How much is 'too much' for some wood and wire?

What's Hot

Comments

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4987
    I have a few £1k+ (if new) guitars, but buy them 2nd hand so actually pay less for them. Win/Win for me :)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    littlegreenman;238854" said:
    I have a few £1k+ (if new) guitars, but buy them 2nd hand so actually pay less for them. Win/Win for me :)

That's the preferred route, but not always doable if I'm after summat specific.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    And 0% finance gives me a semi on quite frankly. As long as the retail is in line with competitors.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    "Too much" is only ever "more than you can afford" and that applies to guitars, cars, houses, watches, bottles of wine, and just about anything I can think of.

Other people may have a view, but that's based on what they could afford, and their spending priorities.

Although, having said that, I could probably afford to spend more today than I could when I bought my most expensive guitars - but I'd prefer not to spend it, and be able to retire a couple of weeks earlier instead!  Priorities change ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    As someone that constantly deals with guitars in the £2000+ range this got me thinking and wondering if it's all about priorities

How much is too much for:

a house
    a car
    a mobile phone
    a camera
    a bicycle
    a holiday
    a gig ticket
    a theatre ticket
    a night at the pub
    a pair of trainers
    what you  would spend each month on beer and cigarettes

often guys spending is moderated out of respect to their wives or girlfriends 
    but how much is too much for:

a diamond ring (it was only De Beers that suggested than an engagement ring should cost 2 months wages)
    womens shoes
    a ladies handbag (believe me they cost more than the missus tells you)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    As someone that constantly deals with guitars in the £2000+ range this got me thinking and wondering if it's all about priorities

How much is too much for:

a house
    a car
    a mobile phone
    a camera
    a bicycle
    a holiday
    a gig ticket
    a theatre ticket
    a night at the pub
    a pair of trainers
    what you  would spend each month on beer and cigarettes

often guys spending is moderated out of respect to their wives or girlfriends 
    but how much is too much for:

a diamond ring (it was only De Beers that suggested than an engagement ring should cost 2 months wages)
    womens shoes
    a ladies handbag (believe me they cost more than the missus tells you)
    Yeah, it's definitely all about priorities. You spend money on stuff that interests you. I s'pose it's trying to figure out what is and isn't overpriced.

For example, I took the Mrs to see The Hobbit in 48 fps/3d. Standard seats. £24. I saw that as overpriced (although it is a good film). In comparison, I could have bought two tickets to Matt Schofield for that dollar. A LIVE show vs the cinema? No contest for me!
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    yeah but you can't put a price on not being nagged by the missus
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    monoamine said:
    My divorce solicitor did.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Leo Fender once said that a Strat should cost a month's wages... the same guitars are now "worth" more than a lot of people's yearly salaries.

Unusually, I'm agreeing with @ICBM on this... above £5K its really becoming the realms of diminishing returns and you are then into bragging rights. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann;238937" said:

Unusually, I'm agreeing with @ICBM on this... 
    It's the beginning of the end!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    monoamine said:
    Aye, I forgot to account for the earache!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    There was a thread on the forum a few months ago that made me stop and think about our differing spending priorities. It was somebody discussing a particular car and the replies indicated that a couple of forum regulars are using a car in the £20k to £30k range as their daily transport.
    Of course - there is nothing unusual about that at all. But if you handed me £30k now and told me I had to spend it on a single item, a guitar would be maybe 10 times more likely than a car.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I can't actually think of a famous guitar I'd want to own (due to an association or recording). I played one of Eddie Cochran's once and that was pretty cool as I'd grown up in a house where he was god, but I can't say I'd have wanted to keep it (other than it was a cool guitar).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    If I was a better player, I might feel differently. A really high end guitar just seems a bit of a waste for a man who can barely string a whole song together. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Skipped said:
    There was a thread on the forum a few months ago that made me stop and think about our differing spending priorities. It was somebody discussing a particular car and the replies indicated that a couple of forum regulars are using a car in the £20k to £30k range as their daily transport.
    Of course - there is nothing unusual about that at all. But if you handed me £30k now and told me I had to spend it on a single item, a guitar would be maybe 10 times more likely than a car.
    Have a wisdom  :D
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

£2.5K on a Custom Shop Telecaster.

Alnico;239001" said:
    Prefer the £1400 I paid for mine used, half price as retails in the £2900 mark.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I have about 20 electrics...max paid about £900 ( EBMM axis )

Oddly when I didnt have much money I wanted to spend loads on guitars....now I have some money I always want a bargain?   

Whats all that about..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    jd0272 said:
    Alnico said:
    Prefer the £1400 I paid for mine used, half price as retails in the £2900 mark.

Yeah I would go for something like that.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4138
    I can't ever see myself spending much more that £2-2.5k in today's money. I prefer to buy used anyway, so that brings a lot of things into reach, and I know that there's very little benefit gained from spending the extra, beyond cosmetics or rare tonewoods. 

That said, I'd be happier to spend up to £4-5k on a great acoustic - but it would have to be able to brew the perfect cuppa, and walk the dog too.