered the 1000lb club with my combined deadlift, squat and bench press. However........ i have paid for a personal trainer to beast me so we mix the heavy lifts in with supersets, high reps, high intensity to burn fat as well...... so far so good, it seems to be both good for the body and is knackering.
    Time for a new photo in your Guitarist column then!! 
    by the end of the year i think..... got to lose some more timber first.
    Those numbers are pretty good, but if your squat is only 10kg over your bench press there’s something not working right or under developed. That would suggest 220 is achievable once whatever it is has been addressed 

don’t do what I did which was do 2.5 times body weight deadlifts for reps thinking I was some kind of hero and then having surgery and what will be 8 months out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I had my first session with a strength coach this week, working on deadlifting technique: sumo and orthodox Next week, squats.

I've recently been on a fairly prolonged (8 months, so far) weight loss kick. No drastic diets, no massive calorie restriction, just slow but steady. More activity. Less food.

I've dropped about 21kgs since I started recording my weight regularly, although really about 25kg in total, and dropped about 10% in body fat percentage.

Last three months, I've been doing kettlebell, TRX, and bodyweight training at home. Which has been fine, but I'm working through long standing injuries -- upper back and shoulder (which is chronic, and probably caused by desk work), and knees and hips (which was caused by kickboxing) -- so it's been slow but steady. I'm not sure how visible the strength training is to anyone else -- people notice the weight loss, but not the rest -- but I notice. Bits that were blancmange before are not appreciably bigger to the eye, but they are totally solid.

My actual strength is all over the place. So, I can't do a single strict form press-up from the floor, but I can do multiple sets of 15 reps with good form if my hands are elevated by 20cm or so, because the slight elevation changes the angle and stops the movement aggravating my bad shoulder. Tricep push down, and lats, bent over row, etc are fine  -- decently within the average range -- but bench (also because of shoulder) would be below average, and shoulder press, well below average.

Deadlift, he started me on 60kgs, although we did a fair number of sets, with a fair number of reps, so the actual amount I could deadlift for a 5 rep set, say, would be quite a bit higher (although still low for someone my bodyweight). But, I don't want to feck up my knees and hips (which are dodgy), so slow is good. I'm happy to take months and months to build up to whatever my actual max is.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6147
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    the_jaffa said:
    I do some lifting as part of Crossfit. Been doing it pretty much two years. Good fun and it’s definitely helped me get fitter and stronger. 

Starting, from nowhere really, in my early 40s though is tough and progress is slow. 

@ThorpyFX What were your numbers for your 1000lb lifts? That’s pretty impressive. 
    Current PBS are:

160kg Bench press
    200Kg Deadlift
    170Kg Squat.

as an aside my seated leg press is 450Kg which I'm over the moon with tbh, considering where i was back 12 months ago

Those numbers are pretty good, but if your squat is only 10kg over your bench press there’s something not working right or under developed. That would suggest 220 is achievable once whatever it is has been addressed 

don’t do what I did which was do 2.5 times body weight deadlifts for reps thinking I was some kind of hero and then having surgery and what will be 8 months out.
    well....... 

Im easing into squats slowly, its the only thing i have to take it easy on because a) i have a fully rebuilt right knee and b) because I have herniated L4 and L5 discs which properly messed me up. 12 months of recovery and 7 months of physio..... not something I want to repeat in a hurry. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • 170 is not taking it easy! :)
    tFB Trader
    Update... trading is going very well, PT is super happy

new PBS are:

170kg Bench press
    260kg Deadlift
    250kg Squat

but.... most importantly I can do 12 pull-ups unassisted despite weighing a ton. 

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    ThorpyFX said:

new PBS are:

170kg Bench press
    260kg Deadlift
    250kg Squat

but.... most importantly I can do 12 pull-ups unassisted despite weighing a ton. 

Wow, they are pretty impressive! 

How heavy are you? If you don’t mind me asking ... I’m 68kg and couldn’t lift half of that!!
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Impressive lifts! Mine have been stuck at 120/220/160 forever :(
    edited November 2019 tFB Trader
    cm01 said:
    ThorpyFX said:

new PBS are:

170kg Bench press
    260kg Deadlift
    250kg Squat

Wow, they are pretty impressive! 

How heavy are you? If you don’t mind me asking ... I’m 68kg and couldn’t lift half of that!!
    I weigh 119kg..... so pretty heavy. As Worlds strongest man Martin Licis says “a little bit fit, a little bit fat”
    tFB Trader
    Im going up:

Bench press has made most gains: 140kg for 10 reps.... 150kg, for 6 reps and 180Kg for one rep.
    Deadlift = 270Kg
    Squat = 250Kg (can do 350kg on hack squat so this is just a confidence issue)
    Military (Shoulder) press = 120Kg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    ThorpyFX said:
    Im going up:

Bench press has made most gains: 140kg for 10 reps.... 150kg, for 6 reps and 180Kg for one rep.
    Deadlift = 270Kg
    Squat = 250Kg (can do 350kg on hack squat so this is just a confidence issue)
    Military (Shoulder) press = 120Kg
    Blimey, they’re some right numbers
  • 270 deadlift is insanely heavy. I was happy with 190 and pretty much exploded my internal organs going for 200
  • That's some serious weight you're lifting there Adrian. Good to have a goal to aim for and your progress is impressive after the disc issues. I've been lifting weights for much of my adult life and once had similar goals - i.e. to significantly increase the amount I could lift. I bulked up a fair bit in my 30s, but by my 40s the injuries set in. As we discussed at the UK Guitar Show last year, I've had a few spinal ops now and I have to be careful of how I treat my body. Squats and dead-lifts with heavy weights are forbidden by surgeons and physios alike, so those things are in the past for me. I'm impressed that you're able to do them so well after what you've been through - good job mate.  Like you, I find it much harder than when I was younger. I'm still reasonably strong for my body weight, but recovery takes longer now and I don't always notice that I've aggravated my spine until several hours after my work-out. I find that a Serola belt does help if I've got a bit carried away and overdone it a bit. Did you ever get one in the end?

One of the (many) physios I've seen post-surgery was an ex-military guy. He was very powerfully built and I asked him what exercises he did to get in that shape. To my surprise, he barely used weights. He was of the view that we can take our bodies too far beyond their natural frame with really heavy weights and, in doing so, make them less efficient and more prone to injury. I'm into boxing and that kinda makes sense to me as fighters generally have an optimum weight. Below it, they lack power. Above it, they lack speed. Instead of doing squats with a barbell or smiths machine, this physio did them one-legged. Try it, it's harder than you'd think and gives your legs a real work-out if you can't get to the gym. Also, as an alternative to shoulder press, he would do a handstand against a wall and use his body weight to push up and down. I used to do this latter exercise when I did a lot of gymnastics as a teenager. I'd probably break my neck it I tried it now - and the bugger is already held together with what resembles Meccano!

Anyway, great to hear that you're back in the gym and successfully working out after such a tough time. All the best mate. Oh, and stop making such splendid pedals, you're murdering my bank account. I own five now and even my wife has noticed them taking over my pedalboard!  :-)

• Bit of a bump, but I've started hitting the dumb bells during lockdown. Today started week 9. Working out 3 times a week right now, for about an hour, and supplementing with cardio on and off too. I'm not lifting heavy, nowhere near what you can get on a bar and I'm a 35 year old beginner. But I can feel I'm already stronger. My body feels like it supports itself better - which is a new feeling for me after 12+ years of basically just being a CPU-poon hound.

Been doing a full body cycle. Squats, bench-press, bent over rows, standing shoulder press, and sit ups. Started off with 3x10, but now doing 4x10 and 5x10 for bench-press.

Caring about your body enough to see your child become an adult is the new counter culture... apparently...

Bye!

tFB Trader
    Bit of a bump, but I've started hitting the dumb bells during lockdown. Today started week 9. Working out 3 times a week right now, for about an hour, and supplementing with cardio on and off too. I'm not lifting heavy, nowhere near what you can get on a bar and I'm a 35 year old beginner. But I can feel I'm already stronger. My body feels like it supports itself better - which is a new feeling for me after 12+ years of basically just being a CPU-poon hound.

Been doing a full body cycle. Squats, bench-press, bent over rows, standing shoulder press, and sit ups. Started off with 3x10, but now doing 4x10 and 5x10 for bench-press.

Caring about your body enough to see your child become an adult is the new counter culture... apparently...
    Bit of a bump, but I've started hitting the dumb bells during lockdown. Today started week 9. Working out 3 times a week right now, for about an hour, and supplementing with cardio on and off too. I'm not lifting heavy, nowhere near what you can get on a bar and I'm a 35 year old beginner. But I can feel I'm already stronger. My body feels like it supports itself better - which is a new feeling for me after 12+ years of basically just being a CPU-poon hound.

well done, thats awesome work. it may be the new counter culture.... but being healthy in body really does help me to be healthy in my mind too.... so there is that. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    anyone any ideas on what I can do for my deadlifts, the weight plates dont have a wide enough radius so I'm bending a little out of form to start the lift, thought about maybe balancing it on something but that's not a great idea is it really?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    tony99 said:
    anyone any ideas on what I can do for my deadlifts, the weight plates dont have a wide enough radius so I'm bending a little out of form to start the lift, thought about maybe balancing it on something but that's not a great idea is it really?
    You can build up the level underneath using anything that will support the weight. Stick a cushion or pillow on top of each, to stop the weights rolling. Even a towel folded over a few times should work. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    i have two blocks of rubber i use for when i want to straight leg deadlift but without bending down quite as far. so id do that. if you need to use books. they will work just fine

• WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited May 2020
    ThorpyFX said:

well done, thats awesome work. it may be the new counter culture.... but being healthy in body really does help me to be healthy in my mind too.... so there is that. 
    I have actually noticed that in myself too.

Got my drinking under control too. Now if I could get my sleep patterns under control, I'd be Charlie Sheen bi-winning!!

Maybe I'll try the power-lifting thing in the future. Not ready for that right now, still a lightweight n00b, but I'm perfectly fine with that. Everyone starts in a different place.

Bye!

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    ThorpyFX said:

I have actually noticed that in myself too.

Got my drinking under control too. Now if I could get my sleep patterns under control, I'd be Charlie Sheen bi-winning!!

Maybe I'll try the power-lifting thing in the future. Not ready for that right now, still a lightweight n00b, but I'm perfectly fine with that. Everyone starts in a different place.
    try some dynamic stuff with your dumbells, like snatch, clean and jerk, most videos show it with kettlebell but any is fine, get ya fast twitch muscle fibres firing

you'll be like captain america before you know it!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!