Thick bright pick that doesn’t chirp ?

What's Hot

Comments

• gordijigordiji Frets: 787
    Not sure how chirpy my favored Tortex 0.88 are, but I do know my aluminium Teck Picks are very chirpy and leave your fingers grey. 

But I quite like a bit of pick chirp. It's one of my favourite things about this... 

Classic. I'll stick to my 3mm Big Stubbies being a chirp lover.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    The Dunlop Flow picks seem pretty un-chirpy to me, not sure if they'd be bright enough for you, but I wouldn't call them dark-sounding. I really like the Flow Jumbo 3.0mm one myself.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19021
    roberty said:
    For electric I use tortex 1mm and throw them out after 5-6 hours
    No wonder the world is drowning in plastic  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Megii said:
    The Dunlop Flow picks seem pretty un-chirpy to me, not sure if they'd be bright enough for you, but I wouldn't call them dark-sounding. I really like the Flow Jumbo 3.0mm one myself.
    I like the flow and flow jumbo shapes but I find them super chirpy, like all ultex picks. Funny that it seems so personal.
    Timbre wise I find them ok - a bit dull but not the worst.
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 136
    https://www.davapick.com/picks/jazz_grip
    Ive been trying these Dava picks recently.... may not be stiff enough for you but they do quite a range ..I haven't tried them all ... strings direct sell them 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    lysander said:
    Megii said:
    I like the flow and flow jumbo shapes but I find them super chirpy, like all ultex picks. Funny that it seems so personal.
    Timbre wise I find them ok - a bit dull but not the worst.
    Fair enough, ignore suggestion! It is a strange how it varies for different people though I agree. :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    roberty said:
    For electric I use tortex 1mm and throw them out after 5-6 hours
    No wonder the world is drowning in plastic  ;)

Well not quite, there's a drawer full of them. They're good for bass when worn. I'd like to find something more durable that plays more or less the same
  • Petrucci Jazz IIIs last forever. My favourite pick, by a distance.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Have tried out many of the suggestions above. I find it's the material hardness that causes the chirp. So v-picks and gravity being made of acrylic have a more noticeable chirp.

I have very similar requirements to you (I.e. I want it to be rigid and thick) and I bought many variety packs including Dunlop, dava, v picks, gravity, brossard, Clayton, etc. must have tried more than 50 types of picks. I too quite like the jazz III XL. 

Not mentioned much anywhere (partly cause you never see them in stores), but I recommend the 3.0mm Dunlop Jazztones for a rigid thick pick (many shapes for you to choose from). It's not as dull as a nylon pick as it's harder material but not hard enough to chirp.

Primetones are good too. But they are much more expensive. I've not tried wegen or blue chip as they cost way too much for something I will inevitably lose and have to replace many times. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    edited August 2019
    Dunlop 3mm Small stubbies, used them for years after Eros picks  disappeared. After watching the video he really does have a very clumsy pick grip, so much do that “chirp” is inevitable 
    Branshen said:
    Have tried out many of the suggestions above. I find it's the material hardness that causes the chirp. So v-picks and gravity being made of acrylic have a more noticeable chirp.

I have very similar requirements to you (I.e. I want it to be rigid and thick) and I bought many variety packs including Dunlop, dava, v picks, gravity, brossard, Clayton, etc. must have tried more than 50 types of picks. I too quite like the jazz III XL. 

Not mentioned much anywhere (partly cause you never see them in stores), but I recommend the 3.0mm Dunlop Jazztones for a rigid thick pick (many shapes for you to choose from). It's not as dull as a nylon pick as it's harder material but not hard enough to chirp.

Primetones are good too. But they are much more expensive. I've not tried wegen or blue chip as they cost way too much for something I will inevitably lose and have to replace many times. 
    Thanks for the suggestion ! Will check them out.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    lysander said:
    Branshen said:

Thanks for the suggestion ! Will check them out.
    They come in a variety of shapes: large, small, pointed tip, rounded tip and a few more. If you like the Jazz III XL shape, the jazztone 208 is the closest in size and has a fairly pointed tip. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2965
    tFB Trader

I like 2.5 or 3mm V-picks. Didn't watch all that vid but looked like matey was hitting at quite an angle, do that with a V-pick and it will be very chirpy.

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Try the picks that Lollar build, made of the same celluloide material used on statocaster pickup bobbins.
  • I've been a fan of PW/D'Addario Cortex picks for a while, the 0.73s or 0.80s or whatever size it is. I don't get chirp on electric with Ernie Balls or D'Addarios and I never used to get it on my acoustic when I used Elixirs.

Of course, if you use Elixirs (and I don't anymore cos I hate how they feel and they cost a fucking fortune - only had them on there cos the previous owner had them on when I got it) you'll get a bunch of white dust everywhere whether your pick wears away or not.

I switched to some acoustic Ernies and the chirp appeared immediately with Cortex. I tried some Ultex picks and it was even worse.

Might give those black PWs a go...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    More of a technique thing than pick material.
    He's emphasised the 'chirp' so that's what we'll all be listening for now.
    I call shenanigans on this cork-sniffing crap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Sassafras said:
    When you expose that much of the pick to the string then chirping is inevitable
    Sassafras said:
    I can assure you if you use the correct technique for fast picking and a thick pick the chirping with some picks is very real and distracting.
    No cork sniffing at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5297
    blue chip picks get my vote....just take care not to lose them as it hurts the pocket
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    I never realised this was even an issue for some players, but now that I have heard it in that video I can't unhear it