How much is 'too much' for some wood and wire?

What's Hot

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited May 2014
    Can I have a guess?

Pre-Historic?  (Very nice either way)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Would a pre-Historic be "distinctly expensive"? If so, consider mine FS.
  • I was given an relatively expensive guitar for my 40th recently and at first I found it difficult to A: justify owning it and B: actually taking it out and using it. But, what's the point of owning something just to keep in a case and play at home now and then? This will be with me for ever now (no way would I get away with flogging it even if I wanted to) so I decided to get it out there and use it. It might get a few dings on the way but at least it'll have a few stories in it.
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    TTony said:
    I've bought a distinctly expensive guitar last week (don't ask me how much, because I'm keeping that to myself even though I'm only answerable to myself). It's almost certainly a lifetime one off, as I had some money come my way in the last few weeks. All I will say is it's rather old, looks great, and sounds phenomenal.
    Pics @archtopdave we need pics.  Once you've removed the price tag of course!!
    Purely to gratify your base needs!!
    PHWOAR!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    We would have to define distinctly expensive. Last Pre-Historic at a UK dealer was in the North West a few months ago. 4000 UK pounds. Sold quickly. Late 80's.   
    ;)

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    Even if I had the money, I don't think I could ever justify to myself spending much over about £1200 for a new guitar.

I'd love one day to be able to afford a Gibson 335, which would probably come in at around that kind of price, I think? Maybe a tad more?

I'm at a point in my understanding of the guitar where I would definitely get the benefit of a "good" guitar over a "good for the price" guitar, but these things are relative and these days you can get a very good guitar without spending ridiculous amounts of money.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I definitely used to buy into the whole "higher price = better build" thing, but over the last year I've made an effort to challenge that. Recently I had a spare £2500 to upgrade my rig, I ended up trading my guitar and my amp head! spending no money and being much happier with the tones I'm getting. My pedalboard has cost me under £60 to build and it's bloody awesome! I went to pmt to try and blow £1000-£1200 on a nice strat, but nothing at that level touched my humble godin. I'd love to own a really expensive les Paul but with what I do I just can't justify it, not when the rig I have already does what I want.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    I bought it from a very reliable source.  It's not Tom Murphy's handiwork. I'm waiting for the documentation to come through before giving any detail about it.

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883

Skipped said:
    We would have to define distinctly expensive. Last Pre-Historic at a UK dealer was in the North West a few months ago. 4000 UK pounds. Sold quickly. Late 80's.   
    ;)
    I'd certainly consider that to be expensive. 

The only reason I don't sell mine is that I'll never be able to afford another.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9671
    edited May 2014
    Zodiac51 said:

Life is too short to play BAD guitars......

Corrected
    ;)

Plenty of decent cheapish guitars out there such as Squier CV Teles.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    £1400.

Not sure why. More than that just feels wrong.

Having said that, I keep looking at the used McCarty in CODA for £1600. I always wanted one of them. :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449

£1400.

Having said that, I keep looking at the used McCarty in CODA for £1600. I always wanted one of them. :)
    You could offer £1400 - there may be some haggle room.  They may not come down £200 but I'm sure they would come down a bit or chuck in 10 sets of strings and a strap or something like that.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    crunchman said:

£1400.

You could offer £1400 - there may be some haggle room.  They may not come down £200 but I'm sure they would come down a bit or chuck in 10 sets of strings and a strap or something like that.
    Actually - is 1600 (or even 1400) not a bit steep for a 20-year old McCarty? What do decent used ones normally go for?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449

crunchman said:

£1400.

Actually - is 1600 (or even 1400) not a bit steep for a 20-year old McCarty? What do decent used ones normally go for?
    In a private sale it would be too much.  In a shop its maybe a bit high but not outrageous - especially if they have left a bit of haggle room in the price.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    Skipped said:
    Can I have a guess?

Pre-Historic?  (Very nice either way)

I think it's pre Historic as well…

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    edited May 2014
    I think it's either;

i) A Dave Johnson makeover

ii) A Kim LeFleur Historic Makeover

iii) A Florian Jaeger makeover

My '93 R6 is a 'Pre-Historic' and the lacquer did nowt like that.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27508
    TTony said:
    I've bought a distinctly expensive guitar last week (don't ask me how much, because I'm keeping that to myself even though I'm only answerable to myself). It's almost certainly a lifetime one off, as I had some money come my way in the last few weeks. All I will say is it's rather old, looks great, and sounds phenomenal.
    Pics @archtopdave we need pics.  Once you've removed the price tag of course!!
    Purely to gratify your base needs!!

I have so little clue as to what that might be, that I'm not even going to embarrass myself by guessing.

But, to everyone else, I should warn you that Dave has some incredibly high standards, and very discerning tastes, so reckon on it being something at the end of the the special scale.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    If it affects your family and causes your loved ones to go without, then its too much!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    sted said:
    If it affects your family and causes your loved ones to go without, then its too much!
    Nonsense. The children can pinch the other kids' packed lunches at school, and the Mrs can get fed at work.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited May 2014
    So much depends on your financial situation.  When I was a student I played in bands for several years with one guitar (Tokai Strat) and one amp.  

Now I'm older, few quid in the bank, no dependants, mortgage paid off I can indulge myself a bit but I'm not reckless and usually have half an eye on resale value.

Most I've paid is for a Les Paul, a few weeks old and in mint condition.  Paid £2,200 but then had it re-fretted and fitted with Bareknuckles to bring the total cost to nearer £2,800. Ended up with a guitar that's perfectly specced for me and still cost £500 less than the new price.  

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”