Thick bright pick that doesn’t chirp ?

What's Hot
lysanderlysander Frets: 574
edited August 2019 in Guitar
I like thick picks with bevelled edges, ala jazz iii XL or even thicker.
I found that ultex picks have an insane amount of chirp noise and are also a tad dark sounding for me - no good.
The nylon ones have a bit less chirp but again sound a bit dark for my taste.

Best I have found so far are Winspear stealth carbon picks - I love the timbre they produce ( sharp and harmonic rich attack ) and the feel, and the chirp isn’t too bad, but they leave black dust residue and I’m wearing mine done at a rather alarming rate so they likely won’t last.

Curious if you guys have other recommendations. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6752
    V-Picks. I use large triangular 3mm and find them chirp free. I bought 10 a while back and go through them pretty slowly and I think models have changed so I don't know the exact version... They're totally clear and totally brilliant. 
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited August 2019
    To be clear by chirp I mean the sound that the pick makes when touching the string, with or without actually playing a note.
    On some picks it sounds a bit like fretting a super high note.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Planet Waves Black Ice.
    This is exactly my problem with Ultex and PWBI's are completely brilliant.
    1.5mm

I buy them by the 100 pack on Amazon for £17.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
    I settled on the Dunlop Primetone 1.5mm for electric. I tried many Gravity, Chicken Picks etc but they all chirp too much

• I use V-Picks too (and home made perspex picks), but I only use the neck pickup so that helps kill the chirp anyway. 

RandallFlag: I'm surprised that Chicken Picks didnt work for you (yeah ok, there's pun value there)  as they dont have a shiny surface. Nor will they take a smooth surface by wear or polishing. The material always remains satin like. Because of this, they produce a small amount of white noise in use and (In my experience) one of the better anti chirpers!
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4266
    Wegen Bluegrass picks might fit the bill.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4285
    You mentïon 'wearing at an alarming rate'. If that is an issue, then the best (albeit expensive) option is Blue Chip. They do them with beveled edge, definitely not chirpy in my experience. I would maybe question if they are bright enough for what you want, but you should definitely try one at some point, as they do not wear out in any way at all, which is a massive bonus.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16166
    V Pick for sure butI have done loads of experimenting with grip and different picks for exactly this reason........I have found that if you don't hold pick so tight the "chirp" diminishes.......the softer grip mutes it because its not so rigid and resonant.
    Thanks for all the answers ! I had the prime tones in my sight but not the black ice.
    I’ve read reports that the blue chip picks are very chirpy though.

I don’t mind picks wearing down a bit, but when they’re around £7 a piece, take weeks to ship and look asymmetrical after a few hours of playing it’s a bit much for me ( still think they’re great picks though ).
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6752
    Oh, any of the casein picks may work for you. I have a couple of John Pearse picks that seem to work pretty well in not producing chirp. And being thick. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    edited August 2019
    I recently went from using Jazz III ultex picks to Jazz III reds after watching the video below, because the chirp was bothering me.

The only problem I'm having is getting used to the wear on the reds compared to the ultex picks.

It's not a competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8767
    Like many of us I experiment with different picks. The thick version of these are my current favourite. Rigid, nice sound, and cheap. https://www.blackdogmusic.co.uk/product/10-carbon-fiber-picks-0-5mm-1-0mm-or-1-2mm/
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Another thumbs up for V picks, the jalapeño or the euro II work for me & don’t leave any residue.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    I recently went from using Jazz III ultex picks to Jazz III reds after watching the video below, because the chirp was bothering me.

The only problem I'm having is getting used to the wear on the reds compared to the ultex picks.

Bloody hell that guy can play

For electric I use tortex 1mm and throw them out after 5-6 hours

I use jim dunlop 1mm nylons on acoustic cos they sound closer to fingers

For high gain I find picking very close to the bridge on the wound strings pretty much eliminates pick noise 
  • Not sure how chirpy my favored Tortex 0.88 are, but I do know my aluminium Teck Picks are very chirpy and leave your fingers grey.

But I quite like a bit of pick chirp. It's one of my favourite things about this... 

Dominic said:
    V Pick for sure butI have done loads of experimenting with grip and different picks for exactly this reason........I have found that if you don't hold pick so tight the "chirp" diminishes.......the softer grip mutes it because its not so rigid and resonant.
    That’s interesting, from the acrylic material I would have thought they have massive chirp.
    Also interesting regarding grip, though there’s a limit to how fast one can play with a loose grip ?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4900
    octatonic said:
    Planet Waves Black Ice.
    This is exactly my problem with Ultex and PWBI's are completely brilliant.
    1.5mm

I buy them by the 100 pack on Amazon for £17.

Agree with you 100 percent, these are great and well priced. My only criticism is they are ever so slightly smaller than jazz III XLs. I've recently tried a Primetone and that's also great but pricey.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3277
    Have you tried bone picks? I find they do warmth and clarity (better than stone or wood). Don’t know where the wife got them from but it’s proved the best value stocking filler in 13 years.
  • Hawk Picks or Bluechips
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    lysander said:
    Dominic said:
    That’s interesting, from the acrylic material I would have thought they have massive chirp.
    Also interesting regarding grip, though there’s a limit to how fast one can play with a loose grip ?
    I used V Pick 3mm thick for a while and that’s when I discovered the whole “chirp” thing. Moved to Gravity 2mm picks and the noise went away. I guess it all depends on your playing style / setup?