Another expensive and addicitive hobby - Lego...

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    It’s my daughter’s birthday next week, so I took her to Kingston to have a look around at what’s in the shops to give us some ideas. 

We we were in Bentalls and had a look at the Lego. 

They had a Millenium Falcon in there for £649.99! I had no idea the sets got that expensive. 

How much could you realistically expect it to go up in value?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    I have loved Lego for about 40 years. I haven't bought much for myself recently. In the last year I bought the Detective's Office (one of the modular street sets). I would love to buy more but I can't justify the expense. My daughter is the major buyer now - she has almost all the new Harry potter sets. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    CHRISB50 said:
    It’s my daughter’s birthday next week, so I took her to Kingston to have a look around at what’s in the shops to give us some ideas. 

We we were in Bentalls and had a look at the Lego. 

They had a Millenium Falcon in there for £649.99! I had no idea the sets got that expensive. 

How much could you realistically expect it to go up in value?
    If you don't open it, wait until it discontinued, it should go up a couple of hundred in the short run.  

The old set was £400 and it was going for £2,000 before this new set was released.  Obviously no one buys the old set anymore with the new set being larger, more detailed and relatively cheaper.
  • Star Wars Lego..

Having two boys helps.. I have taken over since they migrated to Xbox as their source of fun.

I proudly display my Millenium Falcon, Death Star, X-Wing, Slave One, and a number of dioramas.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I know a few people have custom made glass box coffee tables where the Falcon sits inside and gets displayed permanently in the front room.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    edited August 2019

Bought the 10030 UCS Star Destroyer a few years ago on Ebay for £120. It's packed away at the minute due to having nowhere to display it (it's three feet long). Current prices on Ebay have them at around £400-£700 so not a bad investment.

My son also has the smaller version along with around twenty other models, including some first editions from when Lego first started making it. Really need to dig it out of the attic at some point. 

https://imgur.com/a/d2bW5do

https://imgur.com/a/trUSU7W

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    My Wife works for Lego and we’ve got far too much, more than we can handle. Quite nice to have the special sets that only employees get though. Unfortunately it all takes up too much room
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 455
    Stevepage said:
    My Wife works for Lego and we’ve got far too much, more than we can handle. Quite nice to have the special sets that only employees get though. Unfortunately it all takes up too much room
    I'm happy to be the good Samaritan and take them off your hands... 
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Mate of mine has the Saturn V, which is fully impressive with it's 1969 parts.. 

Daughter is still on the Duplo stages of life.. i'm looking forward to when she wants actual lego and to build anything other than a house or a tower...
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Stevepage said:
    sew her pockets up....
    Visited Knowsley safari park recently. They have giant Lego Animals made from hundreds of thousands of pieces and look amazing.They are there till sept . 
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    edited August 2019
    LuttiS said:
    Mate of mine has the Saturn V, which is fully impressive with it's 1969 parts.. 

Daughter is still on the Duplo stages of life.. i'm looking forward to when she wants actual lego and to build anything other than a house or a tower...
    Big Lego fans in this household, partners into Christmas train sets, we’re both into the modular town, I’ve also build the huge Porsche GT3 and Masterbuilt y wing. Had great time building them. Oh sons into the Harry Potter and daughter is into creator fairground sets
    were currently in London on Holliday, Lego store is amazing, I bought the tron bike set for going on top of my new speakers. 
    I think the Saturn V has been discontinued, but I was looking at it in hamleys yesterday.... is it worth getting?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I have to admit that I don't really get it, a bit like comic books and video games.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    octatonic said:
    I have to admit that I don't really get it, a bit like comic books and video games.
    Kids gone to bed, few whiskeys, play a few records, really relaxing. Alternative to board game or film. 
    edited August 2019
    KDS said:
    octatonic said:
    Kids gone to bed, few whiskeys, play a few records, really relaxing. Alternative to board game or film. 
    Until you realize you've fkd it up and you cant get your pissed sausage fingers to separate the tiny minuscule pieces that you've put in arse ways around.
    Even though its hardly noticeable you know its wrong and you must correct it.
    This leads to further destruction and results in swigs of whisky larger than John Wayne would take getting  an arrow pulled out of his leg.
    Then you realize the instructions are wrong and you don't need them anymore just another swig of whikkskky and you'll soon have it sorted...
    The Kids are gonna be well impressed in the Morning you tell yourself as you push just that little piece in a little bit further in anticipation of a little click.. Instead you smash the lot all over the laminate floor with the piece you will never find sliding under the dog...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JAYJO said:
    KDS said:
    octatonic said:
    Until you realize you've fkd it up and you cant get your pissed sausage fingers to separate the tiny minuscule pieces that you've put in arse ways around.
    Even though its hardly noticeable you know its wrong and you must correct it.
    This leads to further destruction and results in swigs of whisky larger than John Wayne would take getting  an arrow pulled out of his leg.
    Then you realize the instructions are wrong and you don't need them anymore just another swig of whikkskky and you'll soon have it sorted...
    The Kids are gonna be well impressed in the Morning you tell yourself as you push just that little piece in a little bit further in anticipation of a little click.. Instead you smash the lot all over the laminate floor with the piece you will never find sliding under the dog...
    It’s part of the fun.... I dimly recall over Christmas the flat six in Porsche didn’t quiet fit... cue next evening complete engine rebuilt
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh and don’t get me on the flappy paddle gearbox, or the double clutch 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    octatonic said:
    I have to admit that I don't really get it
    Me, either. Proper Lego has no specially-shaped pieces that make it easy to build something. In the old days, Lego builds looked, well, pixellated - it was part of the charm. You had to have an actual imagination to work out how to make something.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I remember getting Lego for my 8th birthday, it was the best present I ever got and kept me occupied for hours.

Back in those days I can't remember any of the sort of kits you can get now, just red bricks and white bricks and that was it. Pure imagination, intuition and painfully steping onto stray bricks.

One thing I really don't like is hearing "Legos" used as a plural for the bricks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    goldtop said:
    octatonic said:
    I have to admit that I don't really get it
    Me, either. Proper Lego has no specially-shaped pieces that make it easy to build something. In the old days, Lego builds looked, well, pixellated - it was part of the charm. You had to have an actual imagination to work out how to make something.

They sell kits to make whatever you want. But it has evolved